Majority surveyed doubt Future Forward’s claim of bribe offer – Nida Poll

webfact

Majority surveyed doubt Future Forward’s claim of bribe offer – Nida Poll

Nida-poll.jpg

More than half of the respondents to a Nida Poll, undertaken by the National Institute of Development Administration, do not believe the recent claim by the Future Forward party that some of its MPs were offered amounts as high as 120 million baht each if they voted for General Prayut Chan-o-cha as the next prime minister in parliament on June 5th. The skepticism is due to the lack of credible evidence to support the claim.

Nida surveyed 1,262 people aged 18 and over, of different educational levels and occupations, on June 10th and 11th, asking them whether they believed that someone had tried to buy Future Forward party’s MPs.

The poll shows 53.28% of the respondents do not believe the Future Forward party’s claim, whereas 21.70% believe the claim was true, but that the 120 million baht figure was inflated.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/majority-surveyed-doubt-future-forwards-claim-of-bribe-offer-nida-poll/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-06-12

Wouldn't it be great if at least one or two people had these alleged bribes taped or on video, that would certainly make a few people lose face, wouldn't it ?

The above said, one can work out why all this bickering is about, portfolio's are worth a fortune in kick backs aren't they, and these guys publicly spew if the Junta renig on the deal, bribes comes in all shapes, sizes and forms don't they ?

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

I think most people believe that there was money offered even if it wasn't 120 million. Should be called Nada instead of Nida.

In fact not surprising at all - just more of the same, given the history of Thai politics, e.g, monthly salaries from the party owner, basically a set-up to get enough members to make a government, in exchange for being a 'yes-man', plus actual parliamentary salary and benefits and pension, and of course all deliberate for a purpose - create the circumstances whereby the party owner and the cronies / yes meno get access to many giant troughs. 120M probably small change.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

As far as surveys go they are now-a-days a useless and extremely unreliable information source, this was shown in the recent Australian federal election. The numerous polls over the period approaching the day and on the day, showed a definite win for the labour party indicating a close call to a big win, the polls (and not just one little poll) were so far out, the coalition creamed it in with a major to set-back to the labour party to the point that the leader resign. 

So a piddly little one eyed NIDA survey means NADA. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

in this day and age of electronics/cameras everywhere, phones turned into recording devices, but no physical proof of this other than the word of 'politicians'  lol...

Actually it was mentioned earlier that there is evidence and they were preparing to lodge the evidence. 

Yes cameras everywhere but for experienced people there must be scenarios to avoid video and audio evidence, if desired. Historically many other Thai political parties / whatever groups of human beings / mafia groups / and it could be whatever country, have mostly been quite successful at ensuring there is no evidence.

Plus in many cases the 'no evidence' could well be that folks who do have evidence just keep very silent to keep alive / keep their family alive.

Plus many would keep quiet because if they speak up they instantly land themselves or friends in the 'poo'.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Actually it was mentioned earlier that there is evidence and they were preparing to lodge the evidence. 

Yes cameras everywhere but for experienced people there must be scenarios to avoid video and audio evidence, if desired. Historically many other Thai political parties / whatever groups of human beings / mafia groups / whatever country, have mostly been quite successful at ensuring there is no evidence.

Plus in many cases the 'no evidence' could well be that folks who do have evidence just keep very silent to keep alive / keep their family alive.

Plus many would keep quiet because if they speak up they instantly land themselves or friends in the poo

you sound like a 'politician' yourself lol - as the man says 'show me the money'

Edited by from the home of CC

When this issue raised its ugly head a week or two ago it was made clear then that if those that had been offered the money spilt the beans nasty things would/could happen to them and their families, not surprised they have kept quiet, are you? 

• Like 2

I wonder what answer I would give if I were a citizen of a country ruled by a military junta known for its aversion against any form of public dissent or criticism and its stringent monitoring practices including internet surveillance and censorship if I were asked by a government institution if I believed members of a main opposition party were offered substantial bribes to vote for the junta leader as prime minister, especially if I noticed that my answers were recorded by said government institution.

Whew... what a tapeworm sentence. But I guess it brings the point across that these NIDA polls are rarely to be trusted. NIDA foremost is - and always has been - a government propaganda tool.

1 hour ago, Jimbo2014 said:

I agree with them.  Its a well established canon that you get offered watches these days.  No doubt we will see a few MPs sporting new Rolexes very soon.

Probably a few watches going spare anyway ... 

• Haha 2

Of course that did not happen only the Shinawatras do such things, but there is not real proof of that either.   VOA said Yingluck's election was clean, and Don said there were need for foreign observers, as Thailand had ran successful elections before.  I would give the FFP the benefit of the doubt more than most others in Thailand now.   

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I would have excepted the 120,000,000 baht... recorded the transaction (paid into an overseas a/c) then skipped the country...

very quickly

I'm sure Thai (and other) politicians know many ways to transfer such sums and hide such sums well outside of the mainstream banking system and well away from money laundering scrutiny. 

Quite a few times over many years giant hordes of cash money has been found at the houses of Thai (and other) politicians. 

On 6/12/2019 at 1:36 AM, webfact said:

The National Institute of Development Administration,

Sounds like they are part of the government. Wonder who they report to? And yes, you can make a poll say whatever you want it to. I suspect the respondent population was carefully selected.