Best Thai Bank (For Farangs)

On 5/27/2019 at 7:15 AM, BobBKK said:

I changed to Bangkok Bank as they seem the most 'international'. Be careful and read up on the 65k requirements (lots of threads here).

I also have a BB account but the downside is my debit/cash card is no longer Visa but UnionPay which is not so widely accepted.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

I also have a BB account but the downside is my debit/cash card is no longer Visa but UnionPay which is not so widely accepted.

That is why that card has been done away with and replaced with another equally not widely accepted MasterCard. I think you keep the UnionPay until it expires.

• Thanks 1

On 5/27/2019 at 10:53 AM, kokesaat said:

A few weeks ago I visited 3 banks in Udon....CIMB, Bangkok Bank, and Siam Commercial.  I was looking for the best place to park my 800k for my extension.  All the banks were willing to open an account for me.......all the banks have a wide variety of account options.  CIMB offers a special rate for seniors......and when I initially asked about whether I qualified, the clerk said no, but after I showed her my yellow house book and pink id, she said, no problem.

Yellow house book?  Or alternatively, a letter or something from a hotel?
What is the pink ID?
And presumably the passport with non-immgration / O-A visa? 

Edited by Cat ji

The yellow bank pay 1.3% once you have a 1 yr visa you can also open a tourist account hotel address. very helpful. also open a Bk bank account as they are normally at the top for exchange rates no fees .only about 300 baht for T T

54 minutes ago, Cat ji said:

Yellow house book?  Or alternatively, a letter or something from a hotel?
What is the pink ID?
And presumably the passport with non-immgration / O-A visa? 

go to the Krungsi yellow bank with your passport and open a tourist account easy peesy lemon squeesy

My vote goes to Bangkok Bank for its many branches and excellent customer service and good English speakers. Easiest to open an account in Thailand.

Don't go to SCB because I have bad experiences with a number of their branches who asked me to withdraw from ATM instead of counter. 

Edited by EricTh

10 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

You  don't know what my situation is.. There are banks here but not one has anyone who can speak reasonable English.. so stuff your little judgement where it fits.. 

I find that's true.

But Bangkok Bank has the best English speaking customer service I have found.

10 hours ago, Graviton said:

Laza 45.... Learn to speak thai..... It will be very easy then. 

I have known some people who have been in Thailand for 7 years or more and all they know is to order food in Thai like 'kai', 'kung', 'tom yam' and that's considered primary one level Thai.

To go to intermediate level is almost impossible for most retirees in Thailand.

Edited by EricTh

9 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

A visa agent told me (admittedly two years ago) that only Bangkok Bank now participate in assisting ex-pats who don't possess sufficient funds. Apparently all other Thai banks won't due to money laundering regulations. My agent opened a Bangkok bank account for me and advised me to use it to keep it open for future extensions. Now have a choice of UnionPay or MasterCard debit cards.

Just curious. How does Bangkok Bank assist expats who don't have sufficient funds like 800K?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wilailuk said:

Kasikorn Bank and they have good insurances for almost everything..

Refused to pay on my accident insurance with them when I broke my jaw.

Claimed it was 'cosmetic' so not covered.

Not good insurance IMHO.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

So you dont need a visa to live here ? why comment ??              

I did border runs but thats kind of over now.  No, I'm leaving.  Taking the wife with me.  I have a Bangkok bank account.  I'm going to close it.  There's really no good banking option for foreigners here.  Most won't even open an account for you even if you're married.  I've had money literally "disappear" in Thai banks before.   Good luck.

15 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

That is why that card has been done away with and replaced with another equally not widely accepted MasterCard. I think you keep the UnionPay until it expires.

I am with BB and have Be 1st visa? Have they changed that? 

I exchanged my UnionPay card for a MasterCard at my local branch. A forest of paperwork and 400 baht fee. According to advertisement posters (in Thai) in the branch they appear to be offering MasterCard as an option alongside UnionPay. Therefore, if you already hold a UnionPay card it may simply continue unless you request otherwise.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Refused to pay on my accident insurance with them when I broke my jaw.
Claimed it was 'cosmetic' so not covered.
Not good insurance IMHO.
Wow! I had 'one off' accident insurance from Bangkok Bank. Would definitely have assumed broken bones would be covered. You'd hardly do it on purpose. And 'cosmetic?' Ridiculous excuse for refusing to pay out!

• Like 1

Just curious. How does Bangkok Bank assist expats who don't have sufficient funds like 800K?

I believe by facilitating a transfer of funds of that amount in/out of your account with them upon the same day which apparently satisfies immigration office requirements for granting extensions.

23 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Wow! I had 'one off' accident insurance from Bangkok Bank. Would definitely have assumed broken bones would be covered. You'd hardly do it on purpose. And 'cosmetic?' Ridiculous excuse for refusing to pay out!

Makes me wonder about mandatory health insurance? 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 8:49 AM, Laza 45 said:

Can you tell me what the best interest rate is that you came up wit please?

1.5% in a non-fixed account.  Peanuts, I agree.  But I wanted my money in a bank and in a non-fixed account.  Mission accomplished.

• Thanks 1

The main issue in opening a bank account is proof of address. When i wanted a new bank account took me 5 attempts - all asked for yellow book (which i didn't have). Other forms of proof of address MAY be accepted, but not always. You just have to keep on trying, pot luck. You can get a proof of address document from Immigration (for 500 baht typically) or your embassy (a lot more than 500 baht). I eventually sweet talked a bank clerk into accepting my driving licence as proof of address.