PR for retirees, please!

2 minutes ago, dcnx said:

So many other counties will give you PR easily, especially if you have a little bit of money. Not sure why everyone wants to swim upstream and make life hard on themselves until they finally kick the bucket. Go with the flow, not against it.

I think most people initially going into the retirement system which could be as early as age 50 don't fully appreciate the potential future perils of not having residence security (here or anywhere) until much later. So there's no reason for Thailand to change that system. Their current offer which continues to get more restrictive continues to attract more than enough applicants.

8 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

I completely agree that retirees need PR.

Someone, somewhere is desperately needed to handle their Public Relations. 

Rooster

They may "need" it but dollars to doughnuts they ain't gonna get it! Not in Thailand. EVER. People coming in need to be better informed about how that can bite them later. Thailand is not the only retired expat destination choice in the world.

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

You'll find in most countries there is s requirement to learn the local language to get a long term visa.

And I would, if a long term Extension was available..... not including OX  visa of course and certainly not elite which one has to pay a lot for. Hopefully I could get an ED for the learning time.

Edited by jacko45k

People are living longer. Someone applying at 50 could easily live to be 90. That same person may have plenty of money at 50 when they apply for a retirement visa.  But it's a real risk to Thailand to give somebody a permanent residence that you may have to support into old age.

Medical Care is becoming extremely expensive.  As it is a lot of retirees don't even have the 800,000 to put in the bank how would they survive for 30 or 40 years if costs dramatically escalate but their income stays the same.

If I was in charge I would be very careful about giving out permanent residency.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

But it's a real risk to Thailand to give somebody a permanent residence that you may have to support into old age.

They hardly support their own into old age and a foreigner with PR should perhaps be treated equally. It's not like the Thais have usually paid into the tax system!

54 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

I completely agree that retirees need PR.

Someone, somewhere is desperately needed to handle their Public Relations. 

Rooster

What country did you come from? Do they give retired Thais PR?

2 hours ago, biggles45 said:

you NEVER report to immigration for any reason.  not once in my 7 years

When you don't work, 1 day a year to visit immigration must be a terrible inconvenience. How would you find the time?

Just the people who don't give a shit about the rules, bribe their way out and are basically economical refugees as they can't afford to live in their home country with their pension

My wife has got permanent residency after living 5 years in Germany. We have enough money to live in both countries

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/28/2019 at 1:57 PM, Swiss1960 said:

Agree 100% with you... but don't expect any Thai immigration official to listen to what farangs would like to have amended...

It's not so easy to ignore their spouses or DN kids.

I'd like to see PR after say 3 trouble-free years in the Kingdom for married or retired ferangs with the added incentive of losing it for any that are caught drink driving.

Edited by evadgib

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Never forget, Thailand is not a multi-cultural society, in fact plenty of Thais don't really understand what that term really means. Plus the point about 'never colonized'.

After 30 +years here and around the last 25 with PR I still get:

- 'Yes but where is your home?'

• Here, Thailand is my home, 

- 'No I mean your actual home? 

• Thailand is my permanent home, I haven't been back to the country where I was born for over 20 Years'

- "That's not possible.' 'What about your family at home (in your original country)?' 

• I have no family in the country where I was born, they are all deceased. My Thai family is my family and I live in Thailand with my Thai family and I have Thai PR (also often not really understood).

- 'Yes but what about your house in your original country?'

• I don't have any house in the country where I was born.'

- 'That's not possible, Every farang owns many houses including in the country where they were born.' or 'Can I go and stay in your house in xxx?'

• Not true, I don't have and I don't want a home in the country where I was born, Thailand is now my permanent home with my Thai family.

'But when will you go home?'

• Give up and politely walk away.

Hence the original name for Thaksin's party, loosely translated as "Thais (only) love Thais" or "Thailand for Thais"

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They hardly support their own into old age and a foreigner with PR should perhaps be treated equally. It's not like the Thais have usually paid into the tax system!

Just because things are like that now doesn't mean Thailand will not improve in the future and take better care of their senior citizens as its economy improves and its tax base increases.

23 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, there is one of the criteria for PR that is over 50, thai wife and no Thai job/tax requirements. But the knowledgeable guys (UJ etc) say an application in that category wont go through. (maybe its never been tested)

Its frustrating because you can see it written in the criteria.

Edited by Jaray

7 hours ago, evadgib said:

Occasionally, but most have already by then acquired citizenship therefore it isn't necessary.

They give citizenship to retired people?  I know in the USA, they have to invest $500,000 on a company to be able to retire there.

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

Never forget, Thailand is not a multi-cultural society, in fact plenty of Thais don't really understand what that term really means. Plus the point about 'never colonized'.

Kids are taught it at school these days.

Muslims, Christians, Buddhists, Sikhs, Hindus.

Near me there are many Thai/Chinese, Thai/Indian, Burmese, Laotian, my daughter, Scottish/Thai passed an audituon to get on a popular Thai soap, but decided she didn't want to do it.

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

They give citizenship to retired people?  I know in the USA, they have to invest $500,000 on a company to be able to retire there.

Would marrying a local lady not allow a person to remain? 

13 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I read online that if someone has Thai dependents, they can get OR without working. Maybe this route has been cancelled, not sure.

That has not been possible for many years. That has been discussed many times on this forum.

• Like 1