Grim outlook for exports as trade war escalates

webfact

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Hoping he will find time to retrospect his conduct and decide he take solace in a wat and announced he is not taking the self anointed post. He will also surrender himself to the military court on treason charges. 

Nice work if it happens but I think I will see 6 feet of snow here in rural Khampaeng Phet before he does that.

If he did get that far his mate Apirat will stage yet another coup and grant him amnesty.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Traubert said:

It's widely known that countries that trade with America have to accept American media. The Chinese Government wont entertain it and the people dont want it.

Chinese people don't get any say. It's commieland.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

The US blow-out will come when OPEC and/or Saudi-Arabia opens oil sales in other currencies than the US dollar.

The entire tariff-charade is a joke. It is, like others have said, not China that pays this tariff, but the end-user. The consumer is the one who foots the bill. If the price increases so much its no longer competitive and the sales drop, sure THAT does hurt chinese exports. But 25%? I doubt that makes much of a bump.

And remember, Thailand was in US crosshairs not so long ago over currency manipulation. Any country that carries a large trade surplus against the US will be in the crosshairs.

The big factor here is the psychology I think. This war of words, if it escalates, will crush the overinflated stockmarkets and might send the global economy in the shitter for a long time. But the one that will be the most hurt, in my opinion, is the USA. So for me, this is Trump putting a bullet in the head of the american eagle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Chinese people don't get any say. It's commieland.

Hello Mr McCarthy.

Does the acronym VPN mean anything to you?

Even the cheapest TV's (television, sir, invented in 1907, in England, about the same time you were born) in China have onboard computers now and are linked to a mobile phone through bluetooth.

Have a look at iQiYi, it blows Netflix and HBO out of the water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Does the acronym VPN mean anything to you?

Yes. Means to access western media, the one you just said Chinese don't want. 

Looks like they reeeaaaally don't want any of it:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/13/media/avengers-endgame-box-office-china/index.html

The Disney (DIS) and Marvel movie pulled in $18.3 million in China over the weekend, bringing its total earnings to $603 million and cementing its place as the country's highest-grossing foreign film ever, according to industry tracker Ent Group. "Endgame" is only the third movie — and the first foreign title — to cross the $600 million mark in China.

I just watched Wandering Earth last week. Gringeworthy. But hey they like it over western scifi, right? So much so they'd never flock out of the country the first time they get the chance. 

15 hours ago, Traubert said:

Yup, any right thinking manufacturer or service provider needs to withdraw from a domestic market representing 20% of the world market.

The whole argument is because China won't let the Americans in on their own terms.

Example. Hollywood films are restricted to 34 releases a year in China, because the Government don't want the drugs, violence, crime, foul language and bodycount extravaganzas that Hollywood films are, on general view. China has the biggest box office in the world by several miles. Companies should walk away from that?

It's widely known that countries that trade with America have to accept American media. The Chinese Government wont entertain it and the people dont want it.

Now they want the Chinese to start amending their statute book to suit. The f*****g cheek of it.

Wait until the petro-yuan starts appearing and Donald and his cohorts will be finished.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks in such black and white, short term ways. 

I like women, and women in Thailand are:

1. abundant

2. inexpensive

3. approachable 

But, I won't bed every such woman I see because I value a) my marriage, b) finances and c) health. I have a longer term view of the situation, rather than just sex. 

I acknowledge China is a massive, potentially profitable market. And it is ideal to be in that market. 

However, if being in the market under Chinese terms is a severe long-term risk to national security and economic security, then the short-term economic gains should be made a 2nd order priority so that the 20, 30, 50 year strategy is sound. 

15 hours ago, RobbyXNorway said:

The US blow-out will come when OPEC and/or Saudi-Arabia opens oil sales in other currencies than the US dollar.

The entire tariff-charade is a joke. It is, like others have said, not China that pays this tariff, but the end-user. The consumer is the one who foots the bill. If the price increases so much its no longer competitive and the sales drop, sure THAT does hurt chinese exports. But 25%? I doubt that makes much of a bump.

And remember, Thailand was in US crosshairs not so long ago over currency manipulation. Any country that carries a large trade surplus against the US will be in the crosshairs.

The big factor here is the psychology I think. This war of words, if it escalates, will crush the overinflated stockmarkets and might send the global economy in the shitter for a long time. But the one that will be the most hurt, in my opinion, is the USA. So for me, this is Trump putting a bullet in the head of the american eagle.

Tariffs work plain and simple.  Why do you think China is retaliating if they don't work lol.  Wake up.

15 hours ago, Benroon said:

Making those products uncompetitive so they won't be imported - that's the point of tariffs - you price the competition out of the business.

Why is that so difficult to understand ?

But it is a two way street. China doesn't have to import that much stuff from the USA. Already US farmers have a surplus because China isn't buying as much food.

