SURVEY: Would you recommend Thailand as a retirement destination?

Scott

SURVEY: Would you recommend Thailand as a retirement destination?  

351 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, whiteman said:

Stickman latest message in print says no to Thailand as a retirement place but then again he does not have lots of money till his parents die. What would one expect as a ex teacher in Thailand for most of his working life here. Money talks

He was spending 100k a month on living expenses, does not sound like somebody with no money to me

1 minute ago, JaiLai said:

I’m curious to what people estimate a budget for a pension to retire here is, is that ok?

It’s not a demand, it’s an open forum to gain knowledge / share info etc, you’re the one that appears hostile, not me.

How many agents have you tried?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Stop the gaslighting.

Yes you made a bizarre accusation to me that I haven't provided you with that information as if it's my job to react to every off the wall demand from every member here. 

I have never approached an agent and hope that I never will.

I would use legitimate immigration agents and lawyers in other countries as long as their services were legit. I don't consider FAKING bank account monies to be legit in any way. 

I would hesitate to recommend it as a holiday destination these days. An old mate came here earlier this year with his family, he's a professor at Oxford University in the UK, so hardly an idiot. As soon as he landed he was hit on to pay the 'tax' on the pick up and one day tour of Bkk he had booked and paid for- 1000 baht. As VAT is 7% it was either a scam or a very expensive and oddly priced tour. He will not be back. I explained the immigration rigmarole we have to go through, he could hardly believe people put up with it.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1

Stop the gaslighting.

Yes you made a bizarre accusation to me that I haven't provided you with that information as if it's my job to react to every off the wall demand from every member here. 

I have never approached an agent and hope that I never will.

I would use legitimate immigration agents and lawyers in other countries as long as their services were legit. I don't consider FAKING bank account monies to be legit in any way. 

Ok, because it looks like you’re struggling I’ll help you out, baby steps look like they’re required for you.

I think I’d need 100-120k thai baht per month here to live a comfortable retirement here.

That would be me and my wife with no debt.

Here we go now, what do you think would be a comfortable monthly budget for retirement here? Can you manage that?

Ok, because it looks like you’re struggling I’ll help you out, baby steps look like they’re required for you.

I think I’d need 100-120k thai baht per month here to live a comfortable retirement here.

That would be me and my wife with no debt.

Here we go now, what do you think would be a comfortable monthly budget for retirement here? Can you manage that?

I never said I was struggling affording to live here.
That's your trip in your head.
My issue is with IMMIGRATION enforcement policies and the general way we're being treated here.
I just wouldn't recommend it to new people.
There are other options!

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

I never said I was struggling affording to live here.
That's your trip in your head.
My issue is with IMMIGRATION enforcement policies and the general way we're being treated here.
I just wouldn't recommend it to new people.
There are other options!

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Where do I say you’re struggling?

Immigration everywhere in the world is a minefield, nothing new there... just have to deal with it OR leave!!!

There are quite a number who declared false affidavits in the past that will end on 1 July. 

So the exodus will only start from that date provided they haven't applied for other visas.

It's time to go to Philippines or Vietnam or Laos for those who are not tied up in Thailand. 

Tied up meaning you bought a property here, have a Thai wife or Thai kid in Thailand.

Edited by EricTh

11 minutes ago, EricTh said:

There are quite a number who declared false affidavits in the past that will end on 1 July. 

So the exodus will only start from that date provided they haven't applied for other visas.

It's time to go to Philippines or Vietnam or Laos for those who are not tied up in Thailand. 

Tied up meaning you bought a property here, have a Thai wife or Thai kid in Thailand.

It's a false narrative that the only people that have issues with the immigration changes are people that filed false affidavits in the past.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Where do I say you’re struggling?

Immigration everywhere in the world is a minefield, nothing new there... just have to deal with it OR leave!!!

Thailand offers no path to permanent residency based on retirement. Many other countries in the word do. I'm suggesting that people look ahead to their future and discount Thailand's current offer as SUBSTANDARD. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

Thailand offers no path to permanent residency based on retirement. Many other countries in the word do. I'm suggesting that people look ahead to their future and discount Thailand's current offer as SUBSTANDARD. 

If you're so upset about not getting PR here in Thailand why don't you leave to one of these other many countries that do?

I've voted Thailand was a great place which is also true.

Neither in Pattaya nor in Bangkok is it worth to live. Even Isaan has changed a lot and foreigners are everywhere.

I truly believe that too many criminal foreigners have made the country to a place that's not a good one anymore to settle down.

Farang is a bad name, no matter how loud somebody's saying the word. Pedoes and other criminals from Japanese to Russian mafia made it to their paradize. 

