£ hits new low against the baht

15 hours ago, madmen said:

Good time for anybody owning property bought at much better exchange rates to sell. You don't need to make a profit on the property because you will kill it on exchange rates.

All very good in theory, but I don't think there are many people queuing up to buy properties at the moment, there are plenty of houses on the market, and still more are being built, it seems very much to be a buyers market at the moment, though I understand the Chinese may be buying the condos,

I've noticed the number of properties for rent has also been increasing where I live, and it now seems to be a renters market.

I managed to sell a house in 2017, at a small profit, I had it built ten years previously when the GBP was getting about 75 THB, I'd like to claim that it was all planned, far from it though, just sheer luck.

I certainly don't ever plan to buy again.     

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

All very good in theory, but I don't think there are many people queuing up to buy properties at the moment, there are plenty of houses on the market, and still more are being built, it seems very much to be a buyers market at the moment, though I understand the Chinese may be buying the condos,

I've noticed the number of properties for rent has also been increasing where I live, and it now seems to be a renters market.

I managed to sell a house in 2017, at a small profit, I had it built ten years previously when the GBP was getting about 75 THB, I'd like to claim that it was all planned, far from it though, just sheer luck.

I certainly don't ever plan to buy again.     

Original poster where you reply on forget that those bought in the expensive period , as even the new building craziness was not so overwhelming as last few years …., I think those with those mostly older condos better sell for price they can get easy , as it shall not improve coming years I think , better take small loss than wait for more and loose more ….as it is a buyers (but risky) market

Edited by david555

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

It's been a lot worse . I remember getting only 26. :

bandicam 2019-06-04 14-53-51-841.jpg

The euro did not existed in 1984 and is on the list , how they calculated that ?

11 hours ago, Swedenlars said:

I would think once the Brexit turmoil aka chaos is over the £ will get stronger again.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

"Once" is the operative word. I agree that the £ will get better after the turmoil is over - about 3 years after!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Swedenlars said:

I would think once the Brexit turmoil aka chaos is over the £ will get stronger again.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

Why?  Who wants a small island currency that cannot compete with manufacturers in Asia and Brexit caused London to lose profitable banking jobs to NYC, Dublin and Frankfurt. Brexit is a self made disaster. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Yes the Thai baht value is dropping like a rock. If they don,t turn it around soon they are asking for trouble. Every time it goes down i just spend less.

No No the Thai Baht is not dropping. .Its the value of foreign currency that's dropping.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JimHuaHin said:

" My wife of course does not understsnd why I have significantly less to spend!"

I am in the same situation.

Arrived 6 years ago when A$1 = 32 Baht.

Bought a new car then - about Baht 1 million = A$30,000.  The newer model of the same car still the same price here, but about A$45,000 - a 50% increase.

My partner keeps pressuring me to buy a house; but I do not have the money.  "But all the other farangs have the money" say she.

What hope is there?!?!??!

"My partner keeps pressuring me to buy a house"

That is a more worrying factor than the exchange rate problem …..:whistling:

• Like 1

Hang on a minute. Where are all those members who like to post stern warnings like "Never invest in Thailand more than you prepared to walk away from" and simply "Never invest anything in Thailand"?

If you had brought your pounds or dollars in when rates were high and invested sensibly here, you'd be laughing now.

When I emigrated from the UK to Thailand I did so because I could see more long term opportunity in a growing and dynamic part of the world than in a failing one. And so it came to pass.

$A dollar dropping like a stone from 32,parity with $US, to today 21.8 baht.You can only cut back on so much.

Thai Gov re adusts its predicted unrealistic  growth from 8% to 3 % they obviously dont understand that the inflated value of the baht is sending other countries elsewhere to trade.No mention of storing rice stocks. I bet the warehouses are full again.Vietnam amongst others must be laughing.Thai farmers bear the brunt,nothing new there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JimHuaHin said:

" My wife of course does not understsnd why I have significantly less to spend!"

Bought a new car then - about Baht 1 million = A$30,000.  The newer model of the same car still the same price here, but about A$45,000 - a 50% increase.

