Soda water: how many per day?

Grapefruit  compounds known as furanocoumarins can block cytochrome P450 3A4 (CYP3A4) enzymes.,  so some of the medications may be broken down more slowly by the liver.   This can be an issue as your plasma drug concentration levels build up,  so that 1/2 of a pill the doctor prescribes 1 x a day,  may linger so long that it builds up faster than it is broken down.    So be careful.

I didn't know that pomelo had the same situation as grapefruit.    Where did you see that?   

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, samuttodd said:

Grapefruit  compounds known as furanocoumarins can block cytochrome P450 3A4 (CYP3A4) enzymes.,  so some of the medications may be broken down more slowly by the liver.   This can be an issue as your plasma drug concentration levels build up,  so that 1/2 of a pill the doctor prescribes 1 x a day,  may linger so long that it builds up faster than it is broken down.    So be careful.

I didn't know that pomelo had the same situation as grapefruit.    Where did you see that?   

Harvard medical site q & a. I had been warned of this by a Dr in Australia before so I don’t eat grapefruit and just googled it when I saw this thread.

“From the handful of studies on the effects of pomelo on drug metabolism, it looks like pomelo and pomelo juice act much like grapefruit and grapefruit juice.

Grapefruit and pomelo aren't the only fruits that affect drug metabolism. Lab studies suggest that black mulberry juice, wild grape juice, pomegranate juice, and black raspberry juice also interfere with CYP3A4.

You have two basic options. One is to avoid eating pomelo and drinking pomelo juice. The other is to keep enjoying pomelo but talk with your doctor about switching to a statin that isn't affected by grapefruit, such as fluvastatin (Lescol), pravastatin (Pravachol), or rosuvastatin (Crestor).

— Thomas Lee, M.D.
Editor in Chief” 

I come down on the other side of the coin than most. 

I worry about drinking too much water and sweating it out without replacing the electrolytes.  Literally, I went through liters and liters on a typical outdoor day in BKK, and I could tell I had some kind of imbalance going on...  Weakness, cramps, etc.  Plus, my black shirts (remember that year of wearing black?) would end up almost gray by the end of the day.  So I figured I was sweating out a lot of salts.

I started adding oral rehydration salts (ORS) to my bottled water.  At first, I bought the sugar free variety, but then discovered that the body needs some glucose to properly absorb the salts.  Blame Google for that one...  Eventually, I went with plain old sea salt and supplemented with fresh fruit to get the glucose.  That seemed to do the trick, and fresh fruit was so easy to find.

My memory isn't clear on the details- especially in light of misleading labeling, but soda water indicates it has some sodium in it, while sparkling water may just be carbonated, with God only knows what -or nothing at all- added to it.  So it's a good idea to read the label.

2 hours ago, grollies said:

Absolutely fair enough mate and I'm not criticising you at all, we are all free to make our own decisions in life. I'm just posting my opinion which differs from yours. I wish you well. Sorry about the 'issues' comment, retracted.

We all have different opinions no problems here. I am happy you care about your health too. Not too many people take care of themselves. I did not get offended from the Issues comment no problems.

There is so much data out there on all kind of things we ourselves need to filter through it and see how bad or not bad something is. I try to avoid artificial sweeteners, but in those packages the dosage is real low. It just gives a minor taste to the water. 

If I did not have this I might have gone for some kind of syrup (worse). 

Its kinda like I love lifting weights but hate cardio. I do something that is similar to cardio (farmers walk) but not exactly. But farmers walk does not bore me and I keep doing it. If i were to go jogging or something like that I just would not keep it up. So sometimes doing something a little less perfect is better then the alternative doing nothing. 

Maybe that makes no sense to you but in my years of training I have learned its better to be consistent and maybe not perfect then go for perfect and give up early.

This is already a huge improvement from me sucking up ice tea and loads of syrup.. who knows maybe after I am used to this it might be easier to switch to pure water. 

17 minutes ago, impulse said:

I come down on the other side of the coin than most. 

I worry about drinking too much water and sweating it out without replacing the electrolytes.  Literally, I went through liters and liters on a typical outdoor day in BKK, and I could tell I had some kind of imbalance going on...  Weakness, cramps, etc.  Plus, my black shirts (remember that year of wearing black?) would end up almost gray by the end of the day.  So I figured I was sweating out a lot of salts.

I started adding oral rehydration salts (ORS) to my bottled water.  At first, I bought the sugar free variety, but then discovered that the body needs some glucose to properly absorb the salts.  Blame Google for that one...  Eventually, I went with plain old sea salt and supplemented with fresh fruit to get the glucose.  That seemed to do the trick, and fresh fruit was so easy to find.

My memory isn't clear on the details- especially in light of misleading labeling, but soda water indicates it has some sodium in it, while sparkling water may just be carbonated, with God only knows what -or nothing at all- added to it.  So it's a good idea to read the label.

Salt is not as bad as most people thing, and I even take salt at times because i sweat so much normally and when training. Nothing worse then cramping up. If you get cramps you know you need to replenish your minerals. The stuff i drink has those minerals plus i take tablets for them too. I like you sweat a lot. I can drink 2 liters of water in an hour of training and then I don't have to go to the toilet to pee.. its all sweated out. 

I noticed the cramps and weakness too especially when i was walking with 2 25 kg weights around the park. Great exercise but if you are not well hydrated salts too you will feel weak and performance will go down. There are great articles about the need for salt. Not for the people who dont sweat or exercise... but those who do have greater needs.

3 hours ago, grollies said:

Ok, but I would prefer personally to drink natural lime juice with water over chemicals made in a factory. My water comes from a borehole (water tested) and has plenty of mineral content.

My drink is totally sustainable as I grow the limes. I don't really get your point on 'sustainability' in this context.

I totally agree with you on the sugary drinks and have quit them a while ago. The sugar-free alternatives are just as bad for you.

BTW your lemon & lime drinks contain sugar but you know that.

Hmmm I don't think so. Those electrolyte packs are sugar free.

It is your limes that contain sugar. Quite significant amounts of it too.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

With sustainable means me keep doing it not it being available of from yourself. My problem is that your solution squeezing limes and stuff bores me after a while. It takes effort (yes I am lazy) and not as nice and easy as just opening a package and mixing.

I usually buy lemons and limes in bulk, squeeze and freeze in ice cube trays.

8 hours ago, thedemon said:

Hmmm I don't think so. Those electrolyte packs are sugar free.

It is your limes that contain sugar. Quite significant amounts of it too.

No way are you getting away with that.

On average, 100g of cola has 11g of sugar.

So a small (say 345ml) bottle of cola has 38g of sugar.

Lime juice contains 1.7g of sugar per 100g.

The equivalent 345ml bottle of lime juice would contain 6g of sugar.

Would I be likely to drink 1 or 2  small bottles of cola per day? Sure.

Would I be likely to drink 1 or 2 small bottles of lime juice (and, don't forget, we're talking freshly squeezed lime juice) per day? No way. Let's assume I'd drink 30ml of lime juice per day. That's around 0.5g sugar.

Your claim that the electrolyte drinks are sugar-free is rubbish, some have 'no added sugar' some have natural sweeteners like stevia. There are one or two products that are sugar-free but they are very expensive.

I'd be more concerned about people who install R/O water filters for their drinking water. That'll remove all trace minerals and start leeching minerals from your body. Plus they waste around 40% of water used in the process.

A balanced diet will provide all the vitamins and minerals you need. I do a lot of physical work and sweat a great deal. I drink plenty of our borehole water and eat well. I've recently cut out sugar drinks, rice, bread, pasta and potatoes (I'll have one meal per week with one of those carbs) and have substituted the carbs for lentils. I eat lots of yoghurt, fresh fruit, museli, nuts, garlic, ginger (Indian curries at least 3 times a week) and am already losing weigh and feeling better.

