South Korean ship owner fined 50,000 baht for chemical fire at Laem Chabang

webfact

South Korean ship owner fined 50,000 baht for chemical fire at Laem Chabang

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM75aUh9v17R7xu7yRa77Luy00

The Port Authority of Thailand (PAT) has initially slapped a 50,000 baht fine on the South Korean owner of a container ship which caught fire at Laem Chabang deep-sea port last week, causing chemical fumes to blanket surrounding communities.

Meanwhile, about 1,000 residents affected by the smoke lodged a complaint with the Laem Chabang port administration today to demand compensation from the ship’s owner.

Laem Chabang port director Yutthana Mokkhao said yesterday that, besides the 50,000 baht initial fine, the port administration was considering taking legal action against the South Korean shipping firm for its failure to declare the chemicals stored in the containers on board the freighter, KMTC Hong Kong, which caught fire last week.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/south-korean-ship-owner-fined-50000-baht-for-chemical-fire-at-laem-chabang/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-05-29
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Should be 50 million to start with and impound the ship till it has been unloaded and cleaned

I thought I read only yesterday that this incident had cost many millions of baht in damage and services. To then fine them 50,000 says someone got paid off! 

• Like 1

Wow...that'll learn him not to burn the port down....50,000 for the owner of a container ship....it'll probably bankrupt him, if he pays up this is. If not fine the people who had containers on the boat.

4 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Hotdogs al'round then .. Though 50k barts don't sound a huge amount in the grand scheme of things does it .. 

No, just a shot over the bows and that 50 million Baht  into the offshore account of "her" could may be help the problem "go away"

Edited by geoffbezoz

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Port Authority of Thailand (PAT) has initially slapped a 50,000 baht fine on the South Korean owner of a container ship which caught fire at Laem Chabang deep-sea port last week

That must have sent shock waves all the way to Korea !!!!

Ludicrous.

• Haha 1

Ship owner  gets pinged a  relative  hand slap. What about the  shipping  consignee ? Port  officials  at source  of shipping  consignment?

So much has been said  about the Thai  port  Authority  reaction/action in events but little  about manifest details on which to assess such  action if time had been available to make  any such assessment.

That it appears an inappropriate  attempt  was made  to extinguish the fire given the  materials alleged to be involved does  not detract from the  liability  of the  apparent deceptive documentation (based on details I have read) of the  consignee/s.

I bet the port fees had there not been this incident would have been many times 50K THB.

I can hear the South Koreans laughing their heads of from here, I bet the ship is worth less than it will cost to clear up the mess.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

1,000 residents affected by the smoke lodged a complaint with the Laem Chabang port administration today to demand compensation from the ship’s owner.

I live in Pattaya and have had a cough since this fire.  Where do I go to get my compo?