My partner keeps pressuring me to buy a house; but I do not have the money.  "But all the other farangs have the money" say she.

Thais understand "coming soon"

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

The penny that used to be a pound finally dropped for my Mrs today and conceded a future moving plan out of this smoke hole is shelved indefinitely

Your Mrs concedes that the value of foreign money is tanking - so plans of leaving 'this smoke hole' which I assume is Northern Thailand is 'shelved indefinitely' meaning she wants to stay in Thailand?
I'm trying to interpreted this.  Because you get less THB for your home currency, she wants to stay in Thailand, preferably in a place with PM 2.5 particulate four months out of the year?  

Humm, interesting view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

and spend in shopping malls and Chinese arranged tours, bulk eating, not smaller places, so who supports them

Chinese Tour groups are on the decline now, they've already done it. Many more independent Chinese tourists visiting. They go where they are catered for and it would seem that the clever businesses that do cater for them are booming whereas those in denial are suffering.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, JimHuaHin said:

I bought a new car for under 400,000 THB.  I'm sure my car gets me from point A to point B just like your 1,000,000 THB car.   It looks to me that neither of you understand how to economize. I'm not criticizing but just observing.  I don't try to 'keep up with the Prayuts or the Prawits" therefore I have more disposable income which I tend to save for a rainy day.  My guess is your wife needs an expensive house instead of simply buying land, putting a dwelling you can afford on the land, and then over time develop the premises as you have additional funds.  Ok. Many guys with Thai wives end up providing their wives or Gfs with status at a cost.  But screw status.  
Imho - it's unwise.  You can live a good life while economizing.  But some people can't. 

So given the same 1,000,000 THB, I could buy a car, buy some land in our village, and put a dwelling on it that could be modified and expanded in the future.  

"if there is a will, there a way."  But immensely more difficult for those who need 'stuff' and status.  

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

The € is pretty steady

The UK currency is going down because of the Brexit fiasco.. the prospect of a 'no deal' and a looming election...  The Bt is strong because it is seen a safe haven with positive although low interest rates and a stable  (so far economy).. this has brought in huge inflows of foreign currency ..keeping the Bt high.. Unless the Thai economy takes a serious hit with exports it will remain this way.. The UK needs to get Brexit solved and an election out of the way to get market stability and stability with its currency.  This link explains it a bit better.. https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/eur/11431-record-lows-pound-to-euro-exchange-rate-forecast/amp?fbclid=IwAR0r-_Hv4CULlZ9lDGZ60bDTlOA0DbF97iU4Frumg7dXwe8_9CpprZhVV1o

14 minutes ago, connda said:

I bought a new car for under 400,000 THB.  I'm sure my car gets me from point A to point B just like your 1,000,000 THB car. 

I bought a secondhand scooter for 13k, I'm sure it gets me from A to B as well as your car, and uses less fuel as well.

If the pound gets to 35bht, the gf will be history, essentially doubling my 'pound' income.

And I'll be OK again until it dips below 25bht to the pound. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I bought a secondhand scooter for 13k, I'm sure it gets me from A to B as well as your car, and uses less fuel as well.

If the pound gets to 35bht, the gf will be history, essentially doubling my 'pound' income.

Yeah but on a 500 km journey on your scooter your bum will be sore going from A to B.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Dude, send  me pictures of you and the girl-friend driving 500 km cross-country on a vacation on that 13k THB scooter.  <laughs>  Personally, my 'boyz' go numb after about 35 km.  I like the car much better!  :thumbsup:
download.jpg.75d96015174e6eb772696db4bb18cbb0.jpg

• Haha 1

On 6/3/2019 at 10:49 PM, Swedenlars said:

Only if Brexit is cancelled. The money markets have been very clear about this for the last 3 years.

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Bus tickets are cheap.

I used to take a bus between CM and Korat every 6 weeks for work. I'd need a Rosary, St Christopher medal, and a dozen Buddhist amulets,  before I get on another Thai inter-provincial bus.  :wink: