Video: Crafty old farang steals a Thai's money at supermarket checkout

webfact

8 hours ago, mstevens said:

If you saw someone drop money in a situation like that and didn't mention it to them and rather surreptitiously picked it up and kept it for yourself, that in my mind is the same as stealing it. Shameful, that man!

..sure it is called 'stealing by finding'...what a despicable prick.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

How is that people don't realize the CCTV is pretty much everywhere now, especially shops and supermarkets. 

Big brother is watching you where ever you go and what ever you do. 

its a fantastic thing..should be everywhere.

39 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

How was someone aware of this incident, to then have the market check the CCTV?

Did the woman come back, realizing she was a bill short?

Was a surveillance person or a customer watching it occur but doing nothing about it?

Neither of those seem likely.

One thing they invested in some good cameras better then most.

Your question, often security will be looking live.  But if not, they will go back over video mostly checking for internal theft.  Maybe that cashier has come up short a few times.

Anyway, I assume that may have been the case here then they stumbled upon this moron.

27 minutes ago, Bantex said:

He’s just a common thief.

I’ve dropped money in the past and Thais have picked it up and handed it back to me, one even followed me out of the shop to hand it back.

yes that what you can expect from Thai people, nice and corteous. I had similar experiences (plural). 

8 hours ago, neeray said:

What a disgusting sight. And I'm not just talking about the theft (of the 20 baht note).

Hopefully he'll head home soon.

It just takes one poster to say "What was it - a 20 baht note?" and then it IS a 20 baht note!

Still, a totally selfish, disgusting act that is almost theft. My wife told me that once she noticed a farang's wallet dropping unnoticed to the floor and she gave it back to him - not even a tip for returning it. I've also seen her pick up unnoticed notes (as in the post) and return them with barely a thank you in return. I'm not saying that people deserve to get robbed, but those types get no sympathy from me.    

Just now, bkk6060 said:

Geez dude, watch the video....

Some people don't even read the posts properly before jumping to conclusions, and you expect them to actually watch proof of wrongdoing?  ????

Maybe I am an old fashioned sort of guy. I believe in a few principals. 1. When living in a foreign nation, treat the locals with respect, honesty and kindness. 2. Never steal. It is just not satisfying enough to justify. OK. White collar crime maybe. Stealing $25,000,000 from a bank using hacking. Maybe. Who suffers? At that point you are stealing from thieves. LOL. Please do not take me too seriously. This is said in jest. But, to steal money from someone in this fashion? Not very dignified. 

What a drama and exitement about nothing. The problem of posting anything about everything. Yes foreigners blame, Thais blame.....At the end it it sounds like only foreigners doing that. Well no question of nobody should do that!

How do we know it was 20 baht?  Maybe he did not sell himself so cheaply, like Ray Carroll did.  Maybe it was actually a 1,000 baht note.

In fairness, a couple of weeks ago, I shoved 10,000 baht carelessly into my pants pocket and was walking around in Makro shopping.  Some elderly Thai gentleman caught my attention and pointed at my pocket.  The 10 grand was just barely hanging there ready to drop to the floor.  He could have waited for the drop and scooped it up, but he told me.  Or he could have just let it drop because he thought I was a filthy farang and let some lucky Thai pick it up.  Everybody isn't bad.

But there are some nasty and unprincipled people of all nationalities running around out there.  It is amazing that some people will even screw a friend for a little quick cash.

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What an unskilled amateur , he should have accidentally dropped some of his own money  and picked up the note on the floor , being unaware that the other note wasnt his

You've done this before! ????

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Does it really matter if it was 20 or 1000 baht the principle is the same, he obviously saw what happened and should have informed the young lady she had dropped some money.

it's not how much it is, but what you do with it that counts

Archived