UK not paying Brexit bill would be debt default, French source says

webfact

14 minutes ago, david555 said:

Are you not doing the same … but in the direction of the E.U. ? seems like a kettle is blaming the cooking pot he is black under .

any wording can be just bounced back to you what you are accusing me of, I know you try make me mute ….. hopeless even to think that 

The EU is not a country, it is an entity. A corrupt one at that. so no it is not the same. The EU once again is not what the UK people voted for in 1975 regardless of the lies. So again no not the same. I am not against people of any country unlike you constantly demonising and ridiculing the UK people.

As for the word mute it must be a translation difference as I haven't a clue what you are on about.

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, nontabury said:

It’s not going to happen, but some would say that for food to be rationed in the U.K. it might not be a bad thing. As the country is in an obesity crisis.

And as we will be able to source food supplies from the whole world at better prices, perhaps you are correct, there is one downside to Brexit.

Like this was part of the Leave Campaign. You've all gone mad - let's smash the pound and see whose the poorest ? For a laugh. Boris will be fun .  Oh and sod the British farmers don't remember Leave mentioning that. Bring on chlorinated chicken - yummy. 

20 minutes ago, wayned said:

Boris Johnson once said:

"My chances of being PM are about as good as the chances of finding Elvis on Mars, or my being reincarnated as an olive".

Looking for Elvis is now the primary mission of Branson's mission to mars and make sure that the next olive you get in your martini isn't hairyi

My chances of being PM are about as good as the chances of finding Elvis on Mars, or my being reincarnated as an olive.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/boris_johnson_182269
My chances of being PM are about as good as the chances of finding Elvis on Mars, or my being reincarnated as an olive.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/boris_johnson_182269

So that smashers all those on her talking nonsense saying all he cares about is being PM. Any little bit to tray and discredit him seems to be the norm. I guess people know that he will take the UK out of the EU as the democratic referendum result. Some just don't like democracy.

8 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The EU is not a country, it is an entity. A corrupt one at that. so no it is not the same. The EU once again is not what the UK people voted for in 1975 regardless of the lies. So again no not the same. I am not against people of any country unlike you constantly demonising and ridiculing the UK people.

As for the word mute it must be a translation difference as I haven't a clue what you are on about.

dumb, mute, silent, deaf  ….from translator , your reply is exactly what described in former reply , carry on

10 minutes ago, david555 said:

dumb, mute, silent, deaf  ….from translator , your reply is exactly what described in former reply , carry on

No need as you once again don't answer questions and it is clear you are just a bitter, angry person who seems to have a problem with UK people.

The UK just needs to honor the referendum vote, leave the UK in October, and take its medicine. 

X years, from now, when it goes crawling back to the EU for readmission (with an economy the size of Spain's), the EU will no doubt be magnanimous.  ????

28 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

No need as you once again don't answer questions and it is clear you are just a bitter, angry person who seems to have a problem with UK people.

It's your problem now OWN IT. Bring on the Unicorns...... we are watching from our well-feathered nests. 

30 minutes ago, JTXR said:

The UK just needs to honor the referendum vote, leave the UK in October, and take its medicine. 

X years, from now, when it goes crawling back to the EU for readmission (with an economy the size of Spain's), the EU will no doubt be magnanimous.  ????

Say goodnight to the folks Gracie....

It seems even the EU budget chief has admitted they couldn't force us to pay in court i.e. there is no legal obligation.

image.png.3f1015b27c967c893699343d403695ba.png

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/13/eu-says-reneging-on-brexit-bill-would-damage-uk-economy

So now they are just going to try and blackmail us into paying it. Like I said before, the equivalent of a Mafia threatening to break the legs of someone who wants to leave them.

image.png.a9b8ec31d4f795b54f615e37da44e939.png

So what they are saying is, you have no legal obligation to pay, but if you don't we will punish you. They won't sign a trade deal until we pay 39 Billion despite the fact they sell way more to us than we sell to them. In other words, please pay us 39 Billion that you are not liable to pay, and then we will agree to sell our goods to you at zero tariff. You couldn't make it up, no wonder the EU is in such a mess if that's their idea of a sensible approach to a trade deal.

image.png.5bb8008ba799ac916d4bc068c26a1810.png

Thankfully, in other news Parliament is running out of ways to block No Deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/13/parliament-is-out-of-options-to-stop-no-deal-brexit-tory-mp-oliver-letwin

I particularly liked this little gem from the Guardian article:-

“Mrs May’s government accepted the payment of that amount so we expect that, no matter which government will be our negotiating partner in the future. We expect them to accept that bill.

