Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

Now your being absolutely ridiculous.
I've given explanations not of my own, but from a website.

Is this another of your 'what if' conspiracies.

The term 'renewal' is often used in the UK, meaning something needs replacing with new.
Contracts quite often use the word 'renewal' which relates to the period a contract needs to be renewed.
Dead right he pumps out the what if threads at an alarming rate. I have wondered if there is mental illness or depression there.. It's not normal. I hope he can pull away from TV

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, madmen said:
9 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The term 'renewal' is often used in the UK, meaning something needs replacing with new.
Contracts quite often use the word 'renewal' which relates to the period a contract needs to be renewed.

Dead right he pumps out the what if threads at an alarming rate. I have wondered if there is mental illness or depression there.. It's not normal. I hope he can pull away from TV

what if threads are a refreshing change from the numerous know it all posts so common here

4 minutes ago, madmen said:
11 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If Ayjadee or Jingthing actually took out a Medical Policy and it had a 'renewal' date, I wouldn't want to be on the other end of the phone trying to explain.

8 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If Ayjadee or Jingthing actually took out a Medical Policy and it had a 'renewal' date, I wouldn't want to be on the other end of the phone trying to explain.

Don't worry, you definitely wouldn't be on the other end of the phone for long. I would only deal with a company that KNEW what they were selling.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:47 AM, Knee Jerk Reaction said:

If this comes about the government needs to launch an affordable government provided scheme because the private health insurance companies just can't be trusted to reimburse. I suffered a subarachnoid haemorrhage that needed a life saving operation and 2 weeks in ICU and a further 2 weeks under observation and rehabilitation (the surgeon and nursing staff were exceptional and along with my wife's prompt action saved my life). The final bill came to 1.6m Baht. Initially the insurance company tried to get out of reimbursing me altogether but after much argument they begrudgingly came up with a final offer of 370,000 Baht, despite my policy covering me for 5m Baht. The insurer also refused to pay for 6 monthly angiograms that are required as part of my follow up treatment. After that fiasco I changed insurance companies to a well known American one. A year later I needed a stomach operation. The new insurance provider is still trying to avoid paying the cost of 1.7m Baht by ridiculously saying that the stomach condition was related to the brain haemorrhage, even though my surgeons have informed them that they can't possibly be connected. The surgeons at the hospital told me that their patients have no end of problems with the insurance providers. I have already come to the conclusion that it is cheaper to self insure. That option should not be removed.

This is at the crux of the issue. Expensive insurance we all know they won't pay out on.

All of you with policies. Please stop thinking you're set because of x and y. We will all have to buy from a predetermined list that makes the process idiot proof for IO and sees that your good money is sent into the right people's pockets. Yes, a list of current acceptable policies online or even on paper is easy enough but TiT.

Can we stop debating the OA or all O visa question? It is OA visa, it is possible that it is or will be all O extensions. From my years of experience I would say if they are not included now, they will be. Up to you, plan accordingly.

Can people stop stating that the 4/800k are not connected to the issue? The individuals bringing this up are rightly asking - if this money isn't for emergencies, what the hell is it for?!

I'm still wondering about teachers on B visas. The insurance is shonky, they are foreigners. May be a loophole here. Nevertheless, the coverage no way meets the proposed standard, especially outpatient.

Also B visa holders, business men, call center con-artists. I absolutely see these people with targets on their backs.

If nothing else, I'm tired of all the life changing knee jerk changes, The elections were a huge disappointment, Thailand is getting more and more expensive by the month, the THB is overvalued so I've no interest in bringing money in, zero interest in buying a poorly built, windowless overpriced coffin, the BTS MRT system barely functions, the streets smell of sewage leaking from the garbage trucks, meth is out of control as is gun violence.

This is America's story, an aging nation of old people and complicated problems. This should not be an East Asian nation's problems. The economy is 2.7% growth and debt is said to be nearly 80% of GDP. This is not the young, dynamic Asia I saw 30 20 10 years ago. It's a banana republic looking more like the Philippines than Singapore.

