Buying a YSS shock for Honda Forza 300

Hello,

I own a Honda Forza 300 and I will be in Thailand in July.

Anyone of you knows a good place to buy a rear YSS shock for the Forza 300 (either in BKK or Pattaya) ?

Also if someone could tell me witch is the best YSS rear shock for the Forza 300, that would be nice as it seems there are several and I am not sure witch one I should take !

Thanks ✌️

Alain

8 hours ago, passeparici said:

Also if someone could tell me witch is the best YSS rear shock for the Forza 300, that would be nice as it seems there are several and I am not sure witch one I should take !

YSS has a website with model number recommendations and a list of dealers

Go there: https://yss.co.th/applist.php and search for your bike, then you see all available options.

In general the forks only differ by the number of adjustments, more adjustment options means a higher price:

- Preload

- Rebound

- Compression

Preload is the most important adjustment if you weigh more than the average asian rider, and i think every YSS shock offers this. Second important Rebound. Compression is not really important, not even many offroad capable bikes offer compression adjustment at the shock.

Edited by jackdd

34 minutes ago, passeparici said:

It is a bit on the cheap side and for me (I am pretty light !) not very confortable

Aftermarket shocks are usually stiffer and not softer than the stock ones, so it will be less comfortable for you, especially if you are light

• Like 2

8 hours ago, passeparici said:

I know but I was wondering if you would know a good dealer.

Premier Moto Parts On Bangna Trat in Bangkok. Leaving from Sukhumvit, past the Bitec U turn and before the gas/petrol station. I found it from the website. Whether they have yours in stock? They speak English. 097-284-3396. I bought a Shark Helmet there. So all info is on the back of my guarantee card. 

11 hours ago, passeparici said:

It is a bit on the cheap side and for me (I am pretty light !) not very comfortable

Less expensive to get suspension oil changed to a lighter one but if you don't mine the cost change em, adjustable Ohlins is good kit for the money.

i bought a set of YSS from local accessory shop. they there certainly better than standard and i am not "light"

i cannot remember if there were different options/models of shock available.

PM me if you want more details or the name of a decent shop.

The OEM shocks that come with Forza has 5 adjustments, it's in the middle position by default,  have you played and changed positions to see if it makes it any better...!?

If not I would do that first before spending thousands on another set of shocks with no guarantee it can help you (as a light person)...

On 6/4/2019 at 1:33 AM, jackdd said:

Go there: https://yss.co.th/applist.php and search for your bike, then you see all available options.

In general the forks only differ by the number of adjustments, more adjustment options means a higher price:

- Preload

- Rebound

- Compression

Preload is the most important adjustment if you weigh more than the average asian rider, and i think every YSS shock offers this. Second important Rebound. Compression is not really important, not even many offroad capable bikes offer compression adjustment at the shock.

Spring rate and compression will be the main factors for comfort. Rebound and Preload will have less effect. The oil (viscosity) in a shock will determine the compression to some degree and is a relatively cheap thing to change.

It's not easy to find a good shock for comfort, the more expensive ones from e.g. Ohlins will be usually for race usage so naturally stiffer. But a stiffer shock can actually be more comfortable in some cases because it reacts better to bumps. The stock shock on my Ducati Scrambler for example is not very stiff but still quite uncomfortable.

@op: Luckily YSS has various shocks on offer and also can supply a spring with the correct rate for a given riders weight. I would suggest to contact YSS directly, tell them the exact bike model, your weight (and if you have a pillion) and mention that comfort is your prime objective. They will recommend the right shock and spring rate. If you want one with configurable compression setting... you have to decide if that's worth it. A good quality shock with right spring wont really need much adjustment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Could it be the spring (not the shock) that is too stiff for a light rider?

The shock contains a spring. Do you mean the compression setup of the shock? Valves and oil?

On 6/14/2019 at 11:01 PM, eisfeld said:

Spring rate and compression will be the main factors for comfort. Rebound and Preload will have less effect. The oil (viscosity) in a shock will determine the compression to some degree and is a relatively cheap thing to change.

It's not easy to find a good shock for comfort, the more expensive ones from e.g. Ohlins will be usually for race usage so naturally stiffer. But a stiffer shock can actually be more comfortable in some cases because it reacts better to bumps. The stock shock on my Ducati Scrambler for example is not very stiff but still quite uncomfortable.

@op: Luckily YSS has various shocks on offer and also can supply a spring with the correct rate for a given riders weight. I would suggest to contact YSS directly, tell them the exact bike model, your weight (and if you have a pillion) and mention that comfort is your prime objective. They will recommend the right shock and spring rate. If you want one with configurable compression setting... you have to decide if that's worth it. A good quality shock with right spring wont really need much adjustment.

Thanks, I think I will contact YSS !

On 6/4/2019 at 8:33 AM, jackdd said:

- Preload

- Rebound

- Compression

The use of preload is actually a little different than what you have described. Preload's only purpose is to set static sag. All suspension needs to have some sag. This is to allow for the suspension to extend when you ride through a hole. By doing this the tyre stays in contact with the surface.

Preload cannot assist with anything else. If the static sag cannot be set accurately with preload, it means the spring's rate is incorrect and the correct spring will need to be installed. Spring rate refers to the amount of force required to compress the spring a certain distance.

On 6/4/2019 at 8:19 AM, VocalNeal said:

YSS has a website with model number recommendations and a list of dealers

When you buy a shock you will need to let store know how much you weigh + riding gear + any usual luggage you carry. If you ride 2 up a lot you need to find a compromise. If you ride faster then a little stiffer is generally better.

You can also book at YSS direct and have them install. If you go down that path they will fit up the correct spring for you and set preload for you in the workshop.

They have installed front and rear suspension on both my larger motorcycles over here and have done a stellar job and the prices were comparable to a parts shop.

12 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

You can also book at YSS direct and have them install. If you go down that path they will fit up the correct spring for you and set preload for you in the workshop.

They have installed front and rear suspension on both my larger motorcycles over here and have done a stellar job and the prices were comparable to a parts shop.

They do that in BKK ?

On 6/21/2019 at 9:52 PM, passeparici said:

They do that in BKK ?

The YSS factory is in near Samut Prakhan. They have a full workshop installation facility on site. And a great waiting room setup, too. A pleasure to deal with.

On 6/4/2019 at 10:54 PM, jackdd said:

Aftermarket shocks are usually stiffer and not softer than the stock ones, so it will be less comfortable for you, especially if you are light

OP should eat more and the problem is solved. Innit? 

Or have a look here: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=YSS+shock+for+Honda+Forza+300&_sacat=0