Daughter of Alzheimer's mum hits back at "keyboard warriors" - praises Philippines immigration

webfact

3 hours ago, Tajasia said:

Thailand 4.0 was a lie. One of many

One size fits all, easy, and fashionable.  Thai immigration would love this.  After the health insurance is applied to ALL visas, electronic monitoring is next.

4d16a702b639d272bb82e755cb211d3e82c9a18cb3f9cfa55a395bc297ffeb0b.jpg

Ankle+Bracelet.jpg

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Rocking Robert said:

She till needs insurance . Not cheap at 77

Not possible at 77, and even if it were, no coverage for pre-existing conditions. 

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

And 10 more Chinese coming will more then make up for it so no one cares.

Those 10 Chinese--assuming they are in fact coming, which I doubt--are not going to compensate the care facility for the loss of a patient and the B86K per month.  Not that my heart bleeds for the care facility, but to be technical, they are one of the victims here.

For some reason the 86,000 baht per month spent on medical treatment could not be translated from the Thai immigration monthly income requirement of 65,000 baht, plus the 800k deposit requirement was an added difficulty. Once one has that and a Philippines alternative choice, why not try the PI route? Even if the Thai situation was not identified as a problem, the PI option seems worth considering.

1 hour ago, rosst said:

A lot of truth but the first extension is one month and the second one is two months and after that you can renew for six months until you reach the 3 years at which time you must leave the country or convert your visa. 

There is a visa for long term ill on compassionate grounds, I am unaware of the details. 

Phils resident for five years with travel. 

Good info

46 minutes ago, JimSaints said:

Thai Immigration can just relax as soon there will be no more foreigners to extort - exodus has begun and will continue until only the true losers and (unfortunate for them) families are left. Mind you, very few new expats will show up once they learn what kind of place Thailand has become

Sadly all true

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No,

You can just rock up to the Philippines and stay for 3 years without leaving. Then you have to leave for one night and can stay another 3 years. You just hand your passport to an agent and they will process the extensions every 2 or 3 months and never need to see immigration during that time. About $300/year. Friend of a friend was elderly and a bit unsteady, so he went along to immigration near the end of his 3 year stay and told them he was a bit worried about the night away, they said "no problem sir, we'll just make a note in your passport that you don't need to leave, and you can stay another 3 years".

Great place the Philippines, they don't force the old and the sick to comply with silly rules.

Thailand immigration are a nightmare, this lady is better off in a country that has flexibility and compassion towards foreigners.

Da Phills has regs that state anyone who is old and infirm must have sufficient medical insurance cover. Of course such insurance would likely be unobtainable for the lady in this case. How nice of Da Phils Immigration to help. I hope Thai Immigration are taking note.

It just shows you how there is such a huge difference between the rules and actuality on the ground.

Meanwhile I look forward to the day when I lose my marbles and can chase those wonderful Fillipina nurses around the care home.

1 minute ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Da Phills has regs that state anyone who is old and infirm must have sufficient medical insurance cover. Of course such insurance would likely be unobtainable for the lady in this case. How nice of Da Phils Immigration to help. I hope Thai Immigration are taking note.

You're talking about a long term 1 year retirement VISA.

I'm talking about extending a 30 VISA waiver on entry, every 2-3 months.

Totally different beasts.

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Philippines immigration are happy to make exceptions.

Why do you think Thai immigration shouldn't show, sympathy, compassion or understanding for an elderly person?

I'll spell it out for you M O N E Y and Thai G R E E D

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You're talking about a long term 1 year retirement VISA.

I'm talking about extending a 30 VISA waiver on entry, every 2-3 months.

Totally different beasts.

When I lose my marbles you can be my visa agent. Wait, the guys in white coats have arrived.... Yikes! .... Run!

From my experience I know hospitals can charge a arm and a leg to farangs.also alot of other things Visa included.can not say about where she is now but the daughter must have realised this if she has lived in Thailand for awhile.complaining in Thailand as a farang does not get  far either

11 hours ago, micmichd said:

Disagree. 

Most Thais I know are friendly and helpful. Yes, they want (and need) Farangs' money, but they work for it. 

For sure they do. All those college girls asking  for money to pay for their college tuition. They are making over 30K online, just sitting behind their computer screen and showing some fresh. Five thousand "Friends" on Facebook with a bunch of losers salivating and jerking off over their pictures. 

19 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

As far as I can see this woman put herself in the firing line of the 'keyboard warriors'.

She decided to try to garner sympathy online but does not like the posts being made.

If you don't want your 15 minutes of fame, step away from the spotlight.

