I want to kill trees.

2-4D is absorbed by the plant through the leaves and causes the plant to rapidly grow to death.  It is volatile in warm weather and can drift.  It's for broad-leaf plants, not grasses. 

https://extension.psu.edu/amines-or-esters-which-should-you-use

Many brush killers are a mix.  " Most combination products contain 2, 4,-D, dicamba, triclopyr, or MCPA ..."

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Could you learn to co-exist with the flora and fauna of this world? Or perhaps you could spray yourself with this stuff.

The majority of the trees we are trying to kill are a creeping type of tree that sends out roots far and wide, which popup wherever, and crowd out whatever you are trying to grow. And the main one I am having problems this year also sends out vines above ground that wrap and choke out the other growth. These vines grow at an incredible pace. For the most part, when we identify a friendly tree that simply grows up and looks nice, we leave it be.

• Like 1

Have tried drilling into the stumps and using a herbicide, not roundup, due recent research on it. Drilling the roots and using strong salt solution or herbicide into the holes, could take lot applications

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2019 at 6:17 AM, RJRS1301 said:

Have tried drilling into the stumps and using a herbicide, not roundup, due recent research on it. Drilling the roots and using strong salt solution or herbicide into the holes, could take lot applications

Good info .

I have a similar problem . Could you advise me of a herbicide i could buy, thank you.

Edited by elliss

On 6/13/2019 at 6:40 PM, grollies said:

You answered your own question....."These trees come up from the roots...."

You have to dig the roots out with a backhoe. I've cut down and dug up around 200 rubber trees. No sign of them growing back yet.

You got rid of all your rubber now?

200 trees is approx 3 rai?

when i lived in denver, colo. had a neighbor who cut down two fruit trees in his yard, at ground level.  the roots would send up sprouts a good ways from the stump. mowing them didn't kill them.  i had some copper sulfate crystals used to kill roots in my sewer pipes.  we drilled holes into the stumps, put in crystals and by the following spring no more shoots and no lawn damage.

you can by it in chiang rai at chemical shops in small amounts, cheap.  it used in swimming pools also.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, IraqRon said:

when i lived in denver, colo. had a neighbor who cut down two fruit trees in his yard, at ground level.  the roots would send up sprouts a good ways from the stump. mowing them didn't kill them.  i had some copper sulfate crystals used to kill roots in my sewer pipes.  we drilled holes into the stumps, put in crystals and by the following spring no more shoots and no lawn damage.

you can by it in chiang rai at chemical shops in small amounts, cheap.  it used in swimming pools also.  

Thanks for that, as I have been wanting to get some copper sulfate anyhow. I have never seen a chemical shop in CR though. Do you know of one?

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Thanks for that, as I have been wanting to get some copper sulfate anyhow. I have never seen a chemical shop in CR though. Do you know of one?

yes, on the side of hwy one, left hand side if you heading south.  just as you pass the intersection with the street going to bus station #1, heading south, slide quick to exit to the service rd. the chem shop is about 50 meters from there, usually has a sign in front saying salt (for pools). further south is honda car dealer and then road to wiang chai. lots of other chems stocked.  sulfanated copper, blue, one kilo 150baht, may have smaller pks. code on invoice 3023 i think.  World Chemical Group.

6 minutes ago, IraqRon said:

yes, on the side of hwy one, left hand side if you heading south.  just as you pass the intersection with the street going to bus station #1, heading south, slide quick to exit to the service rd. the chem shop is about 50 meters from there, usually has a sign in front saying salt (for pools). further south is honda car dealer and then road to wiang chai. lots of other chems stocked.  sulfanated copper, blue, one kilo 150baht, may have smaller pks. code on invoice 3023 i think.  World Chemical Group.

Thanks, I know right where that is.

23 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

You got rid of all your rubber now?

200 trees is approx 3 rai?

Hi. No, cleared the three rai to build the chicken farm last year. Trees were five years old. Still got around 12 rai of mature trees. Got rid of the last lot of tappers, the new guys are pretty good, production is up, around 450kg last harvest. Opened another 60 trees this week. Pity the price is still crap, B20/kg last sale at the weigh-in. Might build another chicken shed next year ROI is around 25-30%.

• Like 1

Handle copper sulfate with care, protect yourself, your eyes and skin, kids, pets, and especially don't contaminate fish ponds, it is extremely toxic to fish.  Store it in lock up to prevent accidental exposure by kids or others who may not know the toxic effects of handling or breathing the concentrate. 

I have had an excessive exposure to copper sulfate while mixing and spreading soil mineral amendments without eye and respiratory protection.  It's no fun.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/cuso4gen.html

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/carbaryl-dicrotophos/copper-sulfate-ext.html

• Like 1