Refined sugar is really bad for you.

And to keep on topic, soda water with juice of 1 lime and ice is the only drink that really quenches my thirst. 

20 hours ago, essox essox said:

why NOT just drink plain cool water.....????

Because Soda water has a bite like beer, and none of beers drawbacks, apart from gas.

I go through two crates a week. Agree that the glass bottles are ridiculous, especially since the two main brands can their own beer as well.

And Schweppes prices are a sick joke. But TIT.

On the health front, gassy water is the least of my concerns. 

Death and dying, in the app that is our life, it's not a bug it's a feature.

12 hours ago, grollies said:

Papers? They'd be the release papers from the asylum? 

I have chosen to leave a highly functional society, democrazy and country,  and go ahead and live in Thailand. Figur that one out ????

a few bottles of bubbles, whant change much. 

13 minutes ago, Tagged said:

I have chosen to leave a highly functional society, democrazy and country,  and go ahead and live in Thailand. Figur that one out ????

a few bottles of bubbles, whant change much. 

''I'm with you every step of the way hoss''.

In regards to salt loss via perspiration,   If you are outdoors and active,  i wouldn't hold back on the salt at all.    You need it every bit as much as that water.

When I go for a spin on my bike,  lots of times I come back with dried salt on my face and neck from perspiration.   

I've taken a liking to salted fish with rice,  have it each day and reckon 1 salted fish steak has a gram of salt in it if not more.

Blood pressure is good, I also hit magnesium, calcium and zinc each day.   and eat foods high in potassium.   I try to bolster anything that is water soluable,  since I drink a freightcar load of soda water and sweat like a guy on trial.

21 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Not true in respect of carbonated water, called club soda un the US.  See article below.

it is important to keep hydrated most of all. Carbonated water is fine - it's the additives that cause issues.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/7-health-benefits-of-water

Curious the article doesn't talk of the additives you mentioned which is what? Thanks

56 minutes ago, grollies said:

No way are you getting away with that.

On average, 100g of cola has 11g of sugar.

So a small (say 345ml) bottle of cola has 38g of sugar.

Lime juice contains 1.7g of sugar per 100g.

The equivalent 345ml bottle of lime juice would contain 6g of sugar.

Would I be likely to drink 1 or 2  small bottles of cola per day? Sure.

Would I be likely to drink 1 or 2 small bottles of lime juice (and, don't forget, we're talking freshly squeezed lime juice) per day? No way. Let's assume I'd drink 30ml of lime juice per day. That's around 0.5g sugar.

Your claim that the electrolyte drinks are sugar-free is rubbish, some have 'no added sugar' some have natural sweeteners like stevia. There are one or two products that are sugar-free but they are very expensive.

I'd be more concerned about people who install R/O water filters for their drinking water. That'll remove all trace minerals and start leeching minerals from your body. Plus they waste around 40% of water used in the process.

A balanced diet will provide all the vitamins and minerals you need. I do a lot of physical work and sweat a great deal. I drink plenty of our borehole water and eat well. I've recently cut out sugar drinks, rice, bread, pasta and potatoes (I'll have one meal per week with one of those carbs) and have substituted the carbs for lentils. I eat lots of yoghurt, fresh fruit, museli, nuts, garlic, ginger (Indian curries at least 3 times a week) and am already losing weigh and feeling better.

Refined sugar is really bad for you.

And to keep on topic, soda water with juice of 1 lime and ice is the only drink that really quenches my thirst. 

This is your quote

BTW your lemon & lime drinks contain sugar but you know that.

And this is the link robblok provided for his lemon & lime drink

"highly overpriced and packed in heavy glass bottles which themselves are a nuisance to toss."  95% of water at my local Tops, BigC, Tesco & 7-11 come in very thin walled plastic bottles. 6 X 1.5 litres @ 49 baht, that's hardly expensive, & I'm on a relatively tight budget. Leave the glass or plastic bottles at your front door-gate & they'll soon disappear.

I to drink the Carbonated water here are we talking in Thailand the Chang/Rock that goes for 9 baht at the 7/11?

I don't drink sodas like coke but like the carbonation can drink it straight no need for any added favor.

I was told not too many do to the sodium, but the bottles here do not list anything even in Thai as to the content I drink maybe 1 every other day.

When you get older it seems everything you like you can't have any longer I recently found a drink at Tops it is cabornated water but 18 baht you find it on the shelf called HBD sparkling water " cola lime favored "  no sugar zero Cal?  made in Thailand had a Thai read the label said 1% sodium don't care for the favor is that going to kill me?????️‍♀️

Despite being nearly 75, I'm built like a racing snake and never have a day's illness despite preferring soda to still water. I wonder what sort of shape those posting on the dangers of soda drinking are in? There are things far worse for your health than drinking soda water, being a couch potato and over-eating for example. I also have a few scotches of an evening, but at 75 why should I worry?

I have a little chubby German friend who's always advising me on the things I should and shouldn't be eating and drinking. This despite him spending most of his time in the kitchen cooking up delights for himself and never exercising. He's a good lad so I just smile and say "Ja"

I think I can state catagorically that there are many far worse things to drink than soda water and compared to most of the rubbish we stick down our throats, isn't worth worrying about.

36 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Despite being nearly 75, I'm built like a racing snake and never have a day's illness despite preferring soda to still water. I wonder what sort of shape those posting on the dangers of soda drinking are in? There are things far worse for your health than drinking soda water, being a couch potato and over-eating for example. I also have a few scotches of an evening, but at 75 why should I worry?

I have a little chubby German friend who's always advising me on the things I should and shouldn't be eating and drinking. This despite him spending most of his time in the kitchen cooking up delights for himself and never exercising. He's a good lad so I just smile and say "Ja"

I think I can state catagorically that there are many far worse things to drink than soda water and compared to most of the rubbish we stick down our throats, isn't worth worrying about.

Aber naturlich.  SicherheitsmaBnamen!  Krankenwagen Nein!

22 hours ago, essox essox said:

why NOT just drink plain cool water.....????

Because the bubbles are so much more refreshing in your mouth and also in your stomach. I find that soda water calms my stomach far better than flat water does. I drink 3-6 bottles/day, sometimes with fruit juice, but mostly straight from the bottle. Beer does the same, but I'm a lightweight and can't really drink more than a couple without paying a price.

I've been drinking cold green tea with soda for the last 35 years here; megalitres of the stuff.
Boil two litres of water with a few (fresh) Pandamus leafs (which grow outside on the balcony) - this is for taste only.

Once the water boils, switch off the gas and add three heaped soup (not coffee) spoons of green tea leafs (or any other tea) and, in my case, 10 tablets of artificial sugar. Let it cool down, pour it into a jug and keep it in the fridge.

Fill a drinking glass with 1/3 of the green tea "concentrate", fill up with soda - et voila. You might have to find your own formula to match your taste.

Done this for half my life and no side effects of calcium erosion etc. according to my latest check-up result.

I drink about 2-3 bottles of soda a day, most of the time mixed with a bit of fruit juice. As I was enjoying it so much, I got worried about drinking too much and researched it. Couldn't find any data that would suggest it being dangerous.

2 hours ago, thedemon said:

This is your quote

And this is the link robblok provided for his lemon & lime drink

I was specifically quoting your statement that:

''Hmmm I don't think so. Those electrolyte packs are sugar free.

It is your limes that contain sugar. Quite significant amounts of it too.''

Freshly-squeezed lime juice does not contain significant amounts of sugar as you incorrectly stated. This is why lime juice tastes sour, not sweet.........? You do understand this point right?

The electrolyte packs contain artificial sweeteners which are supposedly just as bad for you as refined sugar (stevia extract). The ingredients list read like a chemistry lesson.

Anyway, I'm done.

Archived