Extensions - BE WARNED - TM30 Required. 3 Queues. Disaster.

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

The TM30 has been a requirement for visitors/expats for some time. It's been discussed ad infinitum on Thaivisa.  I, and many others have carried the slip in our passports for some years and those of us who travel update them often. There are well publised fines for not having completed it. The onus is on us to meet this condition of stay no matter how much it rankles.

It now seems many, in some areas, have never bothered with this requirement, and this Immigration Office is now enforcing it when people turn up for their extensions. The fine is being levied for not having completed it before.  

Nothing new here! Many of us were forced to jump through these hoops years ago. Welcome to the fold. 

Make life easy for yourself by playing their silly little paperwork games. Keep it separate from the extension process which is already a pain.

No no, he is going to bill his landlord. lol

It was good to see an actual post with some reason behind it and not just subjective, biased mumblings and swill. 

Question on this:

I have a Non-imm B visa with the latest extension based on marriage. Also a work permit. Total of 4 years.

I have never had to produce a