Thailand Less Desirable Now For American Retirees?

Thaiquila

This is kind of interesting. This is suggesting that Americans look at other countries than Thailand:

On the other hand, countries whose currencies are already much stronger are now significantly less affordable for Americans. These also include a diverse group of nations, from Thailand in Asia to Brazil in South America.

http://www.retireaway.com/

I am an American who retired in Thailand a few years ago. It is more expensive here then some places, but, it is also a great place to retire. The coup, problems in the south, etc have not yet bothered me. I love it here.

Yes they are manipulating/speculating on the Thai Baht these days, but ... the inherent weakness of the US dollar is the real culprit.

You know one of my first jobs after uni was here in LOS, I was making some scratch too. Then one day I woke up in October of 87 and realized that the xmas ski trip back home was going to have to be cut because my money was worth 25 % less. Thank you Ronnie

According to history books Republicans used to believe in fiscal conservatism ... things like balancing the budget. Amazing in my life Republicans are the out of control spenders and Democrats balance things up after they the mess the crazed republican trickle down spenders made a shambles of the place.

Too bad I am not old enough to have live under IKE --- A man who was a fiscal conservative, A man who did not run up deficits like yawning chasms.

Just dreaming

It took about 3 years for my dollar income to lose about 15-17%. Mexico's rate was slower, but its inflation was higher, which had the same effect. If the baht goes below 25:1 rate, I'll consider moving back to Mexico. At least I speak the language!

I remember when the exchange rate WAS 25 baht to the dollar. But you could buy a lot more for your money back than you can now.

Just because you are an American doesn't mean you have to keep your money in dollars. It is easy to buy stock and bond mutual funds and ETFs in foreign securities. I am an American but only have about half of my wealth in dollars. The rest is in Euros, Pounds, Yen and other currencies.

One other thought. If anyone knew for sure if the dollar was going to go up or down against another currency in the next year, that person would be very rich. This is all very speculative. We know the dollar has gone down recently so we think that will continue to happen, but no one knows for sure. I remember when the Euro first came out and went down against the dollar for a year, everyone thought that would continue. I remember 5 years ago when internet stocks were way up and everyone thought that trend would continue. I remember 20 years ago when the Japanese stock market was way up and everyone thought that would continue for ever.

No one knows the future. If you guess right you make money. No one guesses right all the time. I don't know what the dollar will do next year.

Yes they are manipulating/speculating on the Thai Baht these days, but ... the inherent weakness of the US dollar is the real culprit.

You know one of my first jobs after uni was here in LOS, I was making some scratch too. Then one day I woke up in October of 87 and realized that the xmas ski trip back home was going to have to be cut because my money was worth 25 % less. Thank you Ronnie

According to history books Republicans used to believe in fiscal conservatism ... things like balancing the budget. Amazing in my life Republicans are the out of control spenders and Democrats balance things up after they the mess the crazed republican trickle down spenders made a shambles of the place.

Too bad I am not old enough to have live under IKE --- A man who was a fiscal conservative, A man who did not run up deficits like yawning chasms.

You are right, it's not the baht, it's the dollar right now. It's the budget deficit and trade deficit fueling the low dollar.

I remember Real Republicans. The new ones are more interested in dismantling most Federal government and agencies except for the military. Bankrupting the country is in fact a pretty solid way to decrease spending on "unnecessary" social programs. Like all of them.

I am old enough to remember IKE. My Dad had 10 years of seniority at an auto plant, and still was laid off for over 2 years during the recession IKE's fiscal policies triggered. "Tight Money" is just a way to keep the rich getting richer while not letting the middle class or poor get their hands on any money.

There are still Real Republicans out there. A lot of them have started voting for Democrats in the past couple elections, and that's almost unheard of. The Religious Right has ruined the Republican Party. A religious litmus test for Federal office is very explicitly banned in the Constitution, but they are enforcing one within the Republican party.

If you want more info on the reasons for the weirdness in the Republican party, how it happened, and where it is heading, Google Theocracy Watch. I know I sound like a tinfoil hat wearer, but that site is most informative.

This is kind of interesting. This is suggesting that Americans look at other countries than Thailand:
On the other hand, countries whose currencies are already much stronger are now significantly less affordable for Americans. These also include a diverse group of nations, from Thailand in Asia to Brazil in South America.

http://www.retireaway.com/

OK...but you've got to ask yourself - even if the baht regresses to 25/1, would y'all like to live in Mexico or the PI or Brazil?

Personally, I wouldn't as the quality of life (however you choose to define it) just ain't the same. :o

At 25-1 you still should be 25% less than to retire at home. If your plan was to have just enough to

live in Thailand that had lost 50% on it's currency a few years ago, not so wise. Live and learn and get a better investment/reitirement advisor. Minimum 30% of your monthly available cash should be for discretionary spending, otherwise you are probably just not working and not retired at all.

Retirement was at one time considered being able to live your elder years in comfort. I guess todays meaning is not having to show up for earning a living as long as there is a cheap place flop one's backside.

A decent article on early retirement that I recently read estimated for every $1K of spending

you need $230K of savings for 20+ years retirement. This was based on 3% inflation

A good investment advisor is well worth 2% most are less and wise investments should of more than out done the drop in currency over time.

Breaking news B.Post latest.

17:26

Quote:-

Next week: Baht strong, stocks bearish

The Thai baht is expected to remain strong against the dollar next week, while the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) is expected to remain sluggish, according to a report issued by the Kasikorn Research Centre.

The report said the baht hit a new nine-year high against the greenback on Thursday as it was traded at Bt35.13 against the dollar on hopes that the Bank of Thailand (BoT) would lift its 30 per cent reserve requirement on foreign capital inflows after Chalongphob Sussangkarn assumed the finance ministry portfolio.

On Friday, the baht edged down marginally and closed at Bt35.21 against the dollar compared to Bt35.31 a week ago, it said. It said the baht is expected to move from Bt35-35.40 against the dollar on the onshore market next week as exporters will continue selling the greenback.

Unquote.

Please go to the url for this and other stock info.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=117345

As AmeriThai notes, you could get much more for your Baht in that era prior to the 1997 devaluation.

I cannot see it ever going back to that rate for a multitude of finacial reasons for which some of our more experienced Finance Experts may wish to expand on.

The dollar is week and maybe it,ll get weaker, but again i don,t see it going to 25 in a hurry.

I fancy the Baht will weaken before long anyway.

For all it,s short comings people go on about you would be hard beat to find somewhere to compare with the many positives here.

So enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy what you are able to and just cut back a bit to make it stretch a bit further if you have to.

IMHO of course.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

At 25-1 you still should be 25% less than to retire at home.

Depends on where 'home' is located is the locus of this topic.

If home is southern California, I'm still better off in LOS than the states... :o