UK not paying Brexit bill would be debt default, French source says

webfact

12 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Teresa May was too soft. Should have told 'em, unless we get a fair deal we're not paying. And just what could the EU do if we refused to pay?

Let you crash out without a deal, stop all payments, don’t negotiate anything until the bill is settled, sue. 

Sue us in the European Court that we would no longer recognise?

And then Brexiteers complain when they’re being called uneducated fools... ever heard of the ICJ? Or are you going to not recognize that one too?

If we crash out it will hurt the EU as much as the UK as trade is two way.

And then Brexiteers complain when they’re being called uneducated fools... don’t realize two way is not the same as equal?

Another mistake was negotiating with the French. May should have done a deal with Angela Merkel, the rest would follow her lead.... except the French of course, who would have been left out in the cold.

And then Brexiteers complain when they’re being called uneducated fools... didn’t notice that the EU requires unanimity, and that the UK never negotiated “with the French”?

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

the UK never negotiated “with the French”?

Where do you think Michel Barnier, their chief negotiator comes from?

I'll leave it to other posters to respond to your other remarks. I can't be arsed.

The EU's new commission will be a different animal when it comes to Brexit

by ignoring a string of popular votes and referenda against further EU integration.Italy’s insurgent government has settled on a hardline eurosceptic and Brexit sympathiser to be the country’s next European commissioner, a sign of stark changes to come in the political atmosphere of Brussels.

Mr Giorgetti has praised Brexit effusively in the past, congratulating the English for “giving us all a great lesson in democracy”. He has long denounced the EU as a project hostile to self-governing democracies and accused it of provoking the current revolt across Europe

https://flipboard.com/@TheTelegraph/the-eu's-new-commission-will-be-a-different-animal-when-it-comes-to-brexit/a-UQSS_ri3QB-yeAwjEHoWVg%3Aa%3A3199678-6f0cb5fb9b/co.uk

3 hours ago, aright said:

The EU's new commission will be a different animal when it comes to Brexit

by ignoring a string of popular votes and referenda against further EU integration.Italy’s insurgent government has settled on a hardline eurosceptic and Brexit sympathiser to be the country’s next European commissioner, a sign of stark changes to come in the political atmosphere of Brussels.

Mr Giorgetti has praised Brexit effusively in the past, congratulating the English for “giving us all a great lesson in democracy”. He has long denounced the EU as a project hostile to self-governing democracies and accused it of provoking the current revolt across Europe

https://flipboard.com/@TheTelegraph/the-eu's-new-commission-will-be-a-different-animal-when-it-comes-to-brexit/a-UQSS_ri3QB-yeAwjEHoWVg%3Aa%3A3199678-6f0cb5fb9b/co.uk

congratulating the English for “giving us all a great lesson in democracy”

Are you kidding …?Seeing the result of your blocked democracy and Dominic. Raab  talking to put the H.O.C. out of power ...Henry VIII is back …,compete loonies …."lesson in democracy" .:ermm:

Anyway just do whatever you like on that Island in the North Sea it is yours ...????

13 hours ago, david555 said:

Freedom looms !!:thumbsup: On the other hand ...Sturgeon is in Brussels E.U. meeting Barnier & others ...:whistling:  (no article or link available yet , only on Sky Tv news)

Oh thats excellent news. My grandma was a Scot. Maybe I can can get a Scottish passport when they leave and then I can still have my freedom of movement to spend my last years in the Med without too much paperwork.

On 6/10/2019 at 1:23 PM, the guest said:

I think this is going look very ugly for the UK !

would have been even worse if we,d have stayed in,we,ve got enough ponces and dossers of our own without importing them via"freedom of movement"

17 minutes ago, kingdong said:

would have been even worse if we,d have stayed in,we,ve got enough ponces and dossers of our own without importing them via"freedom of movement"

Yet "Michael Gove to offer three million EU nationals free British passports".

https://news.sky.com/story/michael-gove-to-offer-three-million-eu-nationals-free-british-passports-11729757

1 hour ago, david555 said:

Are you kidding …?Seeing the result of your blocked democracy and Dominic. Raab  talking to put the H.O.C. out of power ...Henry VIII is back …,compete loonies …."lesson in democracy" .:ermm:

Anyway just do whatever you like on that Island in the North Sea it is yours ...????

People believe according to their emotions. They see only what they want to see.

And that applies to everyone on every side of every argument. Rational thinking & openmindedness are rare human qualities.

8 hours ago, candide said:

Ahem. Didn't he call for United States of Europe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_of_Europe#Post_World_War_II

Churchill used the term "United States of Europe" in a speech delivered on 19 September 1946 at the University of Zurich, Switzerland.[18] In this speech given after the end of the Second World War, Churchill concluded:
We must build a kind of United States of Europe. In this way only will hundreds of millions of toilers be able to regain the simple joys and hopes which make life worth living.[19]

Churchill's was a more cautious approach ("the unionist position") to European integration than was the continental approach that was known as "the federalist position".[20] The Federalists advocated full integration with a constitution, while the Unionist United Europe Movement advocated a consultative body and the Federalists prevailed at the Congress of Europe.[20] The primary accomplishment of the Congress of Europe was the European Court of Human Rights, which predates the European Union.[21]

On 6/10/2019 at 9:13 AM, Billy The Kid said:

Turning into a new Zimbabwe springs to my mind .... ????

There appear to be millions prepared to crawl over miles of broken glass on their hands and knees to get to the UK. Never been said about Zimbabwe. Or even Rhodesia.

6 hours ago, david555 said:

What Dominic Raab proposes to do and what he can do under the constitution are 2 different things......it's called democracy and unlike the EU the politics of it are democratic.

My country is a shining example of democracy, no civil war, no public disorder just a heated debate of argument and counter argument, a process which one way or another will eventually deliver a result which will have been democratically reached. One of the drawbacks of representative democracy is it is good at rejecting what it doesn't want but much poorer at defining what it does. For democracy to work we need to have a capacity for frustration and patience (one of the reasons Americans don't understand cricket). If we don't we fall prey to the same democratic deficit we accuse  the EU of.

When the dust of Brexit settles the question Historians will be eager to address is how the EU could have been so careless, unaccommodating and so blind to democratic legitimacy as to lose and destabilise its second largest economy.

Thanks for allowing us to do what we want on our Island.

1 minute ago, aright said:

What Dominic Raab proposes to do and what he can do under the constitution are 2 different things......it's called democracy and unlike the EU the politics of it are democratic.

My country is a shining example of democracy, no civil war, no public disorder just a heated debate of argument and counter argument, a process which one way or another will eventually deliver a result which will have been democratically reached. One of the drawbacks of representative democracy is it is good at rejecting what it doesn't want but much poorer at defining what it does. For democracy to work we need to have a capacity for frustration and patience (one of the reasons Americans don't understand cricket). If we don't we fall prey to the same democratic deficit we accuse  the EU of.

When the dust of Brexit settles the question Historians will be eager to address is how the EU could have been so careless, unaccommodating and so blind to democratic legitimacy as to lose and destabilise its second largest economy.

:coffee1:

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_of_Europe#Post_World_War_II

Churchill used the term "United States of Europe" in a speech delivered on 19 September 1946 at the University of Zurich, Switzerland.[18] In this speech given after the end of the Second World War, Churchill concluded:
We must build a kind of United States of Europe. In this way only will hundreds of millions of toilers be able to regain the simple joys and hopes which make life worth living.[19]

Churchill's was a more cautious approach ("the unionist position") to European integration than was the continental approach that was known as "the federalist position".[20] The Federalists advocated full integration with a constitution, while the Unionist United Europe Movement advocated a consultative body and the Federalists prevailed at the Congress of Europe.[20] The primary accomplishment of the Congress of Europe was the European Court of Human Rights, which predates the European Union.[21]

This came up (again) a few days ago. Better to post the entire segment of this speech than just that snip.

2 hours ago, aright said:

I’m quite certain that when the dust settles that’s not the question historians will be asking.

You seem to have forgotten at least one civil war and a number of periods of public disorder.

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

This came up (again) a few days ago. Better to post the entire segment of this speech than just that snip.

No can do.

AFAIR we can only post the link and the first 3 sentences. As I posted the link any interested readers can get it from the link and those that are not interested would see a long post and I have no doubt that some posters would whine and report the post.

35 minutes ago, billd766 said:

No can do.

AFAIR we can only post the link and the first 3 sentences. As I posted the link any interested readers can get it from the link and those that are not interested would see a long post and I have no doubt that some posters would whine and report the post.

In such case I put :

more....

Under the last word of the quoted part , to let the simple narrow minded know there is more to read  :wink: 

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

No can do.

The link also only shows the short quote, which actually does not reflect the full meaning of his speech.

1 hour ago, david555 said:

In such case I put :

more....

Under the last word of the quoted part , to let the simple narrow minded know there is more to read  :wink: 

Very considerate of you.  

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m quite certain that when the dust settles that’s not the question historians will be asking.

You seem to have forgotten at least one civil war and a number of periods of public disorder.

I have forgotten nothing. 

"My country is a shining example of democracy, no civil war, no public disorder just a heated debate of argument and counter argument, a process which one way or another will eventually deliver a result which will have been democratically reached."

This refers to no civil war or disorder as a result of the frustratingly long Brexit process. 

Of course we have had civil war and public disorder in our history and historians have expressed their opinions on these matters and you are free to agree or disagree with them.

The question remains...…….

On 6/10/2019 at 3:25 AM, Cadbury said:

As it happens the UK have invested 200 billion pounds into the EU and as such have an equity in the European Union. Instead of getting a bill they should should be getting a refund for their share of the assets of the EU.

Shaft his EU pension and then I don't gove a fig for the rest - do what thou wilt....let's have the idiots driving the bus for a while bit like Speed The Movie....could be fun

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

The link also only shows the short quote, which actually does not reflect the full meaning of his speech.

You can always Google it for a different page to get a different quote but you will still end up with the same problem of the link and the first 3 sentences.

You should know that by now.

18 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Sorry wrong post.

19 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Shaft his EU pension and then I don't gove a fig for the rest - do what thou wilt....let's have the idiots driving the bus for a while bit like Speed The Movie....could be fun

Why don't we shaft your pension?

You cannot have one rule for one person and a different rule for others.

That shows double standards and I am sure you would not wish to be accused of that.

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Why don't we shaft your pension?

You cannot have one rule for one person and a different rule for others.

That shows double standards and I am sure you would not wish to be accused of that.

oh and while we're at it take away the German passports for the kids - just to be spiteful. 

On 6/10/2019 at 7:44 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

Tell that to all the expats here remitting their living experience money from the UK.

What is it ฿39/£ and only going in one direction.

Down , and down more .

Tell that to all the Brit expats, who have chosen to leave the UK. aka aliens.

Actually , i still vote in UK elections, why ?.

Votes in the UK election, should be be for UK residents , only.

Archived