Only 1 hour stop before connecting flight

HamonRye

Hello,

Currently looking to buy 2 flights - BKK to Dublin with the same airline that has just a 1 hour stop at DOH before my next flight, with one of the companies on Skyscanner.

Both flights are with Qatar Airlines.

Can there ever be a problem if my first flight is delayed?

eg, are there instances where i would have to pay for a new connecting flight (again) if my first flight was delayed?

Cheers for any help.

Personally I would hesitate to book such tight connection.

(as far as I know they still have to take detours, unloading a A380)

Look at the late night flight (02:10) with 2:15h connection time.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I have always been treated nicely by Americans if their flight was late. I know everyone likes to bash American Airline companies, but while waiting for my flight to get sorted out they even refunded 2 people who were simply late for check in as they didn't know they had to show up extra early for international flights. I thought no chance of them getting a refund, but "customers" were annoyingly persistent and they did.

• Confused 1

I have used Egypt air with only a 1-hour transit, and I had a problem late in taking off LHR, and I missed the connection in Cairo, so the airline put us up in a hotel for one night, and we must have been 10-15 people, caught the following days flight.

Another time it was getting tight I was met at the transit lounge and rushed to the boarding gate jumped all the ques, to the announce of other passengers, got they with 15 minutes to spear.

Qatar Airway has a good name, any problems they should help you out. 

• Like 1

I have made a 5 min transit at Doha with Qatar years ago, don't worry about it. In two weeks I have to do the same as you twice with them and not worried at all. 

Edited by sandrabbit

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Qatar Airways offers this connection on it's website.

21:05 -> 00:40 (A380), 01:40 -> 7:30

As written above, if booked with Qatar they would be responsible if you miss the connection.

Booking with some travel company would mean that you have to refer to them which can become ugly.

Absolute nonsense just unbelievable bunkum. No matter where the ticket was purchased Qatar will get you on the next flight should issues arise..... "refer to some travel company" lol

How many flights have you taken in your lifetime !!  1 or 2 ??

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

With Sky Scanner I think you do book directly on the airline website.

Seriously concerning some of these posts. Sky scanner Travel supermarket Kayak etc etc etc just redirect you to the cheapest agents of the airlines. If you want the airlines website you need to go to it and in 98% of cases you'll pay for higher fares naturally

22 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I have used Qatar multiple times and booked at Qatar.

If that is enough for your brazen response.

And book through some online agency and wait for trouble to arise.

What are you talking about chap.  You're claiming that an airline ticket purchased not on the airlines website will land you in issues if for some reason connections are missed through no fault of your own etc. I'm telling you thats absolute rubbish.

Not with standing that I have only booked 3 times out of 169 times via airlines website. You are needlessly and it appears deliberately scare mongering with your nonsense. Lets be clear you will NOT be ringing travel agencies in transit making ludicrous claims. Flights would lose 85% of passengers without agency bookings

The one sole time I had an issue on Oman in around 2015 when they had overbooked by 43 in economy (big group on open tickers had rescheduled) I got hold of Travel Trolley in London told them to put a rocket up Omans backside. They duly rang me back an hour later to tell me all reinstated check in online as per normal. That wasnt a transit issue but it totally debunks your myth about top agencies not giving a damn.

• Thanks 1

In the past month had this problem.

Booked a BA flight via Heathrow to Manchester with 1hr 50mins connection so no problem.

Two days before departure received a BA email that departure from Bkk delayed so would have only 1hr 10mins connection time in terminal 5 (1hr is minimum permitted). Called BA, was assured no problem with connection and if we did miss connecting flight to Manchester then BA would put us up in Heathrow  airport.

Arrived suvarnabhumi to find our departure was delayed by 30mins so we could no longer make our connection (it was the last manchester flight of the day) so we were booked on the first connection flight the next day.

We arrived Heathrow and BA had a table ready to meet all missed connection people. We were all given a package containing: new flight connection boarding passes, a voucher for a room at Holiday Inn Express Heathrow (and buffet indian dinner) and vouchers for bus ticket on shuttle bus to hotel and back to terminal 5.

So if you have a ticket through to your final destination and you miss  the connection through airlines fault then they will put you on the next connection (we could have booked any  of the 4 available the nect day).

• Like 1

I've done this a couple of times booking directly with Qatar and Emirates, London to Bangkok. On their website they sell it is a single ticket each way, and it is only when you delve down into the detail you see the separate legs of the journey. I have never been concerned -  if there is a delay and the connection can't be made then that is their responsibility to sort out for you. The only problem would be I then usually have a separate ticket to Chiang Rai, so I would likely miss that and that would be at my cost. But I think I looked recently at their website and you can actually book London to Chiang Rai (BKK to CEI would be Bangkok airways or something) so then the entire journey become their responsibility. 

1 hour seems tight. Doha is a big airport, and typically transfer passengers need to go through security when joining a connecting flight.

If ticket was booked all the way through with Qatar air they should take care of you during the connection process. I've been "fast tracked" through Doha when incoming flight was late. They will also hold the second flight for say 30 minutes if they know you've landed and are on the way to that connecting flight. If all that fails if you have a through ticket they will take care of you ( hotels / meals etc).

Hope the journey is uneventful.

get seats as far forward as possible. If stuck in back and flight arriving a bit late, tell the cabin crew of your short connection and ask to relocate farther up, just before landing, if possible. It can make the difference.

17 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

With Sky Scanner I think you do book directly on the airline website.

I think the issue would be with two separate bookings more than from an agent versus the airline.

With Skyscanner you almost always book through an agency but that makes no difference. Your ticket is with Qatar airways and they are responsible for getting you to Thailand. The transit times can be short indeed. I've done it often with times as low as 45 minutes. Assuming no delays it's doable. Just be aware Qatar will not hold a flight until you get there but they WILL put you on the next available flight. One flight I had from Edinburgh left 25 minutes late, I was met at the arrival gate in Doha by friendly staff who told me I'd missed my flight but had been booked on one two hours later...Don't sweat!

1 hour ago, Jaxxper said:

1 hour seems tight. Doha is a big airport, and typically transfer passengers need to go through security when joining a connecting flight.

If ticket was booked all the way through with Qatar air they should take care of you during the connection process. I've been "fast tracked" through Doha when incoming flight was late. They will also hold the second flight for say 30 minutes if they know you've landed and are on the way to that connecting flight. If all that fails if you have a through ticket they will take care of you ( hotels / meals etc).

Hope the journey is uneventful.

This is correct. Qatar will know which passengers have a tight connection and will scurry hurry them through, even holding the second flight back for 10 minutes if it is required.

2 minutes ago, dode57k said:

With Skyscanner you almost always book through an agency but that makes no difference. Your ticket is with Qatar airways and they are responsible for getting you to Thailand. The transit times can be short indeed. I've done it often with times as low as 45 minutes. Assuming no delays it's doable. Just be aware Qatar will not hold a flight until you get there but they WILL put you on the next available flight. One flight I had from Edinburgh left 25 minutes late, I was met at the arrival gate in Doha by friendly staff who told me I'd missed my flight but had been booked on one two hours later...Don't sweat!

You have to realise when booking through Skyscanner with a Agent, if there any changes you have too go though the Agent.

i for personal reasons had to change one leg of a flight BKK-Dubai-Newcastle booked vis Skyscanner through an Agent, £295.

i had booked a return flight through Emirates Newcastle-Dubai-BKK and BKK-Dubai-Newcastle, I changed both dates, £130.

Yes the Agents are cheaper but any changes if allowed are expensive and most don’t offer refunds if you cancel.

7 hours ago, Chivas said:

Seriously concerning some of these posts. Sky scanner Travel supermarket Kayak etc etc etc just redirect you to the cheapest agents of the airlines. If you want the airlines website you need to go to it and in 98% of cases you'll pay for higher fares naturally

My last trip I checked Skyscanner for flights and prices, then went direct to Emirates and

the cost was actually slightly lower.

