Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

Except the insurance requirement is not new as it already exists for the other "long-stay" visa (OX) so it's not illogical for the other long-stay visa to have the same requirement. Extensions of Stay are completely different. 
Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

They are. But you can't explain the use of the word renewals.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't understand why just because Ubonjoe says something that we're supposed to always accept that as gospel truth.

Well it's not often he's wrong, but this time he's dead right.

If you understood the difference between a long stay Visa type and an extension of temporary stay, then you'd be in agreement.

Just now, Tanoshi said:

Well it's not often he's wrong, but this time he's dead right.

If you understood the difference between a long stay Visa type and an extension of temporary stay, then you'd be in agreement.

but some sources are using the term renewals! explain that

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

...For examples,

O visas if used as a start towards an extension

O-A visas obviously

"Renewal" of O-A visas when said to mean extensions. I have read people call that O-A renewal many times over the years when they never had an O-A visa!...

Because many foreigners and the press say visa when they mean extension and even the Immigration Bureau does so its website does not mean that other government agencies, in this case the Ministry of the Interior, have to adopt this wrong interpretation.

They are. But you can't explain the use of the word renewals.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Right. Poor choice of word or bad translation. But a visa "renewal" suggests a visa is involved in some way and not an Extension of Stay. Returning home after your OA visa has expired will mean a new visa if you want to go back to Thailand. The insurance requirement will also apply to this visa "renewal".

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Right. Poor choice of word or bad translation. But a visa "renewal" suggests a visa is involved in some way and not an Extension of Stay. Returning home after your OA visa has expired will mean a new visa if you want to go back to Thailand. The insurance requirement will also apply to this visa "renewal".

Suggests to you perhaps but to others, the renewal suggests an extension.

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes. As Tanoshi has explained, many people are confused about the difference between visas and extensions.

and perhaps the folks who announced the new rules as well. you don't know what they meant by renewal any more than I do

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

It was a poor choice of word from a Thai with limited English ability.

But he meant something by saying renewal. Why are you insisting on claiming that you know with certainty what he meant? That makes no sense to me. Why can't people JUST WAIT until it's actually possible to have definite certainty on these matters? 

5 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

and perhaps the folks who announced the new rules as well. you don't know what they meant by renewal any more than I do

Different folks, different strokes.

Immigration announced the new and amended rules of Police orders.

The Thai Health Department made the announcement about the new compulsory health Insurance

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

Different folks, different strokes.

Immigration announced the new and amended rules of Police orders.

The Thai Health Department made the announcement about the new compulsory health Insurance

and how does that prove you know what they meant by renewal?

1 minute ago, AYJAYDEE said:

and how does that prove you know what they meant by renewal?

The Thai IO shouldn't have made any comment at all.

The MFA cover Thai Embassies/Consulates who are the one's who will enforce the requirement.

Just now, Tanoshi said:

The Thai IO shouldn't have made any comment at all.

The MFA cover Thai Embassies/Consulates who are the one's who will enforce the requirement.

Lol! and who defines the requirement? and has it been done and announced already but with a poor choice of words? as I said, neither you nor I know. quit pretending youdo

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Why can't people JUST WAIT until it's actually possible to have definite certainty on these matters? 

Read post 341 in this thread from Thai Visa Health Protect and updated news articles since the original announcement, such as; https://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369468

If you still believe the proposal in any way affects extension applications, you need help.

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Read post 341 in this thread from Thai Visa Health Protect and updated news articles since the original announcement, such as; https://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369468

If you still believe the proposal in any way affects extension applications, you need help.

you just dont get it . he isnt saying he knows, he's saying YOU don't know. that article still uses the word renewal

1 minute ago, AYJAYDEE said:

Lol! and who defines the requirement? and has it been done and announced already but with a poor choice of words? as I said, neither you nor I know. quit pretending youdo

I know, it's obvious you don't.

Renew O-A Visa, replace O-A Visa, does it matter, it still has nothing to do with extensions.

Incidentally, I apply for a new extension, I can't renew it.

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

There you go again. Personal insults. Stop that. It's not helpful. 

A quote from your link that you FALSELY claim resolves the uncertainty --

“Current holders of this visa will have to produce proof of their health insurance for visa renewal,” she said. 

Just now, Tanoshi said:

I know, it's obvious you don't.

Renew O-A Visa, replace O-A Visa, does it matter, it still has nothing to do with extensions.

Incidentally, I apply for a new extension, I can't renew it.

you cant renew a visa either. you apply for a new one. 

4 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

you just dont get it . he isnt saying he knows, he's saying YOU don't know. that article still uses the word renewal

Oh, I get it fine.

She said that once the rule is implemented, applicants for the non-immigrant O-A visa, which is valid for one year from the date of issue, would be required to buy health insurance. 

“Current holders of this visa will have to produce proof of their health insurance for visa renewal,” she said. 

Renewal as already stated was a poor choice of word from a non native English speaker.

Just which part of 'O-A' or 'Visa' don't you understand.

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

Oh, I get it fine.

Renewal as already stated was a poor choice of word from a non native English speaker.

Just which part of 'O-A' or 'Visa' don't you understand.

of course it was a poor choice of words. and YOU DONT KNOW WHAT SHE MEANT BY IT. Neither do I but I'm not pretending I do. 

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

A quote from your link that you FALSELY claim resolves the uncertainty --

Are you suggesting you apply for a Visa at Immigration.

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Are you suggesting you apply for a Visa at Immigration.

Of course not for an O-A.

But yes many people do for the two step method O to retirement extension.

You're just playing games and acting like you don't get the issue. No need to continue with this ENDLESS LOOP. 

6 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

of course it was a poor choice of words. and YOU DONT KNOW WHAT SHE MEANT BY IT. Neither do I but I'm not pretending I do. 

What do you think she meant by it?

Just now, Tanoshi said:

What do you think she meant by it?

I DONT know. But I DO KNOW  better than to blindly believe interpretations by others here that are just as in the dark about what she meant as I am.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

But yes many people do for the two step method O to retirement extension.

It is not a Visa by definition, it's a Non O stamp.

A Visa obtained at an Embassy would allow at least one entry.

Just now, Tanoshi said:

It is not a Visa by definition, it's a Non O stamp.

A Visa obtained at an Embassy would allow at least one entry.

Incorrect. It's a 90 day VISA. When you fill out your extension applications in the blank for VISA TYPE - you enter O.  Let's not go off topic with that now though, OK? 

Archived