NCPO repression and abuses persist five years after coup

webfact

I suppose one could say the junta brought some stability to what was chaos before the coup. It's the subsequent cost which is the problem.

It goes back to Lord Acton's maxim " Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely".

• Like 1

Pretty scathing Op-Ed by Khun Sunai Phasuk.  I wonder if Khun Sunai resides somewhere other than Thailand?  My guess is less has been said to make someone 'disappear' than the brave yet cutting critique offered by the Op.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mok199 said:

This once Great Nation is now nothing more than a worn out old boot...

The term - Banana Republic - comes to mind.  Not necessarily due to it's economy which is far from being controlled by outside players, but more for it's political instability and political repression, authoritarianism, and military rule -- and of course, it's a great place for growing bananas!  ????

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, CLS said:

Well written Sunai Phasuk.
You should write a column in well known international newspapers and tell the world the truth about this medieval country.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Pavin Chachavalpongpun wrote an opinion piece in yesterday's or today's copy of the Independent (uk) titled "A military dictatorship in Thailand is clinging onto power - with the tacit support of western powers". Well worth a read. 

4 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

He's surrounded by sycophants. 

He was extremely arrogant on day 1.

5 years later his hubris is beyond comparison.

I bet nobody has said NO to him in the last 5 years. 

Maybe his wife has!

• Haha 1

The status quo may remain for a long time to come, with the social climate getting much worse.

Marshall law is not uncomman. Past history can confirm that.

Time to think about relocating to a place such as Cambodia?

A thought...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mok199 said:

This once Great Nation is now nothing more than a worn out old boot...

Mok, at the risk of being accused of Thai bashing, when was Thailand a great nation and what was it that made it great?

I love the country it has its issues but as far as I can see it has been governed in this dictatorial way for, well forever as far as I can see.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Denim said:

These days the Nation pumps out these anti establishment articles on a regular basis.

Too little too late. The Nation and other media were only too happy to watch the junta stick the boot in on the democratic process.

Now they are complaining that things are worse not better.

I can understand foreigners not knowing how self serving the military are but for a newspaper staffed by Thais to demonstrate such ignorance of their own country's history is very sad.

Now you are brave and bold, well after the event. Well tough. Suck it up because you brought it on.

The funny thing is, I understand the husband of one of the Palangpracharat MPs is a shareholder in the Nation Group and Chairman of the Executive Committee and Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors. You would have thought they would still be blowing Prayuth's trumpet (an unsavory image came to mind as I typed that). 

• Like 1

The fact that two of the basic human rights which people should be allowed in a developed country (free speech and fair democracy) are completely abolished here is scandalous. 

Minus the fighting, Thailand isn't too far from the likes of Libya nowadays with its dictatorship ruling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I pray things change soon and that it gets better because this is the only thing about Thailand that worries me, more like scares the hell out of me. I like it here too much to leave but if it gets worse and turns into another China or Russia type of country I don’t know what will happen. But I really like it here it’s a shame.

• Thanks 1