Alternatives To Los?

jaideeguy

Having lived 14 yrs in Asia, the first 7 in the Philippines and the last 7 in Thailand, i now find myself wondering if there is a better alternative to Thailand, preferably a neighboring country, Laos, Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malasia??

this is not the same Thailand that i once knew and altho there have been some infrastructure improvements [or attempts], the powers have removed or are removing the FUN things that brought me here from the Philippines, where there is lotsa fun, but too much chaos, corruption and polution.

Needs.....

1] Easy immigration requirements for retirees

2] less corruption

3] decent infrastructure

4] less polution

5] friendly [some english speaking] locals

6] fast internet

7] friendly, beautiful, available women

8] good [affordable] medical facilities

9] rights to purchase real estate, business

or, do i just have 'the 7 yr itch' and just wanna change??

Thailand will be a hard act to follow, but i'm just wondering if the best days here are over. I could never return to the west, both for financial reasons and [real/perceived?] freedom.

Are there others out there in 'thaivisaland' thinking the same or is there an alternative to LOS???

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Needs.....

2] less corruption

3] decent infrastructure

4] less polution

6] fast internet

The points marked in red do somewhat oppose themselves. What you see as "available women" generally happens only in an environment of social inequality caused to a large extend by endemic corruption.

There is no developed country in the area with less corruption that has an environment regarding "available women" in the style of Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia or the Philippines.

If you would accept compromises in either of those points, than there are many countries available to live.

I think how you describe it,malaysia would be your best bet.Although they ask a descent proportion of money to get your visa 1500000baht i thought(available funds),but you get 10 years permit to stay plus to buy a house etc ......

Things what seem in thailand never available in our lifetime.The only reg perhaps could be they are predominantly moslim,so the woman harder available I guess......Indonesia,especially bali is also a fantastic place to stay,but I do not know the visaquiries over there.I think plenty of options to consider about.

A few hints about your financial status and age might help guide potential advisers as these things can have a big impact.

I think Malaysia is the only one close to what you're asking though.

Are the Maldives an option?

A few hints about your financial status and age might help guide potential advisers as these things can have a big impact.

I think Malaysia is the only one close to what you're asking though.

Are the Maldives an option?

the local could be a problem

I have lived in Malaysia (KL and Sarawak), Vietnam (Hanoi and Saigon), Myanmar, and Laos.

I now live in Thailand by choice and have no plans on moving on, even if Thailand continues to have the worst beer in the region!

Believe me, if you have problems here you will only find them bigger elsewhere.

Age....near 60

Financial situation........60kbhatt/mo pension

i should have mentioned that in my earlier post.

anyone know of the expat situation in Cambodia or Vietnam??

In Cambodia you can stay as long as you want just paying $ 25 per month for a business visa.

The problem is the place is much less confortable then Thailand. And you cannot even own a condo there :o .

I have lived in Malaysia (KL and Sarawak), Vietnam (Hanoi and Saigon), Myanmar, and Laos.

I now live in Thailand by choice and have no plans on moving on, even if Thailand continues to have the worst beer in the region!

Methinks his problem of being a 60 year old w##k#r in need of cheap younger women have little to do with location. :o

Edited by Johpa

Age....near 60

In Cambodia you can stay as long as you want just paying $ 25 per month for a business visa.

The problem is the place is much less confortable then Thailand. And you cannot even own a condo there :o .

You can own a condo in Cambodia, through a company set up. Just like Thailand.

Sihanoukville is Pattaya/Samuii/Phuket 10-15 years ago. Very pleasant with excellent beaches and food and the pretty Khmer and Vietnamese girls leave the Thai girls for dead.

The Khmers have far more respect for foreigners than the xenophobic Thais and their policies are encouraging . A one year biz visa with attached work permit is 10,000 bt. So if you'd like to start a small biz/hobby you can actually pot around in it without the fear of a 80,000 bt fine &/or deportation.

The infrastructure is behind Thailand but catching fast.

Vietnam is nice but a little hectic for me and they seem to have some of the Thai xenophobic traits.

Methinks his problem of being a 60 year old w##k#r in need of cheap younger women have little to do with location. :o

It was a sensible thread. Why the need to come in and start trashing someone? :D

I'd like to live in Singapore.

One Singha can there costs 3.35 S$. A Geylang chick asks 120 S$.

I guess Thailand is way cheaper, even taking into account the VISA trips costs.

I don't drink beer (and the Jack Daniels is way better in Singapore) and I'm not into hookers :o

Having lived 14 yrs in Asia, the first 7 in the Philippines and the last 7 in Thailand, i now find myself wondering if there is a better alternative to Thailand, preferably a neighboring country, Laos, Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malasia??

this is not the same Thailand that i once knew and altho there have been some infrastructure improvements [or attempts], the powers have removed or are removing the FUN things that brought me here from the Philippines, where there is lotsa fun, but too much chaos, corruption and polution.

Needs.....

2] less corruption

3] decent infrastructure

4] less polution

6] fast internet

or, do i just have 'the 7 yr itch' and just wanna change??

Thailand will be a hard act to follow, but i'm just wondering if the best days here are over. I could never return to the west, both for financial reasons and [real/perceived?] freedom.

