Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

32 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

of course it was a poor choice of words. and YOU DONT KNOW WHAT SHE MEANT BY IT. Neither do I but I'm not pretending I do. 

"Renewal" has as one of the dictionary definitions "make again"

Source: dictionary.com

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AYJAYDEE said:

I DONT know. But I DO KNOW  better than to blindly believe interpretations by others here that are just as in the dark about what she meant as I am.

Is it a habit to continually comment on something you don't know.

It was a poor choice of word ….. end of, your reading to far into her comment.

Folks are becoming paranoid they'll be forced to take Medical Insurance for extensions at local Immigration offices and that is not what was proposed.

The proposal brings the requirements for the long stay O-A Visa applications into line with the already existing long stay O-X Visa, which requires Health Insurance.

3 minutes ago, Maestro said:

"Renewal" has as the dictionary definitions "make again"

Source: dictionary.com

So what? It's also a word that has been commonly used by expats, immigration officers, visa agents, and the "press" here to indicate EXTENSIONS done in Thailand. 

Where is the certainty about this coming from exactly?

It doesn't add up. 

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Folks are becoming paranoid they'll be forced to take Medical Insurance for extensions at local Immigration offices and that is not what was proposed.

The proposal brings the requirements for the long stay O-A Visa applications into line with the already existing long stay O-X Visa, which requires Health Insurance.

But the word RENEWAL was used and you haven't provided any convincing evidence that you know for certain what was meant by it.

Thus -- UNCERTAINTY. 

Just now, Tanoshi said:

lol! Unlike you, I didnt read anything into her comment. I pointed out that I DIDN'T know what she meant by it and neither did anyone else here. No one said theyd be forced for extensions. They WONDEREDif they would. You on the other hand believe you KNOW exactly what is being proposed. Lol

31 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

...Incidentally, I apply for a new extension, I can't renew it.

Yes, you can renew an extension of stay.

One dictionary definition is "extend the validity of something"

Souce: dictionary.com

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So what? It's also a word that has been commonly used by expats, immigration officers, visa agents, and the "press" here to indicate EXTENSIONS done in Thailand. 

Where is the certainty about this coming from exactly?

It doesn't add up. 

I don't expect you to believe me, but UJ, the press, Thai Health have all stated the proposal only applies to new applications of an O-A Visa.

As an O-A can only be applied for in a Country of where your a citizen or have permanent residency, then it doesn't apply to those visiting local Immigration offices.

Do you think it's a conspiracy by the Thai Government to fool us.

Just now, Tanoshi said:

I don't expect you to believe me, but UJ, the press, Thai Health have all stated the proposal only applies to new applications of an O-A Visa.

As an O-A can only be applied for in a Country of where your a citizen or have permanent residency, then it doesn't apply to those visiting local Immigration offices.

I think I want an explanation of the use of the word RENEWAL which pretty much everyone that has been following visa matters in Thailand knows is a very common way to refer to EXTENSIONS. Correct usage or not isn't the point. You aren't capable of addressing that except to put on a bluff show of total certainty when there isn't grounds for that as yet.

2 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Yes, you can renew an extension of stay.

One dictionary definition is "extend the validity of something"

Souce: dictionary.com

Yes, you extend the permission of stay.

It's a new application for the extension stamp though.

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Not true! They also referred to a "renewal". We don't know for a certainty  what that means. Neither do you.

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think I want an explanation of the use of the word RENEWAL

Well in good old Blighty, it would mean replace old with new.

'I need to renew my Passport'.

'My passport renewal application was returned'

'Renewal' is a related term of 'renew'.

As a noun 'renewal' is the act of renewing.

As a verb 'renew' is to make something new again, or to restore to freshness or original condition.

13 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

as YOU interpret it. I will wait for an interpretation by someone with a bit more authority in these matters than you.

As I interpret it :cheesy:

Just how can you misinterpret Non O-A Visa.

16 minutes ago, kritsana77 said:

See you Thailand. I have a lot of money and zero baht/dollars will be coming your way. 

Make sure you've paid any outstanding hospital bills on your way out. :coffee1:

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

As a verb 'renew' is to make something new again, or to restore to freshness or original condition.

Well, you don't seem to know what the thai official meant by the term renewal and what it means in Britain is of no use to me in regard to the subject at hand so I guess I'll have to find someone who DOES KNOW! Thanks for your less than satisfactory assistance.

2 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

Well, you don't seem to know what the thai official meant by the term renewal and what it means in Britain is of no use to me in regard to the subject at hand so I guess I'll have to find someone who DOES KNOW! Thanks for your less than satisfactory assistance.

9 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Do you believe Wicki

https://wikidiff.com/renewal/renew

21 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You're playing games again.

Why play dumb?

There is a CONTEXT here. 

We know for a fact that the use of the word renewal is very commonly used in Thailand to mean EXTENSIONS. 

5 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

Has wiki been in contact with the thai officials? Like I said, you dont seem to know but perhaps they do.

Guess you'll have to e-mail Saowapa Jongkittipong who made the statement.

She might tell you she used the word 'renewal' as a noun, meaning when 'renewing'.

Just now, Tanoshi said:

Guess you'll have to e-mail Saowapa Jongkittipong who made the statement.

She might tell you she used the word 'renewal' as a noun, meaning when 'renewing'.

the meaning of renewal wasn't what I was trying to establish. Your belief that it was explains a lot.

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Why play dumb?

There is a CONTEXT here. 

We know for a fact that the use of the word renewal is very commonly used in Thailand to mean EXTENSIONS. 

It's easier to play dumb than admit you don't know what youre talking about

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Why play dumb?

There is a CONTEXT here. 

Now your being absolutely ridiculous.

I've given explanations not of my own, but from a website.

Is this another of your 'what if' conspiracies.

The term 'renewal' is often used in the UK, meaning something needs replacing with new.

Contracts quite often use the word 'renewal' which relates to the period a contract needs to be renewed.

7 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

the meaning of renewal wasn't what I was trying to establish. Your belief that it was explains a lot.

I don't believe you knew what you were trying to establish.

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

Now your being absolutely ridiculous.

I've given explanations not of my own, but from a website.

Is this another of your 'what if' conspiracies.

The term 'renewal' is often used in the UK, meaning something needs replacing with new.

Contracts quite often use the word 'renewal' which relates to the period a contract needs to be renewed.

who cares how "renewal" is used in UK?

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Why play dumb?

There is a CONTEXT here. 

What do you think she meant by the word 'Visa'

Archived