Updated bank book ok but want to see again in 3 months !

Hi so all went OK with retirement visa renewal today. I didn't need bank book update OR bankletter to be same day as application btw. ( Kaisikorn bank told me wrong).   BUT although I will pick up passport tomorrow there is a new requirement now (OK maybe not that new, but new to me) in that I have to come back to immigration in 3 months (8th Sept) with updated bank book AGAIN.

It looks like I have to keep 800k in bank 2 months prior to apply (I thought was 3) AND 3 Months after to. Not a problem for me but just the inconvenience. Whats the time limit (if any) either side of the date for visit to Jomtien Imm? Whats the time limit (if any) either side of the date for book update? Whats the reason for this new red tape, to stop visa companies assisting with the financial requirements then taking their loaned 800k back out after got visa? or something else.

Edited by Rolanddrums

A new requirement (March) to keep the 800k for 3 months after renewal application, then 400k, until 2 months before next renewal application, when you will need 2 months seasoning of 800k again.

Best to simply update passbook day you go. Why not attend date they specify?

Why the change, many believe it will push more into the arms of agents. 

Edited by jacko45k

Hi ok just keep 800k + in all the time easier I think. But how many times in the next year will i need to update book and return to Immigration. Just the once in 3 months time or more?...all this in addition to 90 day reports? 

CC...Not sure what you mean...cheers

Edited by Rolanddrums
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rolanddrums said:

Hi ok just keep 800k + in all the time easier I think. But how many times in the next year will i need to update book and return to Immigration. Just the once in 3 months time or more?...all this in addition to 90 day reports? 

CC...Not sure what you mean...cheers

As I know it for Jomtiem, just the once after 3 months. Possibly the 400k will be checked next renewal.

I too will just keep 800k all the time.

Thanks Jacko. Yes I want to return to UK somewhere around that 3 month later date in Sept, hence I'm interested to know the time window allowed either side for the bank book update and and Immigration  visit, does anyone know? If its very narrow window and I'm 10,000 km away that could be very inconvenient even for a retiree.

Edited by Rolanddrums

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

As I know it for Jomtiem, just the once after 3 months. Possibly the 400k will be checked next renewal.

I too will just keep 800k all the time.

As I already did 6 years..., and now for coming 3 years , after = address in home country again….by-by ret. ext. welcome O-A visa = no obligation to keep your money in Thailand ,may be on Home country bank , and free of using your own money at wish  (unless they go insisting blocking that too for a timeframe ..?)

Let's play chess with them ...:tongue:

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, samtam said:

But wont you now need medical insurance for a O-A visa?

Yes of course & other documents …, did not mention all , but not impossible just as Thai immigration let us jump hoops we are fit trained now :biggrin: and you have the 800 000 also to have on Home Bank , but you are the master of it , so can pay sure a insurance, and the O-A is possible to squeeze 2 years out of it (second year need re entry !! )

42 minutes ago, Rolanddrums said:

Thanks Jacko. Yes I want to return to UK somewhere around that 3 month later date in Sept, hence I'm interested to know the time window allowed either side for the bank book update and and Immigration  visit, does anyone know? If its very narrow window and I'm 10,000 km away that could be very inconvenient even for a retiree.

A couple of friends who told immigration at Jomtien that they would not be in Thailand for the 3 month bank requirement were told, "no problem, just bring the bank book in as soon as you get back" No time frame was mentioned but I would assume within a few days or so. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, potless said:

A couple of friends who told immigration at Jomtien that they would not be in Thailand for the 3 month bank requirement were told, "no problem, just bring the bank book in as soon as you get back" No time frame was mentioned but I would assume within a few days or so. 

And they can check it on your passport entry date stamp , besides your passbook from bank is your ultimate alibi , don't loose it (or forget when coming back country )...

Edited by david555

Many here mention using agents. But what if one lives far away from anywhere an agent operates? I'd guess most of them can work with anybody by exchanging paperwork via EMS, but wouldn't you have to temporarily change your address to BKK or Pattaya or whatever for that to be possible? Then you'd have to report a change of address back to original residence, etc. Sounds slightly messy.

1 minute ago, Carolina Reaper said:

Many here mention using agents. But what if one lives far away from anywhere an agent operates? I'd guess most of them can work with anybody by exchanging paperwork via EMS, but wouldn't you have to temporarily change your address to BKK or Pattaya or whatever for that to be possible? Then you'd have to report a change of address back to original residence, etc. Sounds slightly messy.

