Ex partner moved Thai girlfriend into condo

Can anyone please advise my ex partner has moved his girlfriend into a property we both own in Thailand. 

I have just found out that's why there was no rental in the past three years. I live in uk and don't know what to do he refuses me access anytime I ask also been told he is now married any advice please 

Is the condo in a company name or freehold?

If its in a company then I am fairly certain that only one name can be used as MD

Putting 2 names on freehold in unusual

The condo act only recognises this when one of the names is a Thai. The condo must be in the foreign 49%

The way I see it he has legal right to live there.

If he invites a guest to stay -then so beit.

Him being married changes nothing.

You ofcourse also have the legal right of abode

I sense that you are simply chasing the money.

In the strict sense it can be argued that he should pay you rent. Enforcing that will be very tricky.

Edited by Delight
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Delight said:

Is the condo in a company name or freehold?

If its in a company then I am fairly certain that only one name can be used as MD

Putting 2 names on freehold in unusual

The condo act only recognises this when one of the names is a Thai. The condo must be in the foreign 49%

The way I see it he has legal right to live there.

If he invites a guest to stay -then so beit.

Him being married changes nothing.

You ofcourse also have the legal right of abode

I sense that you are simply chasing the money.

In the strict sense it can be argued that he should pay you rent. Enforcing that will be very tricky.

Thank you for you reply. 

The condo is in foreign name as we purchased it jointly. 

He is living in UK and his wife is in the condo in Thailand until she can join him in UK.

Yes the property was also purchased as a source of income.

1 minute ago, Khan1230 said:

Thank you for you reply. 

He is living in UK and his wife is in the condo in Thailand until she can join him in UK.

Your only hope is for you to claim half rent.

However based on what you say a resolution is possible

Question is missing basic info:

1. Was he your business partner or boyfriend?

2. He was NOT your husband - correct?

3. How much money did you put towards the purchase? how much did he? (percentages would be fine if you don't want to state actual numbers)

4. Was it bought cash or is there a mortgage? If mortgage who was making the payments, and how much is left on the mortgage?

5. Is there a contract at all? Do you have records of the money you put towards the purchase?

6. Do you have any paperwork at all showing you as owner or part-owner?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Khan1230 said:

Thank you for you reply. 

Yeah the only thing you can really do is get a free first consultation with a UK solicitor (lawyer) and they can get a Thai lawyer on board, of course it could get expensive, so that has be taken into account.

You will need to be honest and have as much paperwork evidence as you can get on the joint condo ownership also proof of the relationship with your ex-partner, witnesses statements if possible without any sort of proof it will be nigh on impossible IMHO. 

Goodluck.

14 hours ago, Khan1230 said:

Thank you for you reply. 

Hi.

You haven't answered the question buddy.

Yes in a foreign name. Whose name? His or yours?If it is in his sole name you could very well be peeing in rhe wind.

I smell a rat by virtue of the fact he is avoiding you and not updating you nor providing you with information.

I would take this like he is trying to pull a " fast one "  but I believe you know this.

Having read your post can I first say I feel for you and your situation if it’s in joint names I think it would be difficult to sell and he would need copies of your current passport and signature, if that’s not the case you have to consider the cost of chasing him to get money it might be just as wise to wipe it out of your mind and make a new start it’s wether you can afford to chase him for the next few years for all we know his Thai woman could have forged his signature and taken a loan out using the condo as collateral if she has then he’s in for a big shock  but things like that happen on a regular basis. Whatever you decide good luck for the future it’s no good dwelling on the past it’s a case of onwards and upwards .

You have little or no factual information on the current situation of your property in Thailand.

I would ignore advice to get UK and/or Thai lawyers involved due to costs involved.

Simply state where the property is, and offer someone on this forum who is in Thailand to get all the necessary information you need.

Lots of foreigners here who would have the spare time to do this for you, for a cost of a few hundred quid.

Then you could consider further steps after getting the factual up-to-date info you need.

4 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I would take this like he is trying to pull a " fast one "  but I believe you know this.

A fairly slow "fast one."

21 hours ago, Khan1230 said:

have just found out that's why there was no rental in the past three years.

Go to Siam Legal online.

You can ask this question to them on their website and get an answer for free.

Give them all the info about the condo and all the costs and any written agreements if they exist.

On here you get “opinions”. Get and answer from a lawyer.

12 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

You have little or no factual information on the current situation of your property in Thailand.

I would ignore advice to get UK and/or Thai lawyers involved due to costs involved.

Simply state where the property is, and offer someone on this forum who is in Thailand to get all the necessary information you need.

Lots of foreigners here who would have the spare time to do this for you, for a cost of a few hundred quid.

Then you could consider further steps after getting the factual up-to-date info you need.

Common sense, but obviously he needs to find somebody he can trust to do the job which also can be difficult.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

A fairly slow "fast one."

Agreed,

But he may have been slow off the mark to react if he was busy working in the UK and believed the person he bought the condo with to be a friend.

On 5/21/2019 at 3:47 AM, Khan1230 said:

Thank you for you reply. 

She is your tenant issue a 14 day vacate notice and change the locks and notify juristic that property is for sale only. Any problems threats contact police

On 5/21/2019 at 7:31 AM, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Question is missing basic info:

1. Was he your business partner or boyfriend?

2. He was NOT your husband - correct?

3. How much money did you put towards the purchase? how much did he? (percentages would be fine if you don't want to state actual numbers)

4. Was it bought cash or is there a mortgage? If mortgage who was making the payments, and how much is left on the mortgage?

5. Is there a contract at all? Do you have records of the money you put towards the purchase?

6. Do you have any paperwork at all showing you as owner or part-owner?

She already told you

On 5/21/2019 at 3:50 AM, Delight said:

Your only hope is for you to claim half rent.

However based on what you say a resolution is possible

incorrect have the Thai removed with a 14 day vacate notice. Due to deception and non payment of rent. Also get a legitimate rental value from a agent for back rent owed. l removed a tenant with the RTP

Ask your partner to compensate you for half of the lost rent. Surely she is not paying rent. It is totally on him. If he is not in agreement, ask him to buy out your share, and move on. He sounds like he is not being honorable with you. Who needs a partner like that? Life is too short to deal with guys who do not have a sense of honor among friends. 

18 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

She needs to make direct contact with the tenant and juristic with a request to immediately view the lease. Make a police report RTP

• Like 1