Transferring Visa/Extension to new passport

If your new UK passport is handed over to you by VFS in Bangkok you will need and be given the Embassy letter confirming the authenticity of your new unused passport. This letter will be required by Thai Immigration when you transfer your stamps.

If your new passport was issued and received in the UK, you won't receive or need the Embassy letter, as when you go to Immigration o get your Extension transferred, the passport will already have been used when you were stamped in at the airport.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I did it last month at CW. Took an hour after I had gathered all the necessary copies. I also got an extension. They required the supporting letter from my embassy, which they had given me.

A piece of advice is to hang on to your old passport because it will be tied to everything that you have used it for here in Thailand. For example your SIM card and bank account.

3 hours ago, zydeco said:

They tried to charge you?

Some offices do. Some offices don't.  If they try it on just say the immigration 'Help Line' says there is no charge.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Why don't you do something useful and tell us where you performed this, then we know the requirements at that particular IO?  Including the fact that they try to charge you, and if you stand firm you can avoid it. 

It is the rules across the board. How's that for being helpful? If I'm wrong I'm sure some Mod would have corrected me by now. And If what I say is wrong I will undoubtedly apologise. But I'm sure I won't have to.

3 hours ago, Nordude said:

They required the supporting letter from my embassy

There is NO supporting letter. There is a form, supplied by VFS Global, that you fill in to give to your local immigration office. Who then will try and scam you for 500 Baht, to which you refuse to pay, and they end up doing it free of charge after telling them the immigration 'Help Line' says I don't have to pay. 
Now if I'd been a certain Mod and I'd told you this then it would be gospel and all would be fine. But who am I? Only someone who did it a few days back and had the decency to come on here and be told I'm wrong.    tantrum.gif   icon_smile.gif

Edited by Rally123

11 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

and had the decency to come on here and be told I'm wrong

Because your experiences may not apply to other offices, and you are avoiding telling us where you did this. It would be very useful if you did, but alas, you believe all offices behave exactly the same. :post-4641-1156694572:

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Because your experiences may not apply to other offices, and you are avoiding telling us where you did this. It would be very useful if you did, but alas, you believe all offices behave exactly the same.

What does it matter which office? If you go to any office just follow the procedure that I went through. Doing it that way, at any office, will get you through. Without being conned. Now you can thank me for being so helpful.

Edited by Rally123

9 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

What does it matter which office? If you go to any office just follow the procedure that went through. Doing it that way at any office will get you through. Without being conned. Now you can thank me for being so helpful.

If indeed the letter you get from VFS global satisfies them that is fine. But certainly not the forms you previously linked to:

You'll find the form on here  https://www.thai-consulate.net/thai-forms No signature and no embassy letterhead.

Which you sign yourself! That does not match what I saw used for Jomtiem, signed by a consular official, and having a UK Embassy letterhead. 

What does it matter which office?

Actually plenty. Many differences around the country. 

Edited by jacko45k

18 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

If indeed the letter you get from VFS global satisfies them that is fine. But certainly not the forms you previously linked to:

Which you sign yourself! That does not match what I saw used for Jomtiem, signed by a consular official, and having a UK Embassy letterhead. 

Actually plenty. Many differences around the country. 

It's not a ****ing letter, as such. It's a form which you have to fill out and give to immigration. You don't ****ing sign it. I don't care if that doesn't match Jomtien's office. The way I've informed you is the current way to do it at any office. Embassies do not get involved in passports anymore. It's done by VFS Global. Do you have learning difficulties by the way? I could write slower if it helps.

Just now, Rally123 said:

It's not a ****ing letter, as such. It's a form which you have to fill out and give to immigration. You don't ****ing sign it. I don't care if that doesn't match Jomtien's office. The way I've informed you is the current way to do it at any office. Embassies do not get involved in passports anymore. It's done by VFS Global. Do you have learning difficulties by the way? I could write slower if it helps.

What you get given is most definitely a letter and it is signed by a British Consul official and is on British Embassy headed paper.  Yes, you fill in your details, but it is certainly a letter.  There is also a form to complete but that is a Thai Immigration form.  

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

What you get given is most definitely a letter and it is signed by a British Consul official and is on British Embassy headed paper.  Yes, you fill in your details, but it is certainly a letter.  There is also a form to complete but that is a Thai Immigration form.  

Correct this from the embassy website.

image.png.4ec58182c12bb5de8aed78004d4fceae.png

Source: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#transferring-your-thai-visa-for-replacement-passports

12 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I contacted the British Embassy and they told me I need a letter from them, and then fill in the details.

