Daughter of Alzheimer's mum hits back at "keyboard warriors" - praises Philippines immigration

webfact

Thailand the"Medical Hub" well that didn't ring true.. I still can't work out with paying 86k a month they could not use the income method?

The Philippines does seem a lot more welcoming.. As for key board warriors this is the internet its a fact of life. 

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Chicken George said:

Thailand the"Medical Hub" well that didn't ring true.. I still can't work out with paying 86k a month they could not use the income method?

The Philippines does seem a lot more welcoming.. As for key board warriors this is the internet its a fact of life. 

But TV does have a reputation for sad keyboard warriors and sexpats. 

Another forum I use reminds users in its T&C, "This isn't Thai Visa. Be nice or be quiet."

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

“She has to renew every 6 months, and can keep doing that for up to 36 months, at which point, she can pay for a "card" (about 3000 pesos). I still need more details about the card. Bottom line .. she will be able to stay here as long as she lives".”

So the mother now has a 3 year Visa that can be renewed every 6 months?  The “Card” she is talking is about is an ACR card.  I did not know such a PI visa existed and did not have financial or income requirements.  If what she claims is true then I might be there next year when I Extension expires?  

I do know of many foreigners who are on the Tourist Visa Extension scheme that can last for 36 months.  After the 36 months a “Visa Run” has to be executed and then the 36 month cycle can be begin again.  Tourist Visa’s in the PI can be extended for 1 to 2 months?  These foreigners in the PI that I know of normally go to Immigration up to 5 times a year for Tourist Visa extensions.  

In due time she will start complaining about Philippines as well. This had really nothing to do with Thailand or any country, only with her own attitude and lack of willingness to seek other solutions, that were clearly present.

3 hours ago, Seth1a2a said:

Alzheimer's patient forced out of Thailand: 

This headline was probably the source of the negative backlash because it implies that she was forcibly removed by Immigration in some sort of callous and heartless fashion  as opposed to the actual family decision to make better arrangements for her care.  A fair and true statement: 

Alzheimer's patient relocates to the Philippines due to financial constraints

Would have been received with a completely different overall response and there certainly would have been an outpouring of well wishes and congratulations on your success in finding a solution to your dilemma .  

Yes, immigration here would have helped at their dis resesion if the envelope was big enough. Heartless B^*^^*^^*s. Money money fixes all here.

i praise the daughter for not abandoning her Mother as so many abandon their parents around the world once they secure the money they have, for them selves.

i really hope they are all happy over in the Phillipines.

many of the armchair posters have got nothing else worthy to say, just critisise. They can't be bothered to wait for their little brain to activate before they open their mouth. They make me sick.

Don't expect sympathy from the rose-coloured specs brigade and the junta fans on here because you won't get it. I thought your mother was treated abominably, but I wasn't surprised by TI's attitude. Good luck to your mum in the Philippines and put the keyboard warriors on "ignore", it'll make this forum a pleasanter place to visit and you won't have to wade through the rubbish to get to the meat.

3 x 800,000 baht per annum to keep her, her mum and husband here is a big chunk in anyone's language, especially when you can't touch half of it for 6 months, i.e. 2.4 million baht has to be in the bank 3 months before they apply for their extensions x 3, then they can't touch any of it for 6 months, i.e. only being able to access 1.2 million baht after 3 months of their extensions being approved.

The above said, the daughter would still be required to be paying 86,000 baht to the Chang Mai aged care facility which means the daughter would need an additional 516,000 baht during the time the 2.4 million is in the bank for their 3 extensions, so 2.916,000 baht in total, that is a sheet load of money in anyone's language add to that living expenses and you have passed 3,000,000 baht for 6 months, no thanks.

Got to feel for the daughter's situation, suffice to say if immigration couldn't see this, they need to go back to school, if it were me, I would have moved to either the Philippines or back home, why even contemplate spending one more baht here.

The daughter would be going through hell, having to put her mum in the Philippines and then come back here to live, I suspect her mum having Alzheimer's does make it a lot easier.

Will Thai immigration learn anything from this, methinks not, sad, but hey, this is Thailand with a lot of sad people here, except those who are making the baht through corruption.

The forum was mostly sympathetic to the family's situation. But the vast majority rejected OP's claim that somehow Thai immigration was responsible for the family not being able to put $25k in the patient's name in a Thai bank.

No "exception" should be made that is just opening a can of worms because where does immigration draw the line?

She could or did not want to meet the current rules, so moved on.

It is what it is hope everything works out in Phils.  They are maybe the best caregivers in the world anyway.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

"While the immigration situation in Thailand was frustrating, I can't be upset about it. It's their country and we are mere guests.