Big ticket items such as Boeing airliners will continue for a while until China buys Airbus products plus China's own civil aircraft industry is growing by leaps and bounds.

• Like 2

Just watch for the non tariff retaliation that China will use that will bring lots of pain to USA businesses. China has done this kind of retaliation in previous spats with South Korea and Japan. US businesses can be targeted in a slow down in Chinese administration, approvals and customs processing procedures. At it is now, perishable goods from USA have been delayed by custom procedures or sent back due to non compliance. The Chinese people have also launched campaigns to stop buying Japanese goods and can easily rejuvenate one against US products sold in China. They are very nationalistic and communal in facing external threats.  

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 8:20 AM, nobodysfriend said:

BS ! It is not China who pays the tariffs , it is the IMPORTERS of chinese goods who pay when their ordered chinese merchandise arrives in the US . That means that they will have to raise the prices for their imported stuff and the american consumer will pay it .

The Chinese are indirectly paying their fair share of the tariffs, since most exporters cut prices to stay competitive.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-17/chinese-factories-cut-prices-lay-off-workers-in-trade-war-ubs

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-19/china-is-paying-for-most-of-trump-s-trade-war-research-says

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, losworld said:

Why do you think their industries are growing so quickly... is it Chinese innovation?  greater productivity? I think not.  It is largely due to currency manipulation, state financing and subsidization, slave wages, environmental disregard, intellectual property theft and good old dumping.  Do you realize that companies such as Huawei are actually state enterprises?  China does not play fairly and this is what this trade war is all about.

In the word of Deng Xiping “doesn’t matter whether the cat is white or black as long as it catches the rat”. Started China economic reform to be the second largest global economy in less time that most western countries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

They are very nationalistic and communal in facing external threats.  

That's good, then the strategy that worked with USSR will work a treat. Isolate and let them screw it all up by themselves.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

That's good, then the strategy that worked with USSR will work a treat. Isolate and let them screw it all up by themselves.

Will work in USSR but the fallouts are far from the same. China home to hundreds of US companies and a GDP of 13 trillion usd. Their hurt will be felt around the world. 

19 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Will work in USSR but the fallouts are far from the same. China home to hundreds of US companies and a GDP of 13 trillion usd. Their hurt will be felt around the world. 

Worth it. Time to repatriate manufacturing and bring quality back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Just watch for the non tariff retaliation that China will use that will bring lots of pain to USA businesses. China has done this kind of retaliation in previous spats with South Korea and Japan. US businesses can be targeted in a slow down in Chinese administration, approvals and customs processing procedures. At it is now, perishable goods from USA have been delayed by custom procedures or sent back due to non compliance. The Chinese people have also launched campaigns to stop buying Japanese goods and can easily rejuvenate one against US products sold in China. They are very nationalistic and communal in facing external threats.  

Let's see how it goes. None of us really knows as it's too complex. 

The Chinese are crafty, mostly in their ability to deceive. It's impressive, but there may come a time when much of world will shun them. And then they'll be left with their massive, mostly poor market. 

On 5/13/2019 at 2:58 AM, webfact said:

Grim outlook for exports as trade war escalates

and in the mean time the IMPORTS and overseas travels among the rich and influential in the land of smiles will rise beyond means, slowly but surely.

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The Chinese are indirectly paying their fair share of the tariffs, since most exporters cut prices to stay competitive.

Not according to a study just published by researchers from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, Princeton and Columbia Universities, who say that:

"We find that the U.S. tariffs were almost completely passed through into U.S. domestic prices, so that the entire incidence of the tariffs fell on domestic consumers and importers up to now, with no impact so far on the prices received by foreign exporters,” the economists wrote.

“We also find that U.S. producers responded to reduced import competition by raising their prices.”

So the supposed benefit of US consumers  being able to buy cheaper alternatives from domestic producers does not seem to have come to fruition either.

Trump Tariffs costing US consumers $1.4 billion per month

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, losworld said:

It is largely due to currency manipulation, state financing and subsidization, slave wages, environmental disregard, intellectual property theft and good old dumping

Were these not the primary reasons many American companies choose to relocate to China?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

IMHO  it is the USA that needs Isolating judging by the current POTUS "work" over the past 2 years or so.

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Worth it. Time to repatriate manufacturing and bring quality back.

Have you any idea of the cost of doing that, how long it will take or who will have to pay for it?

Do you realise why companies went overseas with jobs? To cut the cost of labour to keep their prices down and their profits up.

Take Apple as an example.

How much will it cost to build new factories in the USA?

Where will Apple find enough qualified people to run those factories and at what salaries?

If/When Apple does that and produces an iPhone for the US market, paying US wages, what will its price be and who will be able to afford one?