For an easy 20k they can get the bus

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Why the change, many believe it will push more into the arms of agents. 

That is  the  plan ,    agent/immi/agent,   same same . 

Easier more , everybody happy . 

However , that said , i am from the old school , and i do thinks by the book,

I pay the 800k ranson , happily .   Whish i had new pickup.. 555

Edited by elliss
  • Thanks 1

For show your uppdated bankbook 800.000 ninty days after extension You can not come before the day they stamped on the note they gave You.

I came 3 days before and had to come back. This was in Jomtien a week ago.

Edited by DanielS

4 hours ago, david555 said:

Yes of course & other documents …, did not mention all , but not impossible just as Thai immigration let us jump hoops we are fit trained now :biggrin: and you have the 800 000 also to have on Home Bank , but you are the master of it , so can pay sure a insurance, and the O-A is possible to squeeze 2 years out of it (second year need re entry !! )

Why would you want to keep 800,00 baht in a Thai bank account when you can keep the same in an English bank ? Do you use a card and pay the charges on a regular basics, or transfer money over. 

I don't get why people think its so good not to have money in a Thai bank when they live in Thailand. 

58 minutes ago, berybert said:

Why would you want to keep 800,00 baht in a Thai bank account when you can keep the same in an English bank ? Do you use a card and pay the charges on a regular basics, or transfer money over. 

I don't get why people think its so good not to have money in a Thai bank when they live in Thailand. 

That can have so many most personal reasons , for me I liked to have my money with me where I live..., second before I was determined to by condo 50% chance too, as I burned my ships in E.U. and moved 10 almost 11  years ago , I got even from Kasikorn 47.55 baht for my Euros . Never had any problem with Thai bank, on the contrary they give you even a 0.50 % where my home country 0.10%....

But now with all the ever changes going on and also getting older , I plan to go back home country in 3 to 4 years time for at least 6 month's a year , and watch how Thailand evolves …., and I only are giving me only 5% chances anymore to buy a condo , and even in a situation I could not resist the opportunity would that anyway appear .

So when that foolish craziness of Brexit started ruining our both currency's € or GBP , I stopped any further transfer and keep my € coming in, in Home country bank ,so using the Burned Ship money in Baht instead , (if needed for eventual condo anyway I can still transfer in in that only 5% case …) So the exchange rate does not hurt me at all in pocket here for now and sure the next  4 years +..not

A non O-A can only applied for in outside Thailand home Country , so avoiding the local Ret.Ext. in Thailand and can use free the money, this is no need for now , but my burned ship money in Baht is not endless...., 4years + yes , mean time the € in Europe stay untouched growing month after month.

Each person reasons are different , but also in case of dying, Europe is more automatic regulated , and in Thailand even a will have to be presented and brought to court by trusted person ….that last thing is questionable …. , I trust Thai banks , but only along I am alive an kicking well to keep control.

For a Ret.Ext the money must be in thai bank in case using the 800K method full, is very simple method , but I don't like the present seasoning for 5 month full and 7 half …. even when by free will I did already so many years , but that was MY decision !!! not by Immigration's order..

I only use my Thai debit card(s) in Thailand , not transferring in (can do if needed..)

So a long explanation for me , others could have same or different reasons , but I have both E.U. bank and Thai Bank and cards ...what else we need

Edited by david555

Just now, marcusarelus said:

I deposited my 800,000 in a Thai bank in 2005.  If I had put it in a UK bank I would have lost almost half of it.  Get it?  I don't like loosing money.  

So you did what I said you should do. 

Losing money is worse than loosing it so don't worry to much. 

Got it ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I deposited my 800,000 in a Thai bank in 2005.  If I had put it in a UK bank I would have lost almost half of it.  Get it?  I don't like loosing money.  

Yep so many posting how they would never put a baht into a thai bank and always keep your cash back home

Fools and their money

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, madmen said:

Yep so many posting how they would never put a baht into a thai bank and always keep your cash back home

Fools and their money

Agree 100%.. Right now you pay for having money in the bank in EU! People don´t realize that Europe if finished, and the US too. Asia is the future, so we better get used to this situation, not easy, I know... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, KhunFred said:

None of this nonesense is necessary with an agent. Just bite the bullet, pay them their cut and be done with it.

Can somebody confirm that for an agent submitted application, there is no second visit required to verify bank book deposit? I have to start preparing for my options like a new OA, agent submitted application, or METV/SETV for my 6-month stay next year. 

• Thanks 1