Democrats ask Trump to rethink U.S. Independence Day speech as his plans proceed apace

webfact

Democrats ask Trump to rethink U.S. Independence Day speech as his plans proceed apace

By Susan Cornwell

2019-06-06T220246Z_1_LYNXNPEF551WZ_RTROPTP_4_DDAY-ANNIVERSARY-USA-TRUMP-MACRON.JPG

FILE PHOTO - U.S President Donald Trump delivers a speech during the commemoration ceremony for the 75th anniversary of D-Day at the American cemetery of Colleville-sur-Mer in Normandy, France, June 6, 2019. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democrats in the U.S. Congress have asked President Donald Trump to reconsider plans for a speech at the Lincoln Memorial during annual Independence Day celebrations, saying it could turn a traditionally non-partisan event into a campaign rally.

Trump, a Republican, announced on Twitter in February that he would host an event including fireworks on the Fourth of July holiday in Washington and include "an address by your favourite President, me!"

But the Democrats wrote to Trump on Thursday asking him to consider "an earlier time or alternative location for your remarks." They said they wanted to preserve the tradition of a large, apolitical gathering on Washington's National Mall, a landscaped park between the Lincoln Memorial and the U.S. Capitol.

Asked about the concerns expressed in the letter, a White House spokesman said plans for the holiday continued apace.

"President Trump loves America and wants to help all Americans celebrate our Nation’s Independence on July 4. The White House, along with the National Park Service and the Department of Interior, continue to make preparations for the day’s activities," White House spokesman Judd Deere said.

The day-long Independence Day celebration, which usually concludes with a concert of patriotic music at the foot of the U.S. Capitol and a fireworks display, commemorates the Declaration of Independence from Britain by thirteen American colonies in 1776.

The celebration "routinely brings tens of thousands of visitors to our nation's capital to join in celebration of America's founding," said the letter to Trump from House of Representatives Majority Leader Steny Hoyer and two other Democrats.

"It is therefore, unfortunate that you are considering a conflicting event, which could create the appearance of a televised, partisan campaign rally on the Mall at public expense," the letter said.

It said that Trump's plans to attend would add "substantial" costs, and the needed security could severely inhibit access to the celebration for visitors.

Hoyer, Representative Raul Grijalva, chairman of the House committee on natural resources and Representative Betty McCollum, chairwoman of the appropriations subcommittee on the interior department, signed the letter.

Trump has staged rallies with his supporters throughout his presidency, even though he will not formally announce his bid for re-election in 2020 until June 18. The rallies often feature attacks on Democratic leaders in Congress, former President Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton, whom he defeated in the 2016 election.

Trump, who is at odds with Congress over various Democratic-led investigations of him and his turbulent presidency, also wanted to stage a military parade in Washington last November, but cancelled it because of high costs.

(Reporting by Susan Cornwell; additional reporting by Roberta Rampton; editing by Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-07
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wayned said:

He will never cancel the speech.  Look at the huge number of people that normally go to the center of DC to watch the 4th of July festivities.

And they'll all be pissed off at the closure of the space around the reflecting pool at the Lincoln Memorial by the secret service.

5 hours ago, Tug said:

Just Donald thinking the Fourth of July is about him lol could they just keep him at the adult day care facility so he doesent ruin the fourth for everybody?

Or the Democrats wanting to "keep it apolitical" and only allow Democrats!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

While I'd imagine that this moron is still someone's favorite president, as per his tweet, why listen to his address when you can follow his inane ramblings on Twitter every single day? Isn't that enough?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, wayned said:

He will never cancel the speech.  Look at the huge number of people that normally go to the center of DC to watch the 4th of July festivities.  They won't stay away because they don't like Trump and he will turn it into a "campaign rally" and claim that this was the biggest ever rally that any President ever had and his base will eat it all up!

It's called a captive audience...

• Like 1

I am deeply offended that this toxic demagogue white nationalist president is hijacking the grand tradition of NONPARTISAN Washington DC 4th of July celebrations!

All decent Americans should be against this.

BTW, I predict if he goes ahead there may be violent clashes between his fans and his opposition. Over 90 percent of Washington DC residents oppose this president. I think he probably wants there to be violence. He can spin that with his Fox propaganda machine.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, dcutman said:

The rallies often feature attacks on Democratic leaders in Congress, former President Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton, whom he defeated in the 2016 election.

Attacking the very people that daily call him treasonous and a criminal, and the two that conspired to fuel a Russian collusion narrative by unleashing the FBI,CIA and DNI on his campaign.

GEE go figure.

You, and Boon Mee and similar ilk (although I am betting Boon Mee is a troll as I have difficulty believing anyone could be that stupid) allow your belief to override facts, emotion to control reason. Now... that am thinking I should gather a group together promoting such behaviour. I could maybe call it ‘religion’ ...oh wait......

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

It's called a captive audience...

I can’t wait for the day he has a truly captive audience. The ones with him behind bars. Not sure how the trumpsters will deal with the fact that (it seems) at his behest he ‘stole’ hundreds of millions from America in tax evasion alone. The acceptance of other accusations and fairly clear evidence of nefarious wrongdoings have been ok it seems. Wonder about this one?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Swagman said:

I can’t wait for the day he has a truly captive audience. The ones with him behind bars. Not sure how the trumpsters will deal with the fact that (it seems) at his behest he ‘stole’ hundreds of millions from America in tax evasion alone. The acceptance of other accusations and fairly clear evidence of nefarious wrongdoings have been ok it seems. Wonder about this one?

His days are numbered...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Basil B said:

His days are numbered...

As far as his days in office, nobody knows. It's more than possible that he could win a second term. He could do that even with only 40 percent of the vote. Horrible to consider, but a real threat.

9 hours ago, dcutman said:

The rallies often feature attacks on Democratic leaders in Congress, former President Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton, whom he defeated in the 2016 election.

Attacking the very people that daily call him treasonous and a criminal, and the two that conspired to fuel a Russian collusion narrative by unleashing the FBI,CIA and DNI on his campaign.

GEE go figure.

What complete and utter nonsense. Please give one instance where President Obama ever referred to Trump as Treasonous. You may also need to rethink your collusion narrative, it was instigated by Republicans with a republican special prosecutor. Please stop spewing fake news.

• Like 1

Loos like the dems are already planning to protest independence.
That's what he's setting up. There will be protests. There may be violence. Then the Fox "trump" disinformation gaslighting express will paint people not fawning over the emperor with ugly clothes as anti-American.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Wow,  I guess hyperbole really is your thing. But I do realise that when someone tries to defend the indefensible it's very hard to avoid.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Do you understand that since 1951 there has not been a President, Republican or Democrat, speechifying at this event? If that's not the case, can you share with us the true history of the event?

• Like 1