Health Insurance for yearly extension in Thailand

5 hours ago, puchooay said:

It already is. The only long stay visa is an O-A. 

Those living here long term and going to immigration each year are not  on visas. They are on extension of stay.

Here we go again. It's an "extension of stay" on your ORIGINAL visa. In my case, a non-O visa. Try getting an extension without a visa. You can't. Every time I seek an extension they need to see it. See what happens when it lapses. You will need a new visa of course... so for all the annoying pedants troubling one and all with semantics. It IS a retirement visa... which is what I'll be calling it until the day I leave Thailand, thank you very much!

Anyone without any knowledge gleaned from pedants on this forum would be puzzled if they asked you what visa you were on and you told them... "I don't have a visa, I have an extension of stay". That actually sounds quite silly if you stop to think about it. Every time you conduct official business here you're asked for your visa. You cannot stay here without one. Yes, there are different types of visas for retirement, but that doesn't mean it's not a retirement visa.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tropo said:

Here we go again. It's an "extension of stay" on your ORIGINAL visa. In my case, a non-O visa. Try getting an extension without a visa. You can't. Every time I seek an extension they need to see it. See what happens when it lapses. You will need a new visa of course... so for all the annoying pedants troubling one and all with semantics. It IS a retirement visa... which is what I'll be calling it until the day I leave Thailand, thank you very much!

Anyone without any knowledge gleaned from pedants on this forum would be puzzled if they asked you what visa you were on and you told them... "I don't have a visa, I have an extension of stay". That actually sounds quite silly if you stop to think about it. Every time you conduct official business here you're asked for your visa. You cannot stay here without one. Yes, there are different types of visas for retirement, but that doesn't mean it's not a retirement visa.

Only your first sentence is correct.

Each Visa has an expiry date; once that date is reached it is expired.

Extend your stay, on the basis of marriage or retirement, and that original visa is no longer valid and it is never ‘renewed’. You have a stamp giving permission to stay. That permission is then extended each year....... if you so choose.

I do not have a visa, I apply to extend my permission to stay each year.

Only the details of that original visa get transferred to new passports.

Edited by Jip99