Thailand makes sure to remind us at least every 90 days we are not only blessed by the grace of their god to be guests here, we can be removed.

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

No "exception" should be made that is just opening a can of worms because where does immigration draw the line?

She could or did not want to meet the current rules, so moved on.

It is what it is hope everything works out in Phils.  They are maybe the best caregivers in the world anyway.

Philippines immigration are happy to make exceptions.

Why do you think Thai immigration shouldn't show, sympathy, compassion or understanding for an elderly person?

As a matter of fact. Thailand just lost approx. 2,000,000 Baht of income to Thailand economy per year.  Imagine, these is only one case. There are thousands, who just don't post it but also leave to Manila etc. 

Its reallz verz stupid to cut off the hand who feed you. Sometimes they will understand or never.

Welcome to Manila and the Philippines, its a much better choice!!!!  

42 minutes ago, shaurene said:

Yes, immigration here would have helped at their dis resesion if the envelope was big enough. Heartless B^*^^*^^*s. Money money fixes all here.

i praise the daughter for not abandoning her Mother as so many abandon their parents around the world once they secure the money they have, for them selves.

i really hope they are all happy over in the Phillipines.

many of the armchair posters have got nothing else worthy to say, just critisise. They can't be bothered to wait for their little brain to activate before they open their mouth. They make me sick.

Excellent! Dam right!...it's a great feeling to read someone who isn't afraid to say the TRUTH.

2 hours ago, YetAnother said:

we are not wanted here and a whole lot of people are now understanding that; thais want our money but they do not want us livng here

You have right, Thais government  will only all expat have to stay on good health but if you lost your health and is inevitability with the years for everybody you not welcome any more. I thank you this lady for share experience and open our mind about real Thailand country and thinking more carefully about our future on Thailand

Unfortunately TV is getting like the Daily Mirror/Bangkok Jack; it has to sell space to keep going. If that is where your head is at well keep reading. I do think the mods have a duty of care with some articles. When u see 127 pages of dribble because a guy is dying due to lack of insurance well make your own mind up.

I would imagine there are a few TV members trying to remember where the car keys are at the moment. It goes down hill from there. Pointing the finger always gets 3 coming back at you.

Happy to hear an alternative has been found for the lady.

Empathy is learnt by most. Sometimes it hurts.

2 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

As far as I can see this woman put herself in the firing line of the 'keyboard warriors'.

She decided to try to garner sympathy online but does not like the posts being made.

If you don't want your 15 minutes of fame, step away from the spotlight.

Everyone who posts anything on here had better be ready for the "foreign firing squad" from what I have seen. Way too many people on these forums just waiting to rip someone apart.

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

“She has to renew every 6 months, and can keep doing that for up to 36 months, at which point, she can pay for a "card" (about 3000 pesos). I still need more details about the card. Bottom line .. she will be able to stay here as long as she lives".”

So the mother now has a 3 year Visa that can be renewed every 6 months?  The “Card” she is talking is about is an ACR card.  I did not know such a PI visa existed and did not have financial or income requirements.  If what she claims is true then I might be there next year when I Extension expires?  

I do know of many foreigners who are on the Tourist Visa Extension scheme that can last for 36 months.  After the 36 months a “Visa Run” has to be executed and then the 36 month cycle can be begin again.  Tourist Visa’s in the PI can be extended for 1 to 2 months?  These foreigners in the PI that I know of normally go to Immigration up to 5 times a year for Tourist Visa extensions.  

She can get an SRRV visa and will never have to leave. Still requires a bank deposit though. 

Mrs Davis, 57, told Thaivisa in an email that she did not want to comment on the forum as she was not a "keyboard warrior" and her mother was her focus.

has slammed critics online as "keyboard warriors" who are "lost souls who feel powerful behind a computer screen".

While appreciating that online forums are for sharing ideas she slammed some posters as "crazy, negative, aggressive and accusatory".

I didn't notice any thankyous for the many who supported her on this forum, only attacks on "keyboard warriors" after saying she didn't want to comment.

I haven't changed my views. Her own country should be looking after it's frail and elderly. The type of facility the mother was admitted to in CM is in very short supply in Thailand. Many people who actually live here and require such care may find there are no places available if Americans are going to outsource their long term care patients to Asia to save money. 

3 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Doubt it will happen, but it would be insightful to know the version/comments of Thai Immigration, regarding this specific case. 

I can comment for them "no 25,000bht in brown envelope" bad foreigner out!

