Correcting half-fake news: immigration

I provided one figure: 40,000 foreigners on retirement visas in Pattaya alone. 

In the early 2000s, the number was closer to 40...

You also have your eyes to actually see, providing that you have been here long enough. 

Long lines at immigration offices or consulates are a relatively new thing. 

How did this happen if the number of applicants did not increase, a lot? 

Because at that time where other visa option available?
These long lines are only at the consulates in the region
Immigration offices now forces the applicants to do this and that

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

These requirement were there 15 years ago... they were not created last year. 

I had a non B visa and a work permit in the early 2000s...the paperwork and the process (5 month long) was mindboggling... but at least I didn't have to go through long lines to reach the desk of an officer. 

But requirements never had been enforced like today

29 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

At least my wife can get PR in Australia and I get squat here in Thailand. Last time I did a tourist visa for my wife, it took me only four hours to complete. 

Yup..

Write the topic off to..'A Confederacy of Dunces.'

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

Many people are convinced that making bold statements are a form of proof, and if you provide facts, they simply dismiss them as inaccurate. 

You do realize that you are making bold statements with scant proof behind the shield of an avatar, or is that the sound of irony whooshing over your head? And when we dismiss your's as inaccurate you get all huffy. What's up with that?

The 40,000 retirement visas in Pattaya was front page news in the local newspapers some years ago, which is how I learned about it. 

So, finally, a bedrock figure. "Some years ago" is what? Last year? Two years ago? Five years ago?

An "exponential" (pretty sure you don't understand that term) linear rise would mean that figure is what, 58,564 today?  More? Less? Anyone passing away, leaving the country?

Just taking the 40,000 figure would equate to ~ 175 renewals each day; that seems high to me?

And since I was amazed by that number, I had it confirmed by an acquaintance of mine who works at Jomtien immigration. 

Ah, the proverbial "acquaintance", the ever-reliable source. You forgot to say they are high-ranking.

What figure did your acquaintance confirm? And when?

Understanding that if they confirmed the 40,000 figure last week, then there hasn't been an increase in "Some years".

But never mind, there are those who know better, just because they say so... 

Yes, the last argument of the loser, nevermind. Accusing non-believers of heresy, while sheepishly failing to produce even an iota of data to support one's "opinion", is not very flattering. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

At least my wife can get PR in Australia and I get squat here in Thailand. Last time I did a tourist visa for my wife, it took me only four hours to complete. 

Granted, but at what price? Way more than it costs you here.

From July Australian partner visas require a separate application from the sponsor, which will add a year to the process and cost $$$

My kids want me to move to Aus, the visa costs $50k and it will take 6-8 years to process...

1 minute ago, ParadiseLost said:

Granted, but at what price? Way more than it costs you here.

From July Australian partner visas require a separate application from the sponsor, which will add a year to the process and cost $$$

My kids want me to move to Aus, the visa costs $50k and it will take 6-8 years to process...

Rubbish.

Write the topic off to 'A confederacy of Dunces'

If Australia is keeping the riff raff out-never forget the immortal slogan.."Good guys in-bad guys out.." propagated by the Thai..something or another..

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

Immigration could substantially reduce their workload by abolishing the 90 day physical appearance (mine doesn't do online) and granting PR to retired/married/employed residents after three trouble-free years in the Kingdom.

A further incentive would be to include a  'no drink-driving' clause to deter the many that indulge in the practice when they wouldn't dare do it at home.

a further incentive to not drinking and driving would be an automatic jail sentence followed by a life time ban..

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jackdd said:

More than you think

Well since 2009, visiting Immigration 4 times per year they only got 2,000 baht off me once.

I missed a 90 day report once and got fined for it. I don't blame Immigration for what definitely my own fault.

17 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

7K gets my wife here. Peanuts compared for what she gets in return. Spoke to immigration recently in OZ. New screening may add on 6-8 weeks. I have looked at all the paperwork and it is simple to do. Nothing hard about it at all.

The waiting period for parent visas is currently between six to 30 years. This is likely to increase with those on retiree visas now being allocated a proportion of these visas.

The new legislation will also negatively impact the time it will take to process the Partner Visa application, which is already in excess of 20 months. It may also be more expensive for couples to lodge a Partner Visa application under the new legislation, as there are now two applications that must be processed, in order to receive Partner Visa approval.

Simple eh?

3 hours ago, LongTang said:

I'm sorry, but early 2017('2 entry limit' introduction) is not something i consider many many years to say the least..

The fight against multiple border runs started long before that, initiated by Thaksin who reduced the number of days allowed to 15, thus making it very difficult to stay long term with such a system. 

The 15 days were maintained long after Thaksin had left power in 2006, but there was indeed a short period afterwards, during which unlimited 30 days visa runs were reinstated. 

3 hours ago, wobalt said:

But requirements never had been enforced like today

When you get 3 visitors per day, you tend to relax, but when you get 300, you tend to be more strict... this is true everywhere... 

Small numbers don't raise suspicions as big numbers do... 

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

You do realize that you are making bold statements with scant proof behind the shield of an avatar, or is that the sound of irony whooshing over your head? And when we dismiss your's as inaccurate you get all huffy. What's up with that?

So, finally, a bedrock figure. "Some years ago" is what? Last year? Two years ago? Five years ago?

An "exponential" (pretty sure you don't understand that term) linear rise would mean that figure is what, 58,564 today?  More? Less? Anyone passing away, leaving the country?

Just taking the 40,000 figure would equate to ~ 175 renewals each day; that seems high to me?

Ah, the proverbial "acquaintance", the ever-reliable source. You forgot to say they are high-ranking.

What figure did your acquaintance confirm? And when?

Understanding that if they confirmed the 40,000 figure last week, then there hasn't been an increase in "Some years".

Yes, the last argument of the loser, nevermind. Accusing non-believers of heresy, while sheepishly failing to produce even an iota of data to support one's "opinion", is not very flattering. 

The usual intellectual/mathematician/know it all bombasting on the internet... 

While you reject my observations, you don't bring any contradictory informations or facts. 

Have you noticed a reduction of visa applicants over the years at your immigration office? 

Were you living here in 2000 and are you able to make comparisons between situations that you lived through, rather than read about? 

Bring us your experience and facts rather than pontificating and being condescendent... 

• Haha 1

The OP seems quite happy with being told what to do with his own money, if he's on an extension. Now you just have to keep at least 400k tied up until you leave or die, not something to brush off as no changes

Edited by Orton Rd