Is it OK to insert new video card?

lungbing

Since recently moving to Win 10 I am getting a BSOD  maybe once a week.  Every time it points at nvlddmkm.sys  as the culprit which is the driver for my Nvidia graphics card.  There is no more recent driver than the one I have.  Can I insert a cheapo non-nvidia graphics card on my motherboard and use that instead?  I do not play games so a basic one would be fine.  The nvidia one, a Geforce 7025/ nforce 630a dates back over a decade.

Most motherboard's have graphics onboard, if your motherboard has you could try that 1st.  look on the back and see if there is a connection out..

Now a day even a Brand New AMD - Radeon R5 240 1 GB is 1,000 baht.  I am still using a 10 year old Radeon R7....  

You can try to delete the NVidia driver in remove programs and in the device manager. Just "delete" the graphic card.

Then restart your PC.

Windows will use the built-in Microsoft driver or it will download a new driver. Possibly/likely that will not be the same driver like the one you have installed now.

If the driver was the problem then likely the problem does not exist anymore.

And if the problem still exists then the problem is likely the hardware and they you need a new card (or internal video).

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I have solved the problem some 8  months later.  I was getting the BSOD daily and finally had had enough and started to play with drivers for the

Geforce 7025/ nforce 630a graphics.  Driver version 9.18.13.783 appears to be dated 31/01/2013 and is definitely not the latest driver, but it worked first time and I now haven't had a BSOD in the 4 weeks since I loaded it from NVIDIA's site.

Maybe this will help somebody.

It is a fact that not the latest drivers are the most stable. 

After an update and failures appearing, downgrade is the most succesfully solution. Especially with drivers that are updated regurary.

It is also true that with newer drivers the support for older cards and even motherboards are scraped from the package to save space.

Don't 'fix' something that is working fine. ????

I have a GeForce 420. Had it for years even before windows 10, never a problem.

To answer your question, yes you can just plug in a graphics card and when you switch on your computer will recognize the new hardware and load the relevant drivers.

This will also free up a bit of RAM for you as the onboard graphics won't be needing anymore.

Just noticed the thread is almost a year old, never mind perhaps the information will help someone else. :thumbsup:

Edited by Daffy D