Thailand: Paradise Lost? Part 1.

webfact

"Unless something is done, urgently, then Thailand, along with the southern tourist money-spinner, Phuket, will continue to lose tourists, especially when so many other countries are now going out of their way to welcome them."

I wonder if rather than doing something urgently, the response will simply be to target a different type of tourist?  One who may have less to spend, but at least doesn't mind these types of conditions.

Sewage in my village goes from the houses into the street drains which then flow directly into a local klong. This klong then links to the local river system.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, anterian said:

Sewage in my village goes from the houses into the street drains which then flow directly into a local klong. This klong then links to the local river system.

Hmm? Most houses have a septic tank and yes while the overflow probably does exactly what you say it is not untreated sewage which was the inference you wanted.

At least they don't have septic fields with the resultant risk of ground water pollution.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

There needs to be a monetary cost associated with having a business in tourist areas.  Using Pattaya as an example the best system is to charge a flat fee to those that own the businesses or buildings along the beach road.

For other hotels and bars also charge a tourist fee.  

The money from this is to be used to upgrade the city and maintain it.

This is where and why it will never work because there would be too much money and the chance of corruption or dipping fingers into the account would be too great.

• Like 2

They need to make everything possible down south and other areas as well, national parks. Those are absolute treasures of diversity and beauty the likes of which cannot be seen in many countries at all. 

Long term that is absolutely where it is at. Definitely not too late. I really do believe they will do it too. There is just so much money at stake and eco tourism really is the way of the future. Even rice farms!... there are white folk high and low who would pay good money to farm rice and live in a farmers home. Yet that is completely unheard of. Again, I do believe they will wake up to this, because it is the best and most lucrative for all in the long term. 

• Haha 1

Thailand was a great place to live, but not anymore. Greed mostly has killed the place.

Many of my friends have already moved to more fertile ground like Vietnam & Cambodia where it's still good value for money, friendly and retains it's rather rustic appearance. 

The land of smiles is no more, quite sad!

• Like 1

Lost?  More like gone for good!  It's completely destroyed everywhere.  If Thais cared they would show it.  FACT:  Thais DO NOT CARE! 

Edited by mike787
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, anterian said:

The whole island of Victoria BC did not have sewage system until 2016.  All flowed into rivers, then Pacific Ocean.  just a few hundred thousand people though

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/leave-victorias-raw-sewage-alone-alberta

Kudos to Thaiger for drawing attention to this, and pointing out social media's role in amplifying awareness of it.

At first, I thought... "Geez, there are 20 billion better images you could have used to showcase Thai tourist destinations?" and then after reading the article... I was... just..... "Oh."

3 hours ago, mike787 said:

Lost?  More like gone for good!  It's completely destroyed everywhere.  If Thais cared they would show it.  FACT:  Thais DO NOT CARE! 

Rooster had an article on that very subject some while ago. It is the difference between Thai thinking and falang thinking. It troubles me most days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ocddave said:

We see something to be saved, they see something to be exploited.

Unfortunately true! so many of the Thais that "we" deal with & meet have spent most of their lives in abject poverty, when they meet a "Farang" the first thought that appears to come to their minds is $$$$ money! It's always been that way here, it isn't a recent event, going back to my earliest foggy memories it was the same & I have been here well over 30 years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the guest said:

Thailand was a great place to live, but not anymore. Greed mostly has killed the place.

Many of my friends have already moved to more fertile ground like Vietnam & Cambodia where it's still good value for money, friendly and retains it's rather rustic appearance. 

The land of smiles is no more, quite sad!

What date is your flight? ????