Friend got arrested and had to pay a fine of 5000 THB

2000 THB fine if you don't report your address every 90 days;

1800 THB fine for the 'house-master' which you'll be expected to pay if the owner of the residence you live in doesn't report your address within 24 hours of you arriving back after an absence or after moving in to a new place;

So - will the new shake-down be the TM-28 shake-down?  5000 THB fine for not reporting your temporary address while being away from your primary residence for 24 hours?  Notwithstanding that most police stations where you can conveniently submit a TM-28 have no idea what a TM-28 is along with the fact that you can not submit a temporary absence from you're primary residence online - it looks like a really lucrative way of separating money for 'rich' farangs.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Traveling is not a problem as long as you already reported where you actually live (permanent address) by 90 day report. 

Whast everyones opinion on this? i.e. If you have a sucessful 90 day report, you can forget TM30 issues as long as you dont move permanent address?

Like mnay others this whole issue is very hard for me to understand as TM30 is not designed for tenants. Also reporting onself as a condominium owner does not seem correct either looking the form.

1 hour ago, Toany said:

But, they can also ask for the owner to turn up in person to file the TM30. My immigration office asked owner to travel 200 Km to file it

In Thailand goal posts have wheels

That would be a right hoot in my case, my landlady lives in the Netherlands ????????????

21 hours ago, yokat said:

90 day : report your address

tm28 : report a change in your address

tm30 : get someone to report your address

What if I work in Bangkok and travel 2 times a month within thailand ? What do I have to report ? Coming back to my everyday condo ? Staying at a hotel over the weekend ?

It's hard to play by the rules ????

"It's hard to play by the rules :/" The rules are only what each individual IO says they are.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

Whast everyones opinion on this? i.e. If you have a sucessful 90 day report, you can forget TM30 issues as long as you dont move permanent address?

Like mnay others this whole issue is very hard for me to understand as TM30 is not designed for tenants. Also reporting onself as a condominium owner does not seem correct either looking the form.

Won't work if Immigration wish to fine you. This is because the 90-day report and 24-hour notification are separate and parallel systems of reporting your address. You must complete both if you wish to comply with the law.

Do not take not getting fined as proof that doing one negates the other. It does not. Not getting fined simply means Immigration chose not to enforce the letter of the law on that occasion.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I wonder if Thong Lor Police Station were involved as opposed to purely the Immigration Dept. This sounds like an adaptation of their (Thong Lor) street round-ups of foreigners not carrying their passports which they have done on and off over the last couple of decades only stopping when the outcry from the embassies reaches the right ears.

Yes just another scam. Nothing new. Only in Thailand as well

21 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I report to immigration in Jomtien, I have done for the last 8 years of living here, I did my 90 days last month and report again in August, I have the piece of paper in my passport that says I need to report my address again on such & such a date in August, how am I going to be arrested ??

No l.have the same as you. But l moved to BKK. l went to the police station  made them do the change of address TM 28 30 same same Jomtien told me. So l did the TM30. I not going to BKK IMO LOL. Dreaming. l don't extend again either

10 minutes ago, Tajasia said:

Yes just another scam. Nothing new. Only in Thailand as well

Not a scam at all! He didn't follow the rules, got caught, was fined and got a receipt. All in accordance with the laws which are now being enforced rigorously.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AlexRich said:

They are doing a very good job of driving foreigners out of the country. When I visit Thailand, on my return home I usually book a room at the airport the night before flying, do I need to report that to immigration?

if the answer is yes I’ll give Thailand a miss in the future.

That's really taking it to the logical extreme isn't it?

21 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

There are easier ways to accomplish this, but maybe without the inherent full-employment, and fee generation income, aspects?

there you go, if they do the other way around imagine how many will be without a job

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You are confusing a change of address report using a TM28 form and a TM30 report. 

As I wrote the TM30 report can be done on online.

Joe can the tm30 be done online if you only rent your condo or it is only for people that own there Condo??? 

18 minutes ago, Monkeyrobot said:

Joe can the tm30 be done online if you only rent your condo or it is only for people that own there Condo??? 

It can be done as the possessor of a residence. if you are renting it that makes you the possessor.

You have to register to the reports online. I posted a link for it earlier in this topic.

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I am on the extension of stay and have had a yellow book for a few years now and been at this address for a dozen years.

If I go, for example, to Koh Chang, and stay at a resort there. I would reasonably expect the resort to inform immigration as to my stay. The same will apply in August, I will leave the country for a couple of weeks and I will stay in an airport hotel. I expect to do nothing, apart from checking in.

I don't expect and never have filled in TM28 OR TM30 forms.

My son recently went home after visiting me here on a 30-day visa waiver on entry as he is a UK national. Whilst here, they stayed in Kalasin, Chiang Mai, and Krabi as well as finishing in Bangkok. Surely, it is the hotels' responsibility to inform immigration of their checking in, not the tourists' responsibility?

This thread is confusing!

When you return to your residence after your away stay you will need a TM30 report that you have returned to your residence.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Did he get receipt for the fine. I think not.

The 5,000 baht is the maximum fine is for not reporting a change of address or staying in another province for more than 24 hours (TM28 form). That report cannot be done online.

The max fine for an individual not doing a TM30 report is 2000 baht. It is possible to do online after registering for the reporting.

Sorry Joe one more question, on the online reporting at the bottom has Document name and attach file , what information do I insert in the attach file? Also the house I’d number is that in my Landloards yellow book? 

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It can be done as the possessor of a residence. if you are renting it that makes you the possessor.

You have to register to the reports online. I posted a link for it earlier in this topic.

Ubonjoe, i tried it at CW and got refused, they wanted blue book ,chanotes , power of attorney etc.

Did that change for real? i have only a rental agreement.

3 minutes ago, Monkeyrobot said:

Sorry Joe one more question, on the online reporting at the bottom has Document name and attach file , what information do I insert in the attach file? Also the house I’d number is that in my Landloards yellow book? 

See this topic for info. https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1097420-tm30-online-are-people-using-it/

• Like 1

The whole Thai reporting system is complicated, unrefined, bureaucratic, obsolete and with many double and triple data collections. Similarly, the various online systems are incompatible, incomprehensible and subject to system errors.
Likewise, the document requirements and the application of immigration regulations are not uniform.
Each immigration office runs its own style, which only causes confusion.
In addition, the system also opens up the corruption, extortion and bribes.

It is time that the whole system is comprehensively renewed.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, buick said:

one issue, if you will, is the online system only shows the most recent TM30.  if you stay in a hotel in thailand and they file a TM30 (some don't), it knocks out the TM30 filed for your primary residence.

That's weird... that someone designed the TM30 system like that....

By contrast, when I do my 90-day reports via the online system, when I log-in, it shows me my entire history of each different online reporting instance going back some years....

5 hours ago, newnative said:

Immigration police raided my Bangkok condo the other week. Illegal renters that hadn't been registered with Immigration were fined 2000 baht.  Owners doing the illegal rentals were also fined.

Didn't I just read elsewhere that someone got hit up for 5000 baht!

18 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Yes you do.

And yes it's absolutely ridiculous.

But great, no more domestic traveling for me, no more spending money on hotels, no more visiting gfs parents...too much hassle. Ill just save the moneys.

From the way @Buick and others have described the TM30 record-keeping, it sounds like two different scenarios:

1. if you stay in a hotel on some inside country travel, they're likely to do a TM30 report on you, that would knock out your current address filing for your actual home, and then you'd need to refile to get your address back to your real home in the TM30 system or face future problems.

2. But, if you travel inside the country and stay briefly somewhere where like with relatives where they're not part of the TM30 reporting system and not likely to file a report on you themselves, then probably Immigration would have no idea you ever stayed away from your home overnight.... unless something occurred to bring you to their attention.

For anyone residing in an IO area where they want TM30s for domestic travel, not just travel internationally, it would be a dis-incentive to do any hotel stay sightseeing here.

BTW, I have no idea from the various posts how BKK CW is enforcing that aspect?  Is BKK CW only wanting TM30s when you travel outside Thailand (which apparently they are now), or are they also wanting them when you stay elsewhere inside Thailand?

37 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's weird... that someone designed the TM30 system like that....

It was designed to be used by hotels, hence the ability to upload an Excel spreadsheet linked by macros to the front of house system. It wasn't designed for individuals to report per se, like the 90-Day Reporting system. Yes, individuals can self-report based on an account tied to a property/house/condo/apartment.

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Is BKK CW only wanting TM30s when you travel outside Thailand (which apparently they are now), or are they also wanting them when you stay elsewhere inside Thailand?

No definitive proof so far, but it may be safest to re-file a TM30 if you think a domestic hotel may have reported you (like you gave them your passport) via their TM30 system, altering your address of record, which you might use for a subsequent ext stay renewals.

And it may be safest to re-file a TM30 when you return from an international trip, although there seems to be some confusion/disagreement on this one.

At the very least, it may be advisable to refile a TM30 just prior to any visit to Immigration, if you've had a domestic situation where some third party (hotel, hospital, etc.) may have filed a TM30 on you.

Added that every IO, office in the land can/will interpret the TM30 thing as they see fit until some guidance or directive is issued from on high.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

if you change to a hotel the repprting is fone automatically. if you move to a permanent condo you just report once.

I don't think either of those statements are correct...

1. AFAICT, there are still "hotels" and other guest accommodations around, probably tending to be the less formal ones, that aren't doing the required TM30 reporting even though it's technically required. The hotel staff actually have to do it... it's not like it happens by magic.

2. Once you move to a permanent address and report it, any future even brief travel away such as out of the country or staying at a hotel elsewhere in Thailand could trigger the need to report again.... depending on which IO supervises your home area.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2019 at 7:09 AM, Golden Triangle said:

I have lived in this house for 5 years or more, I have been to many places within Thailand during that period and have also been to Singapore and back by train through Malaysia and have never ever reported back to immigration on my return to my registered address, never been a problem when renewing my extension or 90 day reporting.

Eventually your local Immi office will realize that money can be made, and will slap you with a 800-1600 baht fine.

5 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Eventually your local Immi office will realize that money can be made, and will slap you with a 800-1600 baht fine.

???? I think Jomtien Immigration have more than enough scams on their plates to worry about this one.

In 8 years I have been to the UK twice, Bali once, Singapore 5 or 6 times and have been North, South, East & West of Thailand add into that 8 yearly extensions for Retirement and 32 90 day reporting (appx) and have never been asked for money by way of a fine and never ever had to report to immigration to let them know that I'm back ???? 

So I look forward to that (not)