Today I went to the IO in Ubon to do my 90 day report and asked them what is required to transfer the stamps into my second passport as one was nearly full, they told me they did nor require a letter from the embassy. I only done the following.

1. Hand them my two passports

2. Sign some forms they printed

3. Copy every page from my passport that was full, and 1 page from my 2nd passport.

4. Waited a couple of hours and all was completed free of charge.

Edited by Isan Farang

22 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

Its got a LETTERHEAD not a form head, it is supposed to be signed by a consular official, that makes it a letter! There are a few details you can fill in yourself.

The one you linked to in an earlier post you have to sign yourself. Make your mind up, is this your post or not?

There are more posts than mine explaining things, you may apologize now!

I am done with you. I only have difficulties learning from you, 

Edited by jacko45k

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Its got a LETTERHEAD not a form head, it is supposed to be signed by a consular official, that makes it a letter! There are a few details you can fill in yourself.

The one you linked to in an earlier post you have to sign yourself. Make your mind up, is this your post or not?

There are more posts than mine explaining things, you may apologize now!

I am done with you. I only have difficulties learning from you, 

He's very confused.  His link is for a Thai form, not the letter from the British Embassy which is given to you by VFS.

On 6/12/2019 at 1:17 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Well found. Hopefully this puts the matter to bed!

Well found????? The link is 2014. Out dated.

On 6/12/2019 at 1:18 PM, Isan Farang said:

1. Hand them my two passports

2. Sign some forms they printed

3. Copy every page from my passport that was full, and 1 page from my 2nd passport.

4. Waited a couple of hours and all was completed free of charge.

Thank you for confirming what I've been saying for 3 pages.

On 6/12/2019 at 1:38 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

He's very confused.  His link is for a Thai form, not the letter from the British Embassy which is given to you by VFS.

No I'm not confused. I've said the same thing over and over again since dot one. Someone is confusing things by posting out dated links.

Edited by Rally123

9 minutes ago, Isan Farang said:

I have not received a new passport, I have two passports and one is full.

So you didn't need to get a new passport as per what the thread is about? And you leave telling us that you have 2 passports until page 4? This forum just gets better.

Edited by Rally123

5 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

So you didn't need to get a new passport as per what the thread is about? And you leave telling us that you have 2 passports until page 4? This forum just gets better.

I was referring to the requested letter that some IO do not require. It makes no difference if new or its a second passport, still same procedure to transfer the stamps

You need to rest your horse and sit and have a spliff.

5 minutes ago, Isan Farang said:

I was referring to the requested letter that some IO do not require. It makes no difference if new or its a second passport, still same procedure to transfer the stamps

You need to rest your horse and sit and have a spliff.

Thanks again for confirming what I've been saying for nearly 4 pages. And you are right in that I'm needing that spliff. It comes from posting on this forum.  deadhorse.gif  Don't seem to get it on others.

Edited by Rally123

The form/letter is issued to you by VFS GLOBAL upon collection of ones new passport..
My letter was on British Embassy headed paper and signed by a British consular official. I got it last year when I picked up my new passport from VFS.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

My letter was on British Embassy headed paper and signed by a British consular official. I got it last year when I picked up my new passport from VFS.

Can you give us a link to that 'British headed paper'? Christ, I try to help and all I get is people trying to shoot me down because I go against what a certain mod says. Siht (anagram) I just feel like walking away and saying get on with it. UJ why don't you just admit you gave wrong info and put it to bed? Thanks.

Edited by Rally123

39 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

Can you give us a link to that 'British headed paper'? Christ, I try to help and all I get is people trying to shoot me down because I go against what a certain mod says. Siht (anagram) I just feel like walking away and saying get on with it. UJ why don't you just admit you gave wrong info and put it to bed? Thanks.

I am not the only one that has said you were wrong.

This posted earlier has a link to download the letter from the embassy.

Screenshot of the top of the letter.

image.png.b5628cdd80992479739760cb1d9119c8.png

44 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

I just feel like walking away and saying get on with it.

Many posters wish you would. Despite many posts showing you are completely wrong you insist on continuing  to slur other members.

This thread is 4 pages too long already. I suggest no one answers his inane drivel. 

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Screenshot of the top of the letter.

Fine that's good UJ but initially you was saying I was wrong due to an out of date link that you posted. Everything I've said/wrote on this matter is true and honest but all I get are some that because you didn't confirm it as being <deleted>. We all make mistakes.