SURVEY: Would you recommend Thailand as a retirement destination?

Scott

SURVEY: Would you recommend Thailand as a retirement destination?  

351 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Many wealthy people like it.

Typical retirement targets for wealthier expats include such places as --

Monaco 

Australia

New Zealand

France

I am not wealthy I live on the pension and I live in Perth now and I am very happy

most things are free for me or very cheap pension is about AUD 1065 per fortnight

medicare free, medication dirt cheap, rent only AUD 240 per week food about 80

per fortnight electricity about 80-90 for 2 months I paid more in Thailand

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

I understand the meaning of all the words you've highlighted.

How would you define 'weathly'? what would the amount be THB you'd consider p.a. to have a comfortable retirement here?

How do you know that wealthy people are NOT going to be interested in Thailand, where's your info coming from or are you just making it up again?

I am not going to be further baited by you. I expressed my opinions. MOVE ON. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Jingthing said:

I am not going to be further baited by you. I expressed my opinions. MOVE ON. 

You're funny, as soon as someone disputes something you say you runaway.

I'd imagine there are many many members on here who beleive nothing you write than what you would like to believe. 

From what i've seen most of your suggestions / opinions are based on internet research and nothing else ( with the exception of baht bus protocol and T21 food court - lol )

Bye bye, have a great day.

• Haha 2

Meh, always adds "commentary" rationale to response options, so you want to say "no" but not for the reason he adds on.  It's more about him broadcasting his own thoughts, rather than any real interest in what others think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

You're funny, as soon as someone disputes something you say you runaway.

I'd imagine there are many many members on here who beleive nothing you write than what you would like to believe. 

From what i've seen most of your suggestions / opinions are based on internet research and nothing else ( with the exception of baht bus protocol and T21 food court - lol )

Bye bye, have a great day.

You don't fool me for one second. 

When you go on attack towards me, it has nothing to do with the topics.

It's about your obsession with attacking me. Been there, done that, seen that too many times. Not playing. Find someone else to bother. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Meh, always adds "commentary" rationale to response options, so you want to say "no" but not for the reason he adds on.  It's more about him broadcasting his own thoughts, rather than any real interest in what others think. 

Designing polls is harder than you think.

No choice will be perfect but the idea is to choose the CLOSEST choice to what you actually feel.

So for example I chose the one with the most votes even though it's not an exact fit with my opinions. You can post about your specific opinions if you like as well as voting.

No, Thailand was a great place, but too many problems now.

Before a few of us were let loose on Indonesian students, we were required to attend a 4-week university course in Java, on 1) culture, 2) traditions and religion, 3) language.   In that order.
We soon learned that culture and tradition were much more important.  The language aspect was easier to learn than Thai, as we could actually read it!
It certainly helped us assimilate, and similar training for expats would go a long way in Thailand, although Thais are not so touchy about what they eat, or how they eat (left-handed was definitely out in Indonesia!).  
I have often wondered if there is a book on "introduction to Thailand".  In Jakarta, there was an excellent handbook produced by the American Women's Guild, including photos of fruit and veggies, with local names.  It made shopping at the markets so much easier.
Exactly. Good afternoon from Indonesia!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, mike787 said:

Agreed!  NO WAY!  Why?  because Thailand is too risky.  Coming here with money means you are more vulnerable = can lose more.  Plus, too many other options.  Remember: Price is what you pay, Value is what you get.  Thailand does not deliver value for price, especially when considering other available options.  If one has lots of cash, one has even more  OPTIONS.  Remember: CASH is KING = Options in life!  

There are a number of westerners here with money, a lot of money. They/we tend to keep a low profile, and tend to be very happy here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, connda said:

No sense of any humanitarianism at all as we recently watched a 77 year old Alzheimer's patient forced out of the country because she could no longer meet the newly changed Retirement Visa rules - but worse imho was that she has a serious Medical Condition - Alzheimer's

How much thought did you put into writing that..none? The woman DOES NOT have 800k or an income. If the daughter gets fed up and walks or passes away what then? a 77 year old living on the streets or ending up in hospital NOT paying the bill..Again !!! 

try to think please

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

There are a number of westerners here with money, a lot of money. They/we tend to keep a low profile, and tend to be very happy here.

I agree with you.  I bet there are.  Looking forward and on the majority, knowing everything I have experienced and being educated by TVF, my first answer is NO! Carefully reevaluate the ROI (return on investment).  What does the math say. Look at society, carefully reconsider from a hard line perspective how does Thai society treat foreigners, how do you feel? Look at the BIG picture, not just a few biased opinions. There are some things I like about Thailand, but not enough to stay and invest time, effort, money to stay long considering all the other global options.  

2 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Once you've been here some time the 'ripping off' stops. 

Not sure if your trying to be funny or not but I love you statement either way...absolutely hilarious. Not laughing at you, but with you by the way.  Well, after awhile it better stop.  Eventually there will be nothing to rip off...0 - 0 = 0.

5 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Thats part of the crux of the problem

I knew this Swedish guy, came over for a couple of vacations, met the 'woman of his dreams', I saw him maybe once during those vacations, the tillack was wheeling him around to visit the local farangs,  the rest of his time was spent in either Pattaya or Phuket.

Then later that year, here he is, sold up everything in Sweden lock stock and barrel, and is building his tillack the house of her dreams.

Then the whining started, all the usual, immigration, traffic chaos, police, corruption, mindless bureaucracy money in the bank, utilities turning off for days, all the usual.

Within 12 months he was packing up that container that he had shipped all his stuff over in,  and headed back to Sweden

Never burn your bridges back home until you are sure that are prepared for Thailand.

Rent, don't buy. Don't sell up at home, see how it goes for 12 months.

All that being said, it can wear down the best of us over time. I lasted a tad over a decade before I called it quits, for a multitude of reasons.

Now I enjoy my couple of months there every year, but full time again? Don't think I'm prepared for that again

How many years ago did the Swede leave?

34 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Of course... who is buying all these 10, 20, 30 or more million baht houses in Samui, Phuket, Hua Hin and other places? 

Are these people stupid? 

Plenty of foreigners are heavily invested in real estate in Thailand. 

They could retire anywhere and yet they chose Thailand. 

It doesn't mean it is the best, but that it, at least, compares favorably with the best. 

From what I can read above, no one is providing comparative facts, showing that country X is better than Thailand for retirement... it is just about tossing names and opinions around, but nothing solid upon which one could draw conclusions... 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

How many years ago did the Swede leave?

I first met Lars in late 2013. Then he came again early 2014 I think, but that was exclusively down south.

Then he showed up full time early 2015, to great fanfare, big party! 

Then I remember it was right after New Year 2016 we had his going away party, which was a much more somber affair!

It was an expensive 'vacation'

Edited by GinBoy2