Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

55 minutes ago, essexman said:

First 15 seconds this guy mentions that extensions of stay are included?

He does and unless he knows something we don't then he's wrong.

The press release only mentions in particular the O-A Visa, and 'long stay' Visas.

The O-A Visa as with a couple of other Visa types are commonly referred to as 'long stay' Visas.

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year per entries/Multiple entries/ 1 year validity 

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html

I can't speak for anyone else who claims to obtain Retirement or Marriage 'Visas' from their Immigration office, but mine doesn't issue 'Visas'. Mine will only grant me 'temporary permission to stay for 1 year'.

It's a permit, not a Visa and it's not a 'long stay', so as far as I'm concerned it doesn't affect me.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He does and unless he knows something we don't then he's wrong.
The press release only mentions in particular the O-A Visa, and 'long stay' Visas.
The O-A Visa as with a couple of other Visa types are commonly referred to as 'long stay' Visas.
Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year per entries/Multiple entries/ 1 year validity 
http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html

I can't speak for anyone else who claims to obtain Retirement or Marriage 'Visas' from their Immigration office, but mine doesn't issue 'Visas'. Mine will only grant me 'temporary permission to stay for 1 year'.
It's a permit, not a Visa and it's not a 'long stay', so as far as I'm concerned it doesn't affect me.
A cynic might say that Fabulous 103 have an interest in causing alarm among the Pattaya expat community as it drives up their listening figures! Fake news is rife all over the media.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

A cynic might say that Fabulous 103 have an interest in causing alarm among the Pattaya expat community as it drives up their listening figures! Fake news is rife all over the media.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don't think that is limited to Bab 103.

Source!
My business..I am not a gossip monger..a friend if mine told me 15 months ago that planning had started between various Govt agencys re h/care..expats.
He also told me bout Sept of last year re changes to marriage/retirement extensions with regard to money in a Thai bank etc.
Your choice to believe me or not.
I do not talk b/s.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just now, malagateddy said:

My business..I am not a gossip monger..a friend if mine told me 15 months ago that planning had started between various Govt agencys re h/care..expats.
He also told me bout Sept of last year re changes to marriage/retirement extensions with regard to money in a Thai bank etc.
Your choice to believe me or not.
I do not talk b/s.

Mandatory health insurance for retirement visa holders likely to take effect in July

national May 16, 2019 01:00

By Chularat Saengpassa
The Nation

8,335 Viewed

FOREIGNERS aged 50 and above living in Thailand on a long-stay visa will likely have to buy health insurance from July onwards, as authorities are preparing guidelines to enforce the new rules.

Approved by the Cabinet last month, the new regulation will require expats on the long-stay non-immigrant O-A visa to have health insurance that offers Bt40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and Bt400,000 for inpatient. 

https://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369468

When did local Immigration offices start issuing the long stay O-A Visa?

When they mention expats on extensions of temporary permission of stay, then you can be concerned. Currently it's only suggested it will be applicable to Non O-A Visa applications.

14 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

There hasn't been any changes to marriage extensions, so he was wrong on that one.

Mandatory health insurance for retirement visa holders likely to take effect in July

national May 16, 2019 01:00

By Chularat Saengpassa
The Nation

8,335 Viewed

FOREIGNERS aged 50 and above living in Thailand on a long-stay visa will likely have to buy health insurance from July onwards, as authorities are preparing guidelines to enforce the new rules.

Approved by the Cabinet last month, the new regulation will require expats on the long-stay non-immigrant O-A visa to have health insurance that offers Bt40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and Bt400,000 for inpatient. 

https://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369468

When they mention expats on extensions of temporary permission of stay, then you can be concerned. Currently it's only suggested it will be applicable to Non O-A Visa applications.

Wait and see..remember that the rule re money in Thai bank was announced only 4/5 weeks before it commenced on 1st March
I repeat..I have a very reliable source..a good friend who IS NOT A B/S merchant.

Hi Everyone,

Thai Visa Health Protect has a number of plans available, underwritten and powered by Pacific Cross Health Insurance.  We currently have an existing product suite though are also able to offer the plan approved for the visa requirement.

I just wanted to provide some clarity around these recent developments.  Firstly we feel that the amounts designated for this requirement are vastly insufficient when it comes to any serious illness or accident.  Some hospitals charge 200-300k+ to remove a kidney stone for example, so for anything very serious, using a private hospital would exhaust those amounts very quickly.  Pacific Cross/TVHP does have a plan to meet the visa requirement, though we really hope that they will allow any plans that meet or exceed the designated amounts to be accepted for the visa, though it this juncture it is not the case, though we understand this will happen in due course.  For people as of today that require the cover you must select a plan from one of the 6 approved companies.

There also seems to be a lot of confusion as to who this applies to.  I thought it would be courteous to provide some info we have provided to our existing client base and brokers.  We have been inundated with inquiries, I will try to post more as I know, if anyone needs any help please email [email protected].

To Business Partners,
The purpose of writing to you is to update you on the status of the above visa requirements for foreigners.  

Pacific Cross has approval from the Immigration Department office to provide products in support of a "long stay" visa applicant for both types 1 year O-A, and 10 Year O-X.  However at this stage only the O-X 10 Year Visa minimum insurance requirements have been determined and a copy of these rules are shown below.

In line with this Pacific Cross has developed three "Long Stay" insurance plans to support the O-X 10 Year Visa applications.  These plans are know as Platinum 1, Platinum 2, Platinum 3, please note that only these plans from Pacific Cross are accepted by the Immigration Department at this point in time.

As previously intimated the insurance requirements for the O-A (1 Year Visa) have not yet been determined therefore please reassure your clients not to panic unnecessarily.  Policy holders may need to upgrade their plans so for us Pacific Cross Health Insurance we are working on how such changes will be accommodated.

Non-Immigrant Visa “O-X” (Long Stay)

On 22 November 2016, the Cabinet of Thailand approved new scheme which allows nationals from 14 countries to stay in Thailand for the maximum period of 10 years. In order to enjoy this new scheme, the applicants must apply for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-X” (Long Stay) or so called Non-O-X Visa at the Royal Thai Embassy/Royal Thai Consulate-General (when applying outside Thailand) or the Immigration Bureau (when applying in Thailand). 

The purpose of this type of visa is to promote long stay for foreign traveler to Thailand. Nationals from 14 countries with the age of 50 years old or over can apply for a multiple-entry Non-O-X visa and stay in the Kingdom for the maximum period of 10 years
(5 years according to visa validity plus an extension for another 5 years). The visa fee is 10,000 Baht (or local currency equivalent if applying outside Thailand).

In accordance with the Notification of the Ministry of Interior Re: Authorization for Certain Groups of Aliens to Enter the Kingdom on an exceptional case on Long-Stay Purpose in accordance with the Cabinet Resolution, dated 22 November B.E. 2559 (2016) (effective from 11 August 2017), foreigners with the following qualifications and supporting documents may apply for a multiple-entry Non-O-X visa:                       

Applicants’ qualifications

1. Age of 50 years old or over

2. Applicants must hold passport and nationality of (1) Japan (2) Australia (3) Denmark (4) Finland (5) France (6) Germany (7) Italy (8) Netherlands (9) Norway (10) Sweden (11) Switzerland (12) United Kingdom (13) Canada (14) United States of America 

3. Financial qualifications

(a) Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht; or

(b) Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 1.8 million Baht and have income with the amount of not less than 1.2 million Baht per year. Once the applicants enter Thailand, they must have accumulated money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand not less than 3 million Baht within 1 year.

The money in (a) and (b) must be kept in bank account at least 1 year before withdrawing and, within another next year, the money must be left in the account with the amount of not less than 1.5 million Baht and can only be spent in Thailand. 

4. Applicants must have no forbidden diseases according to the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) which include Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction and third stage of Syphilis. 

