Transferring Visa/Extension to new passport

About 10 years ago at immigration, when transferring your old stamps into a new passport, they also gave you the extra months remaining days from ones last visa/extension.  Obviously they could only give a visa/extension in your old passport for the remaining life left in your old passport. Well apparently this has now stopped. Now, if you only have say 6 months left in your old passport you only get a visa/extension for that 6 months. They do not now give you the remaining 6 months of a one year visa on transferring to the new passport. So it's all about timing as to when one needs to replace a passport and applying for a 12 month visa/extension.

Can i also say that when transferring your stamps to a new passport there is no charge. Just refuse to pay it and say you phoned the 'Helpline 1178' and they confirmed 'no charge for stamp transfer' to new passport.

Hopefully I've explained that correctly?    icon_smile.gif

Edited by Rally123
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

Extension for the validity of your passport has been that way for years now.

Stamps are transfered to new passport free of charge.

Good luck with arguing with officer who thinks differently.

I didn't argue. I just told him and another officer, that butted in, that I wasn't going to pay the 500 baht, no receipt, pure and simple. They then just said 'okay' and did it free of charge. Also the farang who went after me went for the same reason as me but was not asked to pay. They just did his.   icon_smile.gif

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The rules changed in August of 2013.

It would have been nice if that info was available. I've Googled high and low trying to find when it was introduced. By not knowing, my monies in the bank for my next visa/extension has had no time to season. The officer gave me 2 choices. First, get a 60 day visa/extension which would sort out my dilemma. Second, was to pay 30,000 under the table. Guess which one I took?  

Now if only other farangs will stand their ground when visiting immigration. May be all this corruption siht would fade away?

• Like 1

It is on the Bangkok immigration website. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php

"According to the New Regulation from August 13, 2013, when submitting application for Visa Extension if the validity of passport of the applicant is not longer than one year left before expiry, the extension of stay will be permitted not exceeding the expired date of passport. 
After the renewal of your passport of obtaining a new passport, you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht )."

Also the link for the original topic is #19 in this pinned topic. Laws, regulations, Police Orders, etc

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is on the Bangkok immigration website. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php

"According to the New Regulation from August 13, 2013, when submitting application for Visa Extension if the validity of passport of the applicant is not longer than one year left before expiry, the extension of stay will be permitted not exceeding the expired date of passport. 
After the renewal of your passport of obtaining a new passport, you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht )."

Thanks for your reply

Next time I go to immigration, instead of Google-ing (waste of time and effort) I'll just phone 'Helpline 1178' beforehand and rely on their say-so as to the procedure. Easier and quicker. 

Edited by Rally123

8 hours ago, Rally123 said:

I didn't argue. I just told him and another officer, that butted in, that I wasn't going to pay the 500 baht, no receipt, pure and simple. They then just said 'okay' and did it free of charge. Also the farang who went after me went for the same reason as me but was not asked to pay. They just did his.   icon_smile.gif

It would have been nice if that info was available. I've Googled high and low trying to find when it was introduced. By not knowing, my monies in the bank for my next visa/extension has had no time to season. The officer gave me 2 choices. First, get a 60 day visa/extension which would sort out my dilemma. Second, was to pay 30,000 under the table. Guess which one I took?  

Now if only other farangs will stand their ground when visiting immigration. May be all this corruption siht would fade away?

Get off your moral high-horse.  I personally like having an option to a bureaucratic nightmare even if that means petty-corruption.  I don't know what rights you think you're protecting because you have none here.  

What happens if you are getting a new passport because the old one is full, not about to expire? Do you simply go your your IO with both new and old passports and have the Extension and Re-entry Permit transferred to the new passport? Is any further documentation required? Is there a fee?

14 minutes ago, Antiparovian said:

What happens if you are getting a new passport because the old one is full, not about to expire? Do you simply go your your IO with both new and old passports and have the Extension and Re-entry Permit transferred to the new passport? Is any further documentation required? Is there a fee?

Nothing more than having a letter from the embassy.

There is no official fee to have your stamps transferred.