Are there others out there in 'thaivisaland' thinking the same or is there an alternative to LOS???

The closest place to get all your "needs" is here......post-31110-1173595361_thumb.jpg Asia is not an option for any of those needs..

Age....near 60

You can own a condo in Cambodia, through a company set up. Just like Thailand.

Sihanoukville is Pattaya/Samuii/Phuket 10-15 years ago. Very pleasant with excellent beaches and food and the pretty Khmer and Vietnamese girls leave the Thai girls for dead.

The Khmers have far more respect for foreigners than the xenophobic Thais and their policies are encouraging . A one year biz visa with attached work permit is 10,000 bt. So if you'd like to start a small biz/hobby you can actually pot around in it without the fear of a 80,000 bt fine &/or deportation.

The infrastructure is behind Thailand but catching fast.

Vietnam is nice but a little hectic for me and they seem to have some of the Thai xenophobic traits.

dgoz, what your saying is very true the 1 year mulitipel entry business visa will cost US$280.00 drop your passport off at the supermarket with two pictures and pick it up 3 days later. You must first get a Business Visa on arrival.

China is a good choice also.

FYI.....I'm not into drinking beer all day and 'exploiting' young girls....seen that -done that and now into settling down. North Thailand is/was nice, but air quality sucks. And this govmt [or lack of] is going to the dogs, making me wonder how livable and retired falang friendly the future will be.

so, what are the [retirement] visa requirements for China, Vietnam, Cambodia??

FYI.....I'm not into drinking beer all day and 'exploiting' young girls....seen that -done that and now into settling down. North Thailand is/was nice, but air quality sucks. And this govmt [or lack of] is going to the dogs, making me wonder how livable and retired falang friendly the future will be.

so, what are the [retirement] visa requirements for China, Vietnam, Cambodia??

Go over to Cambodia and take a look. You will either like it or hate it. It reminds me of the Philippines about 30 years ago.

The only requirements for the business visa is US$25.00 on arrival.

Cuba is also good but maybe a bit far away for you.

How many years before Snookyville gets DSL?

They really ought to officially change the name to Snookyville. It so cool sounding.

All you have to do is google it but I do understand your a very busy man.

I dont care what they call it Snooky or what ever does it matter?

Go take a look here;http://www.citylink.com.kh/

And Here:http://www.online.com.kh/

Cheers Tony

They really ought to officially change the name to Snookyville. It so cool sounding.

Cheers Tony

Interesting, but I was under the impression that Snookyville still lacks decent internet services, including DSL. Now your link is Cambodian, but how can you tell they serve Snookyville from that?

Also, isn't it true there are no ATMS there as well? Hard to be a walking ATM without an ATM!

Regarding your RUDE google comment, thats why we have forums. Sometimes FIRST HAND HUMAN ACCOUNTS are much better than googling, OK now?

Edited by Jingthing

Cheers Tony

Interesting, but I was under the impression that Snookyville still lacks decent internet services, including DSL. Now your link is Cambodian, but how can you tell they serve Snookyville from that?

Also, isn't it true there are no ATMS there as well? Hard to be a walking ATM without an ATM!

Regarding your RUDE google comment, thats why we have forums. Sometimes FIRST HAND HUMAN ACCOUNTS are much better than googling, OK now?

Plenty of ATMs now (so the walking ones should soon follow) and the internet is no worse than Pattaya's poor excuse for internet. But at least they seem interested in moving forward. Pattaya has been established for decades and is still an infrastructure nightmare.

Most people who went to SV a couple of years ago would be surprised at how fast it's moving ahead now. (as is Vietnam, but Laos seems to be left behind for some reason)

Cheers Tony

If you think I was being rude you dont know me!!!!!!!!!!

Plenty of ATM in Cambodia has been for about 2 years and they spit out US$

You can get ADSL in most places in Cambodia even Snooky it is more expensive than Thailand but the price is coming down with new company's coming in all the time.

Cheers Tony

Great, are you specifically saying that they already have DSL that is as good or bad as Pattaya?

Well I have Maxnet here and its a nightmare.

I have only used the internet cafe's their so my experience with ISP in Cambodia is very limited.

I will put this here for the OP. Most foreign food is a bit more expensive than here local food is about the same as here. Anything to do with local labour cost is much cheaper in Cambodia. Example>> Motor bike seat taken off and recovered in new material and replaced cost including material $1.25 it all took about 45 minutes.

Everything is priced in US$ that can be a plus or minus depending on your currency.

Cheers Tony

Ok, now I'm getting some 'first hand' info and not too much BS.....Cambodia sounds like thailand 20 yrs ago, but moving ahead fast?? do they have a retirement visa?? and/or what's the scoop on owning/leasing land??

and any comments on Vietnam regarding the same??

is there any wonderful, well managed, informative website like THAIVISA for Cam or VN??

thanks

The only alternative to Thailand in my opinion is Brazil - ferget the rest of Asia. Either it's bad food (the PI) or it's too expensive and sterile (Singapore) or the people & culture are just plain boring (Malaysia)... :o

Edited by Boon Mee