The corruption is getting to me. Uneducated people enforcing law from the street cop all the way to the top. The mobile phone addiction on public transportation is becoming a serious issue for me. People so glued to their phones they become obstacles, truly zombies.

Personally, if I wasn't married I would be long gone. I'm looking to repatriate at 62.

The insurance needs to be super cheap and worthless to me because that's what the value of it is. I'm willing to bet anyone a beer you will have to select insurance from a pre selected list, suck up any pre existing conditions.

800k is a reasonable amount of money to have aside for emergency expenses. Let's hope that the government is smart enough to see this (perhaps add 200k every 5 years at 70). If an expatriate needs to spend that down and cannot replenish they will be given a "departure" stamp, one year to sort their lives and they are done.

As soon as the housing market in US really starts to soften, I'm looking...

Like I tell my wife about traveling, sometimes there's a really great must see spot - but it's been utterly thrashed. People continue to go because one simply must see it. Everyone goes, it's expensive and everyone disappointed. Sometimes it's just too late. For me, while I'm living and not holidaying in Thailand it is nonetheless too late.

Luckily I'm making a good living, paid in THB, I'd have been gone five years ago.

1 minute ago, AYJAYDEE said:

visas arent renewable

You'd better let Siam Legal know:

Siam Legal International offers service to process Retirement Visa to Thailand for UK citizens. This visa provides the following:

• Multiple-entry travel to Thailand.
  • Valid for use for a period of 1 calendar year.
  • The visa is renewable every year and can be renewed inside Thailand (applicant must meet the requirements for the visa renewal).
  • Ability to open bank (savings) account in Thailand.
  • Ability to apply for Permanent Residency after renewals.

4 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

You'd better let Siam Legal know:

Siam Legal International offers service to process Retirement Visa to Thailand for UK citizens. This visa provides the following:

• Multiple-entry travel to Thailand.
  • Valid for use for a period of 1 calendar year.
  • The visa is renewable every year and can be renewed inside Thailand (applicant must meet the requirements for the visa renewal).
  • Ability to open bank (savings) account in Thailand.
  • Ability to apply for Permanent Residency after renewals.

that's their problem. try getting a new non 0-a inside thailand

19 minutes ago, yodsak said:

siam legal aren't talking about OA visas

it's the normal 1 yr retirement visa obtained here

renewal means extend

the visa isnt being extended, the permission to stay is being extended

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

No it isn't. "Renew", "replace", :extend" a VISA, not an Extension of Stay. It's clearly about visas however much people want to play around and try to make more of it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The Thai guy said renew he meant extend.  It's a no brainer. I guess it would be impossible for a newspaper reporter to call him up and ask? 

Page 100 keep them coming boys......lol

Dont feel left out guys.......What ever visa your on they are hard at work thinking up some required insurance that will be expensive and so crappy that it will be all but useless to you......lol

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Visas can't be extended.

I had an O-A visa 20 years ago and I've extended my stay every year since.  This is bunches of fun arguing about a pedantic point in translation and the insurance cash registers are going ca ching ca ching but wouldn't it make sense to ask him what he meant?

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

How many times does it need to be explained to you?  Your visa expired years ago. You have been on Extensions of Stay. 

Since the guy said renew visa maybe you should explain it to him.  I could be in error or you could or the translator could or the Thai guy could.  Easy way to find out.  Call him up and ask him if he meant extension.  

7 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Extension of visa

No.  Visas cannot be extended. A visa is a sticker or stamp that allows you to enter a country for a specific purpose. Visas are issued by overseas Consulates and Embassies.  On entering the country an Immigration Officer will stamp your passport with a Permission to Stay date.  That date can subsequently be extended at an Immigration Office.  The original visa will have expired.

Hope this helps.

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Since the guy said renew visa maybe you should explain it to him.  I could be in error or you could or the translator could or the Thai guy could.  Easy way to find out.  Call him up and ask him if he meant extension.  

Who cares what "the guy" said, or did not say, or is quoted as saying?  Subsequent reporting has made it clear.  You may enjoy being deliberately obtuse, and I guess I enjoy replying, but while it is fun, it's not really helping anyone.

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Who cares what "the guy" said, or did not say, or is quoted as saying?  Subsequent reporting has made it clear.  You may enjoy being deliberately obtuse, and I guess I enjoy replying, but while it is fun, it's not really helping anyone.

Subsequent reporting?  No other government sources have been queried.  It is just reporters opinions.  No better than mine and probably not as good.

1 hour ago, AYJAYDEE said:

that's their problem. try getting a new non 0-a inside thailand

My point is that most Thais call an "extension" a "renewal" except the Immigration Department and the pedants here. When I say "most Thais" I'm including Saowapa Jongkittipong, who leads the Health Service Support Department’s International Health Division, quoted in the media

Just now, ThaiBunny said:

My point is that most Thais call an "extension" a "renewal" except the Immigration Department and the pedants here. When I say "most Thais" I'm including Saowapa Jongkittipong, who leads the Health Service Support Department’s International Health Division, quoted in the media

as youve never met him, youre making an assumption. I suspect theyre gonna get the exemptions too but I wouldnt say for sure. It MIGHT refer to getting a new Non O-A back in the home country. No one knows for sure because so far nothing has been announced using the legal definitions of the immigration act

1 minute ago, AYJAYDEE said:

as youve never met him, youre making an assumption. I suspect theyre gonna get the exemptions too but I wouldnt say for sure. It MIGHT refer to getting a new Non O-A back in the home country. No one knows for sure because so far nothing has been announced using the legal definitions of the immigration act

I'm making an assumption. Wow, I never realised that

OK, a rant, a long rant...

This whole debacle of upcoming changes regarding mandatory insurance is having an effect on me; I’m having a kind of mental block about it.

Let’s assume it applies to me, retirement.

I’m already very edgy regarding the 800.000 /400.000 rule because I think it is not fair when you compare it with monthly 65.000THB.

You can’t touch or use your 800.000/400.000 but they allow you to spend your 65.000THB as you wish.

For me, I understand that they want me to show that I can take care

of myself and my account shows that. But, I can’t touch it...crazy.

Furthermore I get peanuts (interest) on that semi-locked account.

Don’t like that at all. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I need the money,

it’s the fact that I can’t touch it (or at least a big chunk of it).

Now, with the mandatory insurance thingy, I get really upset.

60/70/80.000 THB for a theoretical coverage of 400K/40K but

we all know how that’s gonna work out.

I understand the requirement, it’s better for everyone if one is fully

insured but this ‘scheme’ seems tailored to extract as much money

as they can and I’m getting sick of it.

And the reason for all this is because we don’t pay our hospital bills.

Seeing the figures in the Nation it is clear to me that the biggest chunk

is caused by uninsured tourist. How can 60/70.000 O-A’s rack up

600.000 unpaid bills? How can they be the cause of -300M THB?

For me, the insurance scheme is bull..., the reason for it is bull... too

I’m all for fair but this is going to far.

A poster wrote something along the lines of ‘how high do you want

me to jump? Higher!’ 

I don’t wanna jump higher, I’m NOT gonna jump higher.

I feel already stupid enough to have jumped this high. 

If things are like they are going to be then I will not renew,

extend or whatever you wanna call that stampy thingy in my passport.

Nobody needs to feel sorry, Thailand will not shed one tear but

upholding my principles are far more important than an unsure future

that lies ahead of me.

I’m a guest in this country, I know. But I’m treated as someone who you

can’t trust, who reports to his parole officer every 90 days, for many,

many years and now I’m gonna get screwed over with a crappy, expensive

insurance?

I’m afraid my time in Thailand has run it’s course, have to kick my backup

plan into action. Ten months to go...

But wait a minute... what’s that Thai Elite plan... let’s investigate...

to be continued.

Archived