We’re willing to go into the detail of how that sum breaks down"

May's team didn't even have details as to how the eu arrived at this figure?

19 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I particularly liked this little gem from the Guardian article:-

“Mrs May’s government accepted the payment of that amount so we expect that, no matter which government will be our negotiating partner in the future. We expect them to accept that bill.

We’re willing to go into the detail of how that sum breaks down"

May's team didn't even have details as to how the eu arrived at this figure?

Let me review this...

39 Billion pounds, agreed verbally only in return for a vague promise.

With no detail of how the figure was arrived at.

By a now Ex-PM that was forced to resign due to her pathetic handling of negotiations.

As part of a deal that was rejected by the biggest margin of defeat in Parliamentary history.

Oh yeah, we'll be paying that. Who shall we make the cheque out to? ????

11 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

A Scotsman bashing Brexit....now there's a surprise! 

He has been living off the UK government since he joined the FCO back in 1983.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Wightman

Wightman joined the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in 1983. He has had several posts in China and Europe. He was FCO Director for Global and Economic Issues between 2006 and 2008, then Director for Asia Pacific until his first post as Ambassador to South Korea in 2011.[2] Wightman was appointed Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George in the 2009 New Year Honours.[3]

In February 2015, it was announced that Wightman would assume the post of the High Commissioner of the United Kingdom to Singapore in May 2015.[1]

14 hours ago, elliss said:

Source , Establish your statement , with facts ..

How about here https://fullfact.org/europe/how-many-businesses-export-eu/

It sounds like a simple question, but it’s not so easy to answer. We don’t have any official figures for how many UK businesses in total export to the EU. Instead we have various sets of figures, which each count different businesses.

Depending on which you use, probably between around 5% and 8% of businesses export to the EU. “Indicative estimates” published by the government could justify a figure of up to around 11%, if you’re willing to make enough assumptions.

These numbers don’t tell us about the value of trade with the rest of the EU to the UK, which we’ve covered here.

Or here https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36029211

Britain Stronger in Europe says: "Over 200,000 UK businesses trade with EU countries. Leaving would hit small and large UK businesses."

Vote Leave says: "Only 6% of UK firms export to the UK, yet all have to abide by EU regulations on their business."

These two claims are designed to suggest opposite messages:

Britain Stronger in Europe wants you to think that lots of UK businesses trade with Europe
Vote Leave wants you to think it's only a small proportion
Can both the numbers be correct?

In fact, the Vote Leave figure suggests a higher number than Britain Stronger in Europe.

And there is more like that if you want to look for it.

8 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Good luck that you retired and that the Third world country took you in. It is shame that you have turned your back on the country then fed and educated you, regardless of your political view.

I agree with Daroadrunner.

I retired to Thailand from the UK eventually haven given nearly 25 years in the RAF for my country.

Apart from Kindergarten I spent only 4 years at primary and 4 years at secondary school. I always thought that my Mum was the one who fed me.

The country that fed and educated me got 44 years NI contributions from me and has taxed me for 60 years ever since I left school.

It has repeatedly failed to increase my pension in the 10 years that I have received it. It will only let me have a vote for 15 years after my last visit to the UK.

I have not turned my back on the UK but with dimwits like TM "running the country" it makes it a lot harder to like the UK.

14 hours ago, Benroon said:

any brexiteers wish to pick this up ? UK industry not part of the post Brexit plan ? medicine shortage not a problem ?

So now you've got EVERY major industry employer, economists, financiers, HMRC, the 'beloved' NHS against Brexit, whilst in the blue corner you have multi millionaire Boris de pfeffel Johnson who's ONLY ambition is to be prime minister and who's cash will insulate him from the chaos he wants providing the premiership gets onto the family crest, and a smattering of online forum brexiteers who haven't the faintest idea how this will play out ...and Joan Collins !

Why would we take any notice of what major industries say as exemplified by their representation in the CBI. Major industries adopt positions which reflect their global interests. The Brexit vote was won by ordinary people reflecting  their personal and national interests. Apart from that how valuable are the decisions made by industry through the CBI.

It supported widespread nationalisation in the 1950s and 60s, before railing against Margaret Thatcher’s ultimately successful efforts during the 1980s to control both inflation and strident trade union militancy.

The CBI led calls to join the Exchange Rate Mechanism – before the pound crashed out in 1992, causing interest rates to spiral, with thousands of homes repossessed. Despite that, it then doggedly insisted Britain join the single currency, which has been a disaster for Continental Europe, resulting in slow growth across many nations and a ‘lost generation’ of long-term unemployed.etc...

https://unherd.com/2018/01/cbi-got-wrong-course-business-wants-brexit/

10 minutes ago, Benroon said:

lol - ok who needs business, who needs jobs, corporate taxation, stuff em 

Is this a wind up ?

Why do so many Remainers want to accept only their sources of information and opinions.?

Liam Halligan is a British economist.

If it is a wind up it's from a man with a Masters degree in economics from Oxford University.

Where in his article did he say who needs business, who needs jobs, corporate taxation, stuff em ?

29 minutes ago, Benroon said:

The brexiteers do do naivity well - so I sign a contract with your company to pay you a tenner, I tell you to <deleted> off I don't fancy paying it because I've changed my mind - how willing are you going to be to do business with me the next time I ask ?

A poor analogy since we didn't sign a contract for 39 Billion, it was agreed verbally and tentatively and the figure was agreed before we knew we were getting nothing for it.

A better analogy would be a business that you have traded with (buying much more than you sell) and subsidized for 40 years but no longer wish to do so due to poor service and increasing prices. You decide to end the contract and look for other contracts. They tell you that you need to pay 3-4-5 years worth of revenue just to leave, even though they admit their is no liability for this, no legal basis, and nothing they can do if you don't pay. Then they say they won't sign a tariff free trade deal until you pay, despite selling much more to you than they buy from you. 

The EU are panicking, you can tell by their threats. They need the 39 Billion. They also need us to buy their products, the last thing the German economy needs right now is tariffs on their cars going to the UK. They should have compromised and time limited the backstop and got the withdrawal agreement signed (it was still a much better deal for the EU than the UK) but they were too greedy and wanted to take the 39 Billion and also lock us in indefinitely. Now in all likelihood they will get nothing. Barnier must be bricking it, and if he isn't, he should be.

We'll be free to trade with anyone we like after Brexit. China has just made ominous sounds. 
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7137971/China-warns-bad-effects-Huawei-banned-building-UKs-5G-network-spying-fears.html
You must let us build it,how can we spy on you otherwise as we are aiming to be the no 1 nation in the world.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

And we think we have problems!

‘Euro will fail!' Analyst warns eurozone could ‘collapse’ due to Italy and France

He said: “The eurozone could collapse if Italy left or if Le Pen won in France.”

This sentiment was shared by Michael Brown, senior markets analyst at Caxton FX, would said Italy, a nation who has the third biggest economy is the eurozone, leaving would be “fatal” for the euro area.

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/1140099/euro-news-latest-currency-eurozone-european-union-EU-italy-france-le-pen

29 minutes ago, aright said:

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I 'm sure but didn't that ban end when the military came to power?

It is certainly directly accessible. From what I can see access has been open since late 2017 or early 2018. 

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

I agree with Daroadrunner.

I retired to Thailand from the UK eventually haven given nearly 25 years in the RAF for my country.

Apart from Kindergarten I spent only 4 years at primary and 4 years at secondary school. I always thought that my Mum was the one who fed me.

The country that fed and educated me got 44 years NI contributions from me and has taxed me for 60 years ever since I left school.

It has repeatedly failed to increase my pension in the 10 years that I have received it. It will only let me have a vote for 15 years after my last visit to the UK.

I have not turned my back on the UK but with dimwits like TM "running the country" it makes it a lot harder to like the UK.

Understand but I don't see you running the people of the UK down like many remainers do. In fact they want the UK people to hurt which I just can't understand. As an ex serviceman  like yourself who proudly served, I believe we want the best for the country and its people. I have lived overseas for 23 years of my adult life but I still believe it is a great country with even more potential outside of the controlling EU.

I have no problem anyone slating the political class or the establishment but it does anger me when those want to see people without food, medicine and basic amenities.  Their logic to stay part of a corrupt, controlling organisation seems justified to them and that the people should be punished severely for wanting to be free from the EU.

3 hours ago, Benroon said:

I think they're probably more averse to blind uneducated lunacy as opposed to democracy!

Blind uneducated lunacy. You are so high and mighty. Have you got a GCSE. I imagine you would be the first to complain if you had a referendum and the result was in your favour, then the political class, media and everyone else who think they know better tried there best to scupper it and igniore the result.

54 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

i think those billions should be spread evenly to EU expat retirees, so the brits feel like it was for a good cause

No I am happy that it goes back to the people in the UK, for the people who are British. How about the majority of the EU countries paying their fair share which everyone knows they don't and basically freeloading.

Archived