5. Applicants must have Thai medical insurance during their stay in Thailand (per the approval of the Office of Insurance Commission) and medical claims for outpatient must not be less than 40,000 Baht, for inpatient must not be less than 400,000 Baht.

Required Documentation

1. Passport must be valid for at least six months from the date of travel.

2. Three (3) application forms and 3 photographs (size 4 X 6 cm. taken within the last 6 months) 

3. One (1) biography

4. Financial evidence

4.1 Certificate of bank deposit stating bank contact information, copy of bank book and bank statement which shows fixed deposit with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand;

OR

4.2 Certificate of bank deposit stating bank contact information, copy of bank book and bank statement which shows fixed deposit with the amount of not less than 1.8 million Baht deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand and certificate of annual income with the amount of not less than 1.2 million Baht (local currency equivalent) per year. (Once the applicants enter Thailand, they must have accumulated money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand not less than 3 million Baht within 1 year.)

5. Certificate of criminal record clearance from the country of nationality. In case the applicants have permanent residence in other country, they must provide the aforementioned document from both country of nationality and country of permanent residence. 

6. Medical certificate from the country where the applicants apply visa stating that applicants don’t have any prohibited diseases according to the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E.2535) which include Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction, third stage of Syphilis. The medical certificate must not be issued over 3 months. 

7. Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as per stipulated by the  Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which has insurance money for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and for inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht.
Please check < http://longstay.tgia.org > for more information regarding the insurance requirement.

8. Visa fee: 10,000 Baht (local currency equivalent)

Spouse and child, age under 20 years old, can apply for Non-O-X visa and must have the following required documents

9.  Spouse (no age restriction) must show a copy of marriage certificate together with documents
stated in 1-8.

10. Child age under 20 years old must show a copy of birth certificate or proof of legitimate child and also have to submit documents number 1-3, 7 and 8

How to Apply for Non-O-X Visa (in case of applying outside Thailand)

1.      Foreigners who have the required qualifications and supporting documents as stated above may apply for Non-O-X Visa at the Royal Thai Embassy/Royal Thai Consulate-General in the country of their nationality or where they have permanent residence.

2.      The Royal Thai Embassy/Royal Thai Consulate-General examines the qualifications and supporting documents and informs the result to the applicants.

3.      In case that the visa is approved, foreigners (main applicant, spouse, and lawful child under 20 years old) will obtain a multiple-entry Non-O-X visa with visa validity of 5 years

4.      Upon arrival in Thailand, the immigration officer will grant the Non-O-X visa holders the stay permit in the Kingdom for the period of not exceeding 5 years according to visa validity.

Other Useful Information

- Benefits of the Non-O-X visa holders

1) Can work as a volunteer (in accordance with the list of volunteer work as stipulated by the Department of Employment).

2) Can purchase vehicle (under the provision of laws on motor vehicles).

3) Can purchase condominium (proceed in accordance with the Condominium Act).

- Foreigners who enter Thailand with other type of Visa/Visa Exemption may contact the Immigration Bureau and apply for Non-O-X visa.

- Foreigners who enter Thailand with Non-O-X visa may change from Non-O-X to other type of Visa by submitting request to the Immigration Bureau. Spouse and child’s visa approval will be changed according to status of the main applicant. However, spouse can apply for Non-O-X by himself/ herself if he/she meets the qualifications.

- Spouse/child who does not qualify for Non-O-X visa may apply for other type of non-immigrant visa in order to stay in Thailand with the Non-O-X visa holder.

- Upon the completion of 90 days stay period in Thailand, foreigners must notify the Immigration Bureau of their residence in Thailand and shall repeat at every 90 days interval.

- Foreigners must report, in person, to the immigration officer every 1 year for the examination of the qualifications and supporting documents.

- Stay permit of the Non-O-X visa holders may be revoked due to following conditions:

1) Foreigners do not have financial evidence as per stipulated by above qualifications such as:

- The sum of money in the bank account is less than 3 million Baht at the end of the first year of stay period in Thailand.

- the sum of money in the bank account is less than 1.5 million Baht at the end of the second year of stay period in Thailand, and/or the money in said account was spent outside Thailand.

2) Foreigners do not have insurance as per stipulated by above qualifications.

3) Foreigners pose threat to peace and security of Thailand.

4) Foreigners work without permission.

Hopefully this information is helpful to you. I have also enclosed copies of our products: Long stay visa and application for your consideration.

We will keep you informed of developments as they become known to us.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any additional information.

20 minutes ago, Thaivisa Health Protect said:

Hi Everyone,

Thai Visa Health Protect has a number of plans available, underwritten and powered by Pacific Cross Health Insurance.  We currently have an existing product suite though are also able to offer the plan approved for the visa requirement.

I just wanted to provide some clarity around these recent developments.  Firstly we feel that the amounts designated for this requirement are vastly insufficient when it comes to any serious illness or accident.  Some hospitals charge 200-300k+ to remove a kidney stone for example, so for anything very serious, using a private hospital would exhaust those amounts very quickly.  Pacific Cross/TVHP does have a plan to meet the visa requirement, though we really hope that they will allow any plans that meet or exceed the designated amounts to be accepted for the visa, though it this juncture it is not the case, though we understand this will happen in due course.  For people as of today that require the cover you must select a plan from one of the 6 approved companies.

There also seems to be a lot of confusion as to who this applies to.  I thought it would be courteous to provide some info we have provided to our existing client base and brokers.  We have been inundated with inquiries, I will try to post more as I know, if anyone needs any help please email [email protected].

To Business Partners,
The purpose of writing to you is to update you on the status of the above visa requirements for foreigners.  

Pacific Cross has approval from the Immigration Department office to provide products in support of a "long stay" visa applicant for both types 1 year O-A, and 10 Year O-X.  However at this stage only the O-X 10 Year Visa minimum insurance requirements have been determined and a copy of these rules are shown below.

In line with this Pacific Cross has developed three "Long Stay" insurance plans to support the O-X 10 Year Visa applications.  These plans are know as Platinum 1, Platinum 2, Platinum 3, please note that only these plans from Pacific Cross are accepted by the Immigration Department at this point in time.

As previously intimated the insurance requirements for the O-A (1 Year Visa) have not yet been determined therefore please reassure your clients not to panic unnecessarily.  Policy holders may need to upgrade their plans so for us Pacific Cross Health Insurance we are working on how such changes will be accommodated.

Non-Immigrant Visa “O-X” (Long Stay)

On 22 November 2016, the Cabinet of Thailand approved new scheme which allows nationals from 14 countries to stay in Thailand for the maximum period of 10 years. In order to enjoy this new scheme, the applicants must apply for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-X” (Long Stay) or so called Non-O-X Visa at the Royal Thai Embassy/Royal Thai Consulate-General (when applying outside Thailand) or the Immigration Bureau (when applying in Thailand). 

The purpose of this type of visa is to promote long stay for foreign traveler to Thailand. Nationals from 14 countries with the age of 50 years old or over can apply for a multiple-entry Non-O-X visa and stay in the Kingdom for the maximum period of 10 years
(5 years according to visa validity plus an extension for another 5 years). The visa fee is 10,000 Baht (or local currency equivalent if applying outside Thailand).

In accordance with the Notification of the Ministry of Interior Re: Authorization for Certain Groups of Aliens to Enter the Kingdom on an exceptional case on Long-Stay Purpose in accordance with the Cabinet Resolution, dated 22 November B.E. 2559 (2016) (effective from 11 August 2017), foreigners with the following qualifications and supporting documents may apply for a multiple-entry Non-O-X visa:                       

Applicants’ qualifications

1. Age of 50 years old or over

2. Applicants must hold passport and nationality of (1) Japan (2) Australia (3) Denmark (4) Finland (5) France (6) Germany (7) Italy (8) Netherlands (9) Norway (10) Sweden (11) Switzerland (12) United Kingdom (13) Canada (14) United States of America 

3. Financial qualifications

(a) Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht; or

(b) Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 1.8 million Baht and have income with the amount of not less than 1.2 million Baht per year. Once the applicants enter Thailand, they must have accumulated money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand not less than 3 million Baht within 1 year.

The money in (a) and (b) must be kept in bank account at least 1 year before withdrawing and, within another next year, the money must be left in the account with the amount of not less than 1.5 million Baht and can only be spent in Thailand. 

4. Applicants must have no forbidden diseases according to the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) which include Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction and third stage of Syphilis. 

5. Applicants must have Thai medical insurance during their stay in Thailand (per the approval of the Office of Insurance Commission) and medical claims for outpatient must not be less than 40,000 Baht, for inpatient must not be less than 400,000 Baht.

Required Documentation

1. Passport must be valid for at least six months from the date of travel.

2. Three (3) application forms and 3 photographs (size 4 X 6 cm. taken within the last 6 months) 

3. One (1) biography

4. Financial evidence

4.1 Certificate of bank deposit stating bank contact information, copy of bank book and bank statement which shows fixed deposit with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand;

OR

4.2 Certificate of bank deposit stating bank contact information, copy of bank book and bank statement which shows fixed deposit with the amount of not less than 1.8 million Baht deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand and certificate of annual income with the amount of not less than 1.2 million Baht (local currency equivalent) per year. (Once the applicants enter Thailand, they must have accumulated money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand not less than 3 million Baht within 1 year.)

5. Certificate of criminal record clearance from the country of nationality. In case the applicants have permanent residence in other country, they must provide the aforementioned document from both country of nationality and country of permanent residence. 

6. Medical certificate from the country where the applicants apply visa stating that applicants don’t have any prohibited diseases according to the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E.2535) which include Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction, third stage of Syphilis. The medical certificate must not be issued over 3 months. 

7. Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as per stipulated by the  Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which has insurance money for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and for inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht.
Please check < http://longstay.tgia.org > for more information regarding the insurance requirement.

8. Visa fee: 10,000 Baht (local currency equivalent)

Spouse and child, age under 20 years old, can apply for Non-O-X visa and must have the following required documents

9.  Spouse (no age restriction) must show a copy of marriage certificate together with documents
stated in 1-8.

10. Child age under 20 years old must show a copy of birth certificate or proof of legitimate child and also have to submit documents number 1-3, 7 and 8

How to Apply for Non-O-X Visa (in case of applying outside Thailand)

1.      Foreigners who have the required qualifications and supporting documents as stated above may apply for Non-O-X Visa at the Royal Thai Embassy/Royal Thai Consulate-General in the country of their nationality or where they have permanent residence.

2.      The Royal Thai Embassy/Royal Thai Consulate-General examines the qualifications and supporting documents and informs the result to the applicants.

3.      In case that the visa is approved, foreigners (main applicant, spouse, and lawful child under 20 years old) will obtain a multiple-entry Non-O-X visa with visa validity of 5 years

4.      Upon arrival in Thailand, the immigration officer will grant the Non-O-X visa holders the stay permit in the Kingdom for the period of not exceeding 5 years according to visa validity.

Other Useful Information

- Benefits of the Non-O-X visa holders

1) Can work as a volunteer (in accordance with the list of volunteer work as stipulated by the Department of Employment).

2) Can purchase vehicle (under the provision of laws on motor vehicles).

3) Can purchase condominium (proceed in accordance with the Condominium Act).

- Foreigners who enter Thailand with other type of Visa/Visa Exemption may contact the Immigration Bureau and apply for Non-O-X visa.

- Foreigners who enter Thailand with Non-O-X visa may change from Non-O-X to other type of Visa by submitting request to the Immigration Bureau. Spouse and child’s visa approval will be changed according to status of the main applicant. However, spouse can apply for Non-O-X by himself/ herself if he/she meets the qualifications.

- Spouse/child who does not qualify for Non-O-X visa may apply for other type of non-immigrant visa in order to stay in Thailand with the Non-O-X visa holder.

- Upon the completion of 90 days stay period in Thailand, foreigners must notify the Immigration Bureau of their residence in Thailand and shall repeat at every 90 days interval.

- Foreigners must report, in person, to the immigration officer every 1 year for the examination of the qualifications and supporting documents.

- Stay permit of the Non-O-X visa holders may be revoked due to following conditions:

1) Foreigners do not have financial evidence as per stipulated by above qualifications such as:

- The sum of money in the bank account is less than 3 million Baht at the end of the first year of stay period in Thailand.

- the sum of money in the bank account is less than 1.5 million Baht at the end of the second year of stay period in Thailand, and/or the money in said account was spent outside Thailand.

2) Foreigners do not have insurance as per stipulated by above qualifications.

3) Foreigners pose threat to peace and security of Thailand.

4) Foreigners work without permission.

Hopefully this information is helpful to you. I have also enclosed copies of our products: Long stay visa and application for your consideration.

Thanks for the info. However, I think the biggest problems many ex-pats have are concerning costs vs coverage and pre-existing conditions. Example: Someone aged 70 pays an annual premium that equals the maximum coverage allowed per year. That is a pretty good rate of return for the insurance companies.

Many people here are very concerned about their future. It really would have been much nicer if the Thai gov't had of decided about immigration changes and released all of the changes at once and allowed people 1 year or more to find ways to comply or decide to move on. But they didn't and here we are.

The last 6 months of immigration changes has been utter chaos and it is quite hard for many to make good decisions on what to do going forward. Myself? I made a choice last December when I decided not to transfer 65,000THB into Thailand monthly to continue my extensions. My choice was to go back to my country next year and get another O-A. Well now we have a new requirement that changes that. I'll have to submit my existing health coverage and hope that qualifies.

Personally I see your post as an advertisement to get customers into your fold based on fear because you are offering nothing new.

30 minutes ago, Thaivisa Health Protect said:

Surely a large company such as yours would know if the mandatory insurance will apply to those seeking retirement extensions.  Since the number of O-A visas is small and the number of extensions is huge by comparison I'd imagine it was the first question you asked the health ministry. What did they say?

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Surely a large company such as yours would know if the mandatory insurance will apply to those seeking retirement extensions.  Since the number of O-A visas is small and the number of extensions is huge by comparison I'd imagine it was the first question you asked the health ministry. What did they say?

Already answered if you fully read his reply.

The compulsory insurance requirement is being applied to Non O-A Visa long stay applications at Thai Embassies/Consulates, to bring it in line with the Non O-X Visa.

Thai Immigration is a division of the RTP.

Thai Embassies/Consulates are under the jurisdiction of the MFA

15 minutes ago, jmd8800 said:

Personally I see your post as an advertisement to get customers into your fold based on fear because you are offering nothing new.

You are welcome to take the post anyway you'd like Sir.  The intention was to try and provide some insight into the existing situation.  I completely agree that the value of these plans is not great by comparison to legacy plans.  They are specifically for 50+yrs upwards so the claims ratios will be higher, which explains the pricing.  Again we hope that they will allow any plan to meet the requirements, so that people who have plans with better coverage and pricing will be able to use for the obtaining of their visa.  Lastly of the 6 providers approved our rates are very competitive.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Apparently the head of Phuket Immigration thinks they do.  I asked yesterday and got no answers. 

Phuket Immigration Chief Col Kathathorn Kumthieng confirmed to The Phuket News today (May 14) that he has been informed of the new requirement but that he has yet to receive an order for his office to start applying it when processing applications for one-year Non-Immigrant O-A permits-to-stay.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/cabinet-approves-mandatory-health-insurance-for-long-stay-visas-71424.php#bfDaSUpour2EDsXx.97

1 hour ago, malagateddy said:

I repeat..I have a very reliable source..a good friend who IS NOT A B/S merchant

Yes, we all know a "guy in a bar".

For most of us , "I know a guy" doesnt mean much as a reliable or accurate source of information. 

Does it only apply to new applicants for the O-A retirement who are applying from there own countries or those who are now on O-A extensions in Thailand too?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Phuket Immigration Chief Col Kathathorn Kumthieng confirmed to The Phuket News today (May 14) that he has been informed of the new requirement but that he has yet to receive an order for his office to start applying it when processing applications for one-year Non-Immigrant O-A permits-to-stay.

That's because there are no 1 year Non O-A permits to stay.

Does it only apply to new applicants for the O-A retirement who are applying from there own countries or those who are now on O-A extensions in Thailand too?

It only applies to people applying for long-stay OA or OX visas, which can only be applied for in the applicant's home country.

Despite the scaremongering, it does not apply to Extensions of Stay based on retirement or marriage or work. There are different financial requirements for Extensions.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Thaivisa Health Protect said:

You are welcome to take the post anyway you'd like Sir.  The intention was to try and provide some insight into the existing situation.  I completely agree that the value of these plans is not great by comparison to legacy plans.  They are specifically for 50+yrs upwards so the claims ratios will be higher, which explains the pricing.  Again we hope that they will allow any plan to meet the requirements, so that people who have plans with better coverage and pricing will be able to use for the obtaining of their visa.  Lastly of the 6 providers approved our rates are very competitive.

I appreciate any information.  Does the mandatory insurance apply to those getting retirement extensions in Thailand?

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It only applies to people applying for long-stay OA or OX visas, which can only be applied for in the applicant's home country.

Despite the scaremongering, it does not apply to Extensions of Stay based on retirement or marriage or work. There are different financial requirements for Extensions.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

I think you would have to say it may apply to those getting new O-A visas because there is no new law and no new information on any embassy website.  

3 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

You can't extend a Visa.

A Visa allows entry for a period determined by the Visa type, then you extend your permission of stay based on retirement or marriage, then the Visa expires.

Yes , it only applies to Non O-A Visa applications from a Thai Embassy/Consulate.

Interesting how interpretations of the usual ambiguous & confusing Thai announcement quickly turn a 'likely' or 'probable' intention into a dead cert.

Patience, everyone, patience!

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I think you would have to say it may apply to those getting new O-A visas because there is no new law and no new information on any embassy website.  

It's only been approved, not implemented yet.

Check the Embassy websites late June for updates.

Any Health Insurance requirement will add to the existing requirements;

• Passport (validity over 1 year) and at least 2 blank pages. The actual passport must be submitted with visa application form.
  • Two (2) sets of application forms and 2 recent photos.
  • An additional application form for O-A
  • Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance for the past 3 months showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht (approximately £20,000.00) or an income certificate for the past 6 months with monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht (approximately £1,625.00), or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. If you send a copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.
  • Certificate of criminal record clearance from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from here.
  • Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)
  • If you wish to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But your spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)
  • Applicant must be of age 50 years old or over.

1 hour ago, Thaivisa Health Protect said:

These plans are know as Platinum 1, Platinum 2, Platinum 3, please note that only these plans from Pacific Cross are accepted by the Immigration Department at this point in time.

My budget only has room for Aluminum Foil 1, Aluminum Foil 2, or Aluminum Foil 3 plans.

48 minutes ago, Thaivisa Health Protect said:

Can I get an exclude everything with 100 percent deductible plan for a two or three thousand?

1 hour ago, Thaivisa Health Protect said:

I understand that 50+ will be higher claims ratios. After all I am American and we experience this pricing first hand. While this is not in the best interest of the insurance companies, putting the higher claims people back in with the lower claims people into one big pool might lower premiums for consumers. Unfortunately for insurance companies this might lower profits.

I know first hand how this type of insurance plays out. I am 63 years old and pay 730USD per month for a policy that covers pre-existing conditions (Don't know of any ins cos that cover pre-existing unless you are under ObamaCare). Having said that, I'd be willing to pay some pretty serious premiums in Thailand if policies covered pre-existing conditions, I had a reasonable belief that they would pay when I needed it and lastly... if I was given permission to stay for more than one year at a time.

Those who have invested in families etc over the years here are very concerned as to where this is going.

Archived