Maybe I was lucky enough to be in the 2%

PS,If anyone was considering transiting in Dubai, then I would not want less than 3

hours as you need to go through security again plus the departure gates change

fairly often in my experience.

PPS, Emirates have a fairly hefty surcharge for things like seat requests, £50 per 

flight which equates to £200 for the round trip. I generally turn up at the check 

in desk when it opens and get an exit seat as I'm 6"6, and have always been able

to get one

Edited by shy coconut

On 5/16/2019 at 7:36 PM, ExpatDraco said:

If the ticket is 2 seperate bookings, you will have problems if you miss your connection.

but if the bags are checked in to the next flight then the airline must find a new flight yes or no?

I flew Qatar with a 1 hour connection last year. They put me on the front row, we were 40 minutes late leaving London, but they caught up time in flight and I made the connection.

I was gutted, my connection was to Chiang Mai and I'd have been re-routed through Bangkok, guaranteed long delay and a big compensation cheque worth more than the cost of the flight.

On 5/16/2019 at 9:06 PM, Pravda said:

I have always been treated nicely by Americans if their flight was late. I know everyone likes to bash American Airline companies

That was probably a rare occasion. I’m a Million miles + with an airline and yes plenty of perks, but some things like calling to book a reservation they charge a fee. If you need to change a flight say push the date out you need to hope the person on the other end 

of the line has enough experience to know the go arounds that will

save you money. 

It may have been in that instance the airline over booked and they were happy;the people showed up late. One airline if over booked will ask for volunteers offering something in the way of miles.

Car races flights seem to be over booked. I was on business but was hoping to be asked they gave some good perks 1,000 USD ticket for future use. 

Not actual cash but the value 

Edited by DJ54
Add
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DJ54 said:

That was probably a rare occasion. I’m a Million miles + with an airline and yes plenty of perks, but some things like calling to book a reservation they charge a fee. If you need to change a flight say push the date out you need to hope the person on the other end 

of the line has enough experience to know the go arounds that will

save you money. 

It may have been in that instance the airline over booked and they were happy;the people showed up late. One airline if over booked will ask for volunteers offering something in the way of miles.

Car races flights seem to be over booked. I was on business but was hoping to be asked they gave some good perks 1,000 USD ticket for future use. 

Not actual cash but the value 

A big difference between being treated nicely and expecting to get something free that they charge for.

Most all US carrier's flights are overbooked, and there always seems to be volunteers willing to take a CS voucher one or two hundred dollar voucher.

On 5/17/2019 at 1:42 PM, Chivas said:

Absolute nonsense just unbelievable bunkum. No matter where the ticket was purchased Qatar will get you on the next flight should issues arise..... "refer to some travel company" lol

How many flights have you taken in your lifetime !!  1 or 2 ??

not exactly so.... The issue is not if you buy at the airlines OR a travel agent, but if you buy a single ticket all the way - BKK doh lhr OR 2 separate tickets BKK doh + don lhr. in the first case problems with the first leg is the responsibility of the airline. In the second case it's the passenger's problem as the 2tickets might have different conditions

I concur with others here regarding short transit times. I've had many a short one when passing thought the middle east, some less than 1 hour and never had a problem. Always had a nervous wait at the carrousel on arrival, hoping that my baggage also made it, but it always has.

If the airline offer your proposed trip on their website as a through booking, which they do, then it will be booked under one booking reference. They have accepted the obligation to get you to your destination, no matter what.

And it makes no difference whether it is booked directly with the airline or via an agent.

One point to note O/P. Did you notice that this journey involves 2 stops? Doha and LHR? The final leg is with BA. No problem with that, Qatar and BA are partner airlines.

Have a safe journey.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2019 at 9:14 PM, damascase said:

Exactly! And don’t forget to look for these same flights on the Qatar website - unless the price difference is substantial I would always book with the airline. Can save you a lot of hassle when problems arise.

I flew with China Airlines for 20 years before settling in T/Land .       B-Ham- Amsterdam- Bkk very little delay. No charge on changing flight dates.Return Bkk-Amsterdam -B ham, LHR,Man.Ireland