9 hours ago, smedly said:

Move on honey

I cannot imagine I would ever put my mother on a center social media stage for anything 

there were actually solutions to your situation if you had asked the right people

you are saying you are seriously pissed off with Thailand and yet you still choose to live here and ship your mother off to another country - sorry but ……………………..am I stating the obvious here...…………..your mum would have been better in Thailand as a dependent  spouse - for baht85k you could have hired a team to look after her in Thailand instead of dumping her to another country - am I missing something   

with respect - Just as well your mother has no clue what is going on

I would hardly call this a "social media state" - more like a common-interest forum. But then, where could you discuss the problems you might be having with your mother's visa problems except on a forum called a Visa Forum. Or am I missing something here?

7 minutes ago, Lee4Life said:

Everyone who posts anything on here had better be ready for the "foreign firing squad" from what I have seen. Way too many people on these forums just waiting to rip someone apart.

Not just on here, the internet is a double edged sword.

The daughter admits that she would follow Thai Immigration rules, so why bother taking her grievance to the internet?

If you air your dirty laundry in public then don't whinge if you get negative criticism.

17 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Doubt it will happen, but it would be insightful to know the version/comments of Thai Immigration, regarding this specific case. 

Why should they make comment, they are following rules and have done nothing wrong.

2 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

who if they can’t help a situation, would rather be negative than be silent.

This is not true, If you look at the original post of the daughter(not the thaivisa official ones) you will see many many suggestions of ways to resolve the situation.

Unfortunately it was quickly apparent that the families mind was already set and it wasn't a real call for help but more of a Thai bashing thing..

Now i have absolutely nothing good to say about Thai immigration that act like a bunch of xenophobes on steroids. They should have been much more flexible with this case, If only to save their countries reputation.

But again, after it was obvious that no good advise will be considered by the daughter and it wasn't a genuine call for help, a backlash from the community was expected.

Move on honey

I cannot imagine I would ever put my mother on a center social media stage for anything 

there were actually solutions to your situation if you had asked the right people

you are saying you are seriously pissed off with Thailand and yet you still choose to live here and ship your mother off to another country - sorry but ……………………..am I stating the obvious here...…………..your mum would have been better in Thailand as a dependent  spouse - for baht85k you could have hired a team to look after her in Thailand instead of dumping her to another country - am I missing something   

with respect - Just as well your mother has no clue what is going on

Not sure what you are going on about and what’s your obsession with Thailand ?
Her mother who needs 24 hour care and attention is obviously better off in the Philippines, immigration there is easier to deal with and the care she needs is affordable to the daughter.

Why would she keep her mother in Thailand where the only thing they care about is her money if there is a better alternative?

The Philippines are predominantly Christian and most Filipinos I know are caring and show compassion for the plight of others -Thailand is predominantly Buddhist- indifferent, selfish, egoistic where most people only care about themselves and there own well-being - not a country you would want to live as an old helpless person unless you are rich and can buy the “care and loyalty” you need.

You obviously know nothing about Alzheimer’s and the enormous psychological, physical and financial strain it puts on family members - who are very often working extra hard to earn a living and just don’t have the time to be there and care for their loved one! To care for her ailing mother is a wonderful selfless act- as the person you care for and worry about very often does not even remember who you are!
The constant stress to care and worry can wear you out and the last thing this courageous daughter needs is to worry about immigration issues or stupid comments like yours!
Nobody is “dumping” anybody as you put it - she obviously cares very much about her mother and goes to great lengths to find a suitable place where her mom can get the care she needs, affordable to her without having to deal with the immigration crap here on top of it all.
When we are old and ailing one day and can’t take care of ourselves anymore we can only hope to have a loved one like this courageous daughter who obviously has not “dumped” her mother and made sure her life is comfortable and gets the care she needs!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, LongTang said:

This is not true, If you look at the original post of the daughter(not the thaivisa official ones) you will see many many suggestions of ways to resolve the situation.

Unfortunately it was quickly apparent that the families mind was already set and it wasn't a real call for help but more of a Thai bashing thing..

Now i have absolutely nothing good to say about Thai immigration that act like a bunch of xenophobes on steroids. They should have been much more flexible with this case, If only to save their countries reputation.

But again, after it was obvious that no good advise will be considered by the daughter and it wasn't a genuine call for help, a backlash from the community was expected.

Great post and I fully agree, the daughters agenda in this matter was Thai bashing.

However, when she gets bashed herself, she does not like it and starts calling the basher's names.

Sometimes it is best to just shut up.

1 minute ago, Bert got kinky said:

Why should they make comment, they are following rules.

It may be the case, for the moment all we have is the word of the lady.

I never form myself an opinion based on one voice, whoever the other part may be.

I must confess I am somehow biased, being permanently in Thailand since 2000, dealing with Immigration for 16 years, I only have good/fair experiences with them.

It can of course change.

Archived