The Junta gave it the rest, it's not worth to move to Thailand anymore.

Thailand was 17 years ago, a totally different and much cheaper country where people were happy to talk to a foreigner.

These days even youngsters look down at you. Let's put it this way, if you'd like to be seen as a walking ATM machine, please move to Thailand. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

If you're so upset about not getting PR here in Thailand why don't you leave to one of these other many countries that do?

Because I'm heavily invested here already. 

That's why I'm suggesting to potential new retired expats, and very strongly so --

-- Consider other nations that have better offers, will treat you better, won't make you comply with onerous rules such as endless address reporting, etc. (and often with LOWER financial requirements than Thailand, including places in Europe)

-- Place a higher priority on a path to permanent residence

-- Consider health insurance in the long run, you're not getting any younger, some nations offer buy in to their national health plan

-- If you do insist on moving here, don't buy and don't marry, you are here on a SHORT LEASH, your status doesn't improve whether you've been here one day or 30 years.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, EricTh said:

A bit challenging to go back to a European country after 17 years you've got nothing more in common with as the language they speak. 

And to make it even more difficult, you can't just take your family to this country. First, you need to have a good income, the family has to pass language tests and and and. 

Times are changing and a new start is almost impossible for most of us who are here for so long. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Because I'm heavily invested here already. 

That's why I'm suggesting to new potential new retired expats, and very strongly so --

-- Consider other nations that have better offers, will treat you better, won't make you comply with onerous rules such as endless address reporting, etc. 

-- Place a higher priority on a path to permanent residence

-- Consider health insurance in the long run, some nations offer buy in to their national health plan

-- If you do move here, don't buy and don't marry, you are here on a SHORT LEASH, your status doesn't improve whether you've been here one day or 30 years.

If you're so heavily invested here and have no intention to move why do you have another EPIC thread about all LATAM options? What's the point?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JaiLai said:

If you're so heavily invested here and have no intention to move why do you have another EPIC thread about all LATAM options? What's the point?

I never said NO intention. Again that's your trip in your mind. I do realize it would be very hard to do though. 

Look up the word CONSIDERING. Look up the concept PLAN B.

Cheers. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

It's a false narrative that the only people that have issues with the immigration changes are people that filed false affidavits in the past.

It's Pretty logical they make up the majority. Nothing false about that and hard to believe others with the $$$ are supporting their false affidavit "brothers" by making a stance and leaving as well. If they leave its just the normal grass is greener goggles on, nothing wrong with that either.

• Like 1

It's brilliant I have retired in my mid 30's, and generally spend half the year here. You need to embrace the culture, speak the language, understand the quirks and have Thai friends not just female friends. 

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Girls and beer are too expensive.

17 hours ago, JaiLai said:

I thought you got your girls for free coz you're a 'stud'? - obviously not....

you got BritMan confused with me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, madmen said:

It's Pretty logical they make up the majority. Nothing false about that and hard to believe others with the $$$ are supporting their false affidavit "brothers" by making a stance and leaving as well. If they leave its just the normal grass is greener goggles on, nothing wrong with that either.

How do you know that? Getting hard data on who has been making false affidavits is nigh impossible, because who is going to admit it without the shield of anonymity?

You may be right. However, it might be as low as 10%, which is a long way from a majority.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 9:02 AM, JaiLai said:

Why not?

23 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Things that appeal to me are:

1. I pay no tax here ( i work outside thailand )

2. Releatively safe

3. Been here too long and can't be arsed re-locating - where too?

4. I like the weather, especially if you have digs for example in North for winter / coast for summer etc. 

5. BKK has everything available you could ever need.

6. Nightlife is superb if you know where to go, albiet can get pricey.

7. Food is pretty good and avaialble all the time everywhere you go.

8. I pay no tax here.

9. It's easy to get to other SEA countries for a jolly, flying or by land.

10. I can build anything on my land without any sort of planning permission etc.

11. Nobody bothers me coz i mind my own business.

12. There's great medical facilities, albiet pricey.

13. If i wanted to i could root a different 20 year old girl ( or boy ) everynight of the week.

14. I pay no tax here.

All the stuff i hate ( and there's a fai bit )  i just try to ignore....

And how do you have land here you my land ?

10. I can build anything on my land without any sort of planning permission etc.

Putting aside the discussion about 'your' land, where on earth did you get the idea that you can build anything on 'your' land without any sort of planning permission?

Total rubbish comment.  Although many of the planning regulations are more lax than in western countries, I'd love to see what happens if you go ahead and build on 'your' land without getting permission from your local OrBorTor office ????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1