1 hour ago, Robins said:

Get off your moral high-horse.  I personally like having an option to a bureaucratic nightmare even if that means petty-corruption.  I don't know what rights you think you're protecting because you have none here.  

After nearly 15 years of immigration officers trying to skank me I've had enough. You say I have no rights here. Well you are wrong there. We all have rights that's why they have help lines to assist in not being skanked. You seem to be the kinda person who, if an immigration officer asked 'give me your watch and let me pork your missus' you'd duly comply. God help us if we were all like you.

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The letter is now issued by VFS Trendy House when collecting ones new passport. Just a simple case of filling it out yourself before going to immigration.

Edited by Rally123
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no official fee to have your stamps transferred.

Hi Ubon. I am getting my new UK Visa via a premium fast track online applcation during a brief visit to the UK. It is just a 30 minute visit to the Passport office in Durham. Which Embassy do I need the letter from?

1 minute ago, Antiparovian said:

Which Embassy do I need the letter from?

None. Passports are issued through VFS in Thailand so go and get the letter there. Or maybe they issue them in the UK and you can get one at the same time you get your new passport.

11 minutes ago, Antiparovian said:

Hi Ubon. I am getting my new UK Visa via a premium fast track online applcation during a brief visit to the UK. It is just a 30 minute visit to the Passport office in Durham. Which Embassy do I need the letter from?

It is a letter from the British Embassy. Not sure if Durham issues what will fit the bill but you can get one in Thailand, quite easily in Pattaya.

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It is a letter from the British Embassy.

No it is not. It is issued from VFS Global. And it isn't a letter but an application form requesting your visa/extension stamp to be transferred from your old passport to your new one.

Edited by Rally123
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

No it is not. It is issued from VFS Global. And it isn't a letter but an application form requesting your visa/extension stamp to be transferred from your old passport to your new one.

As I said, you can get one without going anywhere near VFS too.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

It is given to you by VFS but it has the UK embassy letterhead on it and it is signed by a consular officer.

I'm open to correction but I don't recall any personal signature by any consular official.

4 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

I'm open to correction but I don't recall any personal signature by any consular official.

They are handing out copies of a blank signed form. The ones I have seen copies of had a signature at the bottom of the form.

11 hours ago, Rally123 said:

You'll find the form on here  https://www.thai-consulate.net/thai-forms No signature and no embassy letterhead.

This is not what we were discussing. Immigration will require a supporting letter to make the transfer, to confirm in their mind this is a genuine new passport for the same person. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

This is not what we were discussing. Immigration will require a supporting letter to make the transfer, to confirm in their mind this is a genuine new passport for the same person. 

Immigration WILL NOT require a supporting letter. For Pete's sake I only went through the process less than a week ago. Your last post is also tosh. It's wrong information. Just cuz someone on TV posts it doesn't make it true. We all make mistakes. But in this case it's not me that made it.

The so called 'embassy letter' is a form that you personally fill out and give to immigration and is issued by VFS Global. How many times do I have to repeat this?

50 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Pretty sure I downloaded this letter from a link on here four years ago, there was no need to get it signed.

You are correct it does not have to be signed. Not even by you after filling it in.

Edited by Rally123

6 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

Just cuz someone on TV posts it doesn't make it true.

Exactly, and just because one IO doesn't require it does not make it nationwide. Phuket were not last year.  I read a post on this forum where someone was asking where he could get this letter as Thai Immigration in Jomtiem were requiring it. I will trust UJ's posts over your ill mannered responses. Thank you for your input. 

Here is another example.

Edited by jacko45k

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I will trust UJ's posts over your ill mannered responses. Thank you for your input. 

Of course you will trust UJ's post. It goes without saying. Christ, you are right up with them.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

Of course you will trust UJ's post. It goes without saying. Christ, you are right up with them.

You are simply waffling on about a form which, by the way, I don't believe I needed when I last transferred to a new passport.  Given it was some time ago. Why don't you do something useful and tell us where you performed this, then we know the requirements at that particular IO?  Including the fact that they try to charge you, and if you stand firm you can avoid it. 

Edited by jacko45k