Minimum salary for married to Thai?

I am married to a Thai. I have had extensions of stay based on marriage for years (400,000 Bahts in the bank method).
I am European and not a teacher. 
I am considering accepting a new work. I understand that I will need a work permit.
The general rule is that Immigration requests a minimum salary of 50,000 Bahts/month to get an extension of stay based on work.  
Does it apply to me too as I won't need a business visa/extension of stay? It seems so but I would like to get confirmation.
Sorry if the question has already been asked. I searched the forum and could not find the answer.

Thanks for your answer. So, I can keep on using the 400 K Bahts in the bank method for my annual extension of stay based on marriage, get a 40,000 B/month salary for example and get a work permit? Am I right? I worried that someone at the immigration or ministry of labor would refuse my work permit or extension of stay.

Does the Ministry of Labor even see the salary? I have no idea re that

But for Thai immigration, they will not refuse an extension of stay based on marriage if you can show either (1) 400K in the bank or (2) income of at least 40,000 a month. These fully meet the requirements for that type of extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Extending Marriage Visa on base of Working in Thailand as Employee, Immigration need 40000THB every month
PND 91 should Paid on 40K for 12 Months, PND 1 for last 3 months, office documents.
You can extend Visa.

I just done my 12th Extension NON O Marriage Visa and having kids with Thai wife and working as Employee in Thai Company,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am happy to be corrected by someone who knows better than I do (Ubonjoe, I am looking at you), but I believe you don't need a minimum salary to get a work permit - the minimum salary is for the extension of stay based on work (as you correctly stated in your post).

What I mean is, you can get a work permit for a minimum wage job, but you would need to sort out your own visas or extensions. If you already have an extension based on marriage, then you could get a work permit for any permitted job, and since you don't need the extension based on work you could accept any salary (above minimum wage, of course). So you could get a job with a 15K salary and get a WP, since you already have the extension sorted out.

Don't tell your prospective employer this, of course! If they think you need 50K for the WP, and would have otherwise offered less, then let them keep thinking that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SWW said:

I am happy to be corrected by someone who knows better than I do (Ubonjoe, I am looking at you), but I believe you don't need a minimum salary to get a work permit - the minimum salary is for the extension of stay based on work (as you correctly stated in your post).

What I mean is, you can get a work permit for a minimum wage job, but you would need to sort out your own visas or extensions. If you already have an extension based on marriage, then you could get a work permit for any permitted job, and since you don't need the extension based on work you could accept any salary (above minimum wage, of course). So you could get a job with a 15K salary and get a WP, since you already have the extension sorted out.

Don't tell your prospective employer this, of course! If they think you need 50K for the WP, and would have otherwise offered less, then let them keep thinking that.

Unfortunately, this is not correct. In order to get a work permit issued, there is a specified minimum salary payable, depending on the nationality of the applicant. For example, for a European passport holder, minimum salary is 60,000 baht per month while, say for an African passport holder, it’s 25,000 baht per month. This is usually circumvented by the company stating the minimum salary as above to the tax office and paying tax on that amount but in reality, paying the worker a smaller amount.

12 minutes ago, Falcon said:

Unfortunately, this is not correct. In order to get a work permit issued, there is a specified minimum salary payable, depending on the nationality of the applicant. For example, for a European passport holder, minimum salary is 60,000 baht per month while, say for an African passport holder, it’s 25,000 baht per month. This is usually circumvented by the company stating the minimum salary as above to the tax office and paying tax on that amount but in reality, paying the worker a smaller amount.

But a farang teacher may get around 30,000 Baht per month and still has a work permit?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Falcon said:

I have a different experience.

I was at the accountant today getting work permit sorted to work in my wifes company and she said for british nationals it was 50k a month for non-b and half of that for non-o. For extension you would need 40k minimum. Any higher and you'd be in a new tax bracket if i understood correctly. So we set it at 40k.