I suspect you are giving  far too much weight to her concern over the reactions of Thai visa. 

On 5/31/2019 at 3:05 AM, webfact said:

She had been paying 86,000 baht per month at Chaing Mai's Care Resort and was happy with this. But needing extra money for her and her husband's retirement in Nakorn Sri Thammarat forced her to seek cheaper options in Metro Manila.

I cannot believe she was spending over $2,700 USD (86,000) a month for care here in TH. 

Also where did she get that kind of money for 15 years! SS disability would pay maybe $1500 a month

Also seems very odd as almost all people afflicted with alzheimer do not live over 10 years.  

15 years means she likely does not speak or walk anymore and is unaware of who anyone is at this point

Good luck to her in PI.  

3 hours ago, Skallywag said:

I cannot believe she was spending over $2,700 USD (86,000) a month for care here in TH. 

Also where did she get that kind of money for 15 years! SS disability would pay maybe $1500 a month

Also seems very odd as almost all people afflicted with alzheimer do not live over 10 years.  

15 years means she likely does not speak or walk anymore and is unaware of who anyone is at this point

Good luck to her in PI.  

Funny post not

On 5/31/2019 at 6:41 AM, Bert got kinky said:

As far as I can see this woman put herself in the firing line of the 'keyboard warriors'.

She decided to try to garner sympathy online but does not like the posts being made.

If you don't want your 15 minutes of fame, step away from the spotlight.

I don't agree, to me she was putting the problem over to people should they land with the same situation, it's called awareness.

49 minutes ago, Percy P said:

I don't agree, to me she was putting the problem over to people should they land with the same situation, it's called awareness.

Actually, the issue is of interest for anybody who requires long-term care in the region and needs to consider budgetary alternatives.

14 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Good for her for sticking with helping her Mum.  Long term care with an alzheimer's patient is a tough row to hoe.  I thank her for bringing up the cost of care in the PI versus Thailand.  Something to consider

Yeah I wish them luck and no negativity put forth for their situation.

1 minute ago, Bert got kinky said:

Seconded.

And that,ladies and gentlemen,indicates the complete lack of graciousness,courtesy,civility, manners and downright lack of intelligence which is exhibited by the keyboard kapos lurking amongst the rice paddies of Thailand..

My advice is..don't.

An interesting side-story to these events is the cost of care-homes for elderly foreigners in The Philippines.  I asked Dr Google and he showed me websites of care homes for elderly foreigners where monthly charges were about 30,000, (higher if the resident required 'close' care). 

Still, it looked very competitive when compared to prices in Thailand, and possibly an affordable solution for those of use who are unmarried/have no family in Thailand.

It would seem to be that where an individual is spending substantial amounts of money on long term medical care, the additional requirements of immigration is an irritation counter-productive to Thailand hospital and care home business development. What we have discovered in this thread is that there is an alternative, namely in Philippine medical provision. Whether or not Thailand reviews its requirements remains to be seen, but in the meantime the PI offering looks worth serious consideration.

On 5/30/2019 at 11:04 PM, crazygreg44 said:

"The Atlanta native said she was not angry with Thai immigration - the family just couldn't keep their mother here when the rules changed"

. . .the Thai Immigration rules never changed.

It was the U.S. Embassy that stopped issueing "Income Affidavits" for the 86,000 THB she paid monthly for her Mum's care home. Actually the Embassy had in the meantime lied on her behalf - the payments were in no way any "income" of her Mum. She even mentioned this hard fact in her first statement, but this got snowed under in all the following comments.  

Personally I had wished for a solution offered by an Immigration Boss, because they are entitled to be lenient with some individual cases, and that sadly never happened

. . .the Thai Immigration rules never changed. The embassy stopped issuing affidavits;

They along with other embassies stopped issuing the statements due to, yup the rules changing. Previously they were never asked to confirm the veracity of the statements for income. When that happened (from Thai immigration) most if not all of the requests for retirement stays or extensions using this means were ended. So how exactly was that not the 'fault due to changing rules' of the Thai immigration?

. . .the Thai Immigration rules never changed. The embassy stopped issuing affidavits;

They along with other embassies stopped issuing the statements due to, yup the rules changing. Previously they were never asked to confirm the veracity of the statements for income. When that happened (from Thai immigration) most if not all of the requests for retirement stays or extensions using this means were ended. So how exactly was that not the 'fault due to changing rules' of the Thai immigration?
Thai immigration rules have changed.
For income based without letter the new rules are onerous.
For 800k bank method the seasoning rules have been expanded to the entire year. Onerous.
For combo method the enforcement rules are very unclear now even if accepted at all. Onerous and confusing.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived