Yellow tabian Baan vs. blue tabian Baan

May I ask for advice from the more experienced expats, please?

I have permanent residency and rent a small studio in an apartment. This apartment is owned by a Thai company.

The representative of this company/apartment allowed me (after many requests from my side) to put my name on their blue tabian Baan to register my address.

The problem is that whenever I need to use their blue tabian Baan (driving license, immigration etc) it gets very complicated and I am afraid that at some point I won't be able to get this blue book anymore.

I went to the local district office to apply for a yellow book, but they told me that foreigners with permanent residence have to be on the blue book and can not obtain their own yellow one.

Is their any way around of this? I am afraid that in the future, if for whatever reason the landlord refuses to give out the blue book, I will be in trouble...

Thank you for your kind support

Andreas

Not sure why you are having to show the original house book to do things. For most things a copy of page one and the page your are registered on is all that is needed. Thais do that all the time since they may not have access to the original blue book since they live in a different part of the country than where they are registered in a house book (parents or other family members blue book in many cases).

You cannot get a yellow house book since you are registered in a blue house book.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure why you are having to show the original house book to do things. For most things a copy of page one and the page your are registered on is all that is needed. Thais do that all the time since they may not have access to the original blue book since they live in a different part of the country than where they are registered in a house book (parents or other family members blue book in many cases).

You cannot get a yellow house book since you are registered in a blue house book.

One of the cases is when we renew our residence book after its full stamped. The immigration officer in BKK insist on bringing the original house book with us

On 6/11/2019 at 4:32 PM, Swiss1960 said:

Depending on the IO, you do well to have all originals - bank books, tabien beans, ID cards etc - with you, otherwise you might do a round trip to get them...

I was only writing about a blue tambien ban. My wife seldom has to show hers. Immigration has not asked her to show for it or her ID card when applying for my extensions. As I wrote before the majority of Thai's do not have access to the original tamien ban they are registered in.

The other things you mentioned are a given. Especially a bank book if using the money in bank option for an extension.

• Like 1

Swiss1960 has the right answer. I was in your situation when I first got PR. My landlord didn’t want to put me in a blue book and only did so when I asked him to terminate my lease early so I could find somewhere else to live where I could comply with the law. It took him months to do it and then he refused to even give me a copy. I had to get one of those certified copies from the district office every few months. I forget how long they are valid for - three months I think. But anyway it was accepted everywhere, including for getting a white residence book when the blue  one filled up. Problem solved.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

My understanding is that a blue book can only be in a company name or Thai individuals name I am not sure how they managed to put your name on the book . It is easy to get your yellow book just take yourself to the love tambon office with lease agreement ,passport. And apply for yellow book I did mine in 30 minutes and also got a pink ID card total cost 500 baht

17 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Depending on the IO, you do well to have all originals - bank books, tabien beans, ID cards etc - with you, otherwise you might do a round trip to get them...

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Very true I always carry all my original documents just in case IO ask for them as it takes me most of the day to do a round trip to the IO office.

6 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

My understanding is that a blue book can only be in a company name or Thai individuals name I am not sure how they managed to put your name on the book .

Read the OP again.

He has permanent residency and has to be registered in a blue house book.

Get it from the horse's mouth and see the amphur (อำเภอ) office for clarification. I've been on a PR since 1988 and moved from rental to rental. It is tedious because it does not only concern the ampur but also the local police with the brown booklet .....

Then I came across a difficult landlord (as far as the house register is concerned) and subsequently decided to put my name onto the house register of my wife in Northeastern Thailand. Ever since, no problem anymore and as you can endorse/apply for re-entry anywhere it is pretty much irrelevant, where you are registered.

If you do NOT have this possibility, then consult with the amphur; you are certainly not the only unmarried PR holder without owning property any property.

3 hours ago, crazykopite said:

My understanding is that a blue book can only be in a company name or Thai individuals name I am not sure how they managed to put your name on the book . It is easy to get your yellow book just take yourself to the love tambon office with lease agreement ,passport. And apply for yellow book I did mine in 30 minutes and also got a pink ID card total cost 500 baht

wrong. PR 's have a blue book same as Thais

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I was only writing about a blue tamien ban. My wife seldom has to show hers. Immigration has not asked her to show for it or her ID card when applying for my extensions. As I wrote before the majority of Thai's do not have access to the original tamien ban they are registered in.

The other things you mentioned are a given. Especially a bank book if using the money in bank option for an extension.

What extensions.?  If you are PR you don't do any visa extensions the only time you need to go to immigration is when you travel abroad you need to get a re-entry permit. You don't need your blue book to do this. You have to produce your alien registration book. Same with renewing your license you need your alien registration book.  I think the only time you really need a blue book is when you move to another location, otherwise you use your alien registration book for everything. I'm wondering if you really are PR having to ask these questions.  

?

53 minutes ago, gamini said:

wrong. PR 's have a blue book same as Thais

What extensions.?  If you are PR you don't do any visa extensions the only time you need to go to immigration is when you travel abroad you need to get a re-entry permit. You don't need your blue book to do this. You have to produce your alien registration book. Same with renewing your license you need your alien registration book.  I think the only time you really need a blue book is when you move to another location, otherwise you use your alien registration book for everything. I'm wondering if you really are PR having to ask these questions.  

?

Read what he wrote he is referring to what his wife does doesn’t mention that a person with PR does extensions.

OP - do you have any Thai friends who would be agreeable to you going in the blue book for a property they own? Or could you not buy a small condo and live in that, paying off a mortgage instead of rent, and getting your own blue book at the same time (although that said I don't know if a PR holder can be the 'jao ban' in a blue book)?

22 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Read what he wrote he is referring to what his wife does doesn’t mention that a person with PR does extensions.

So his wife is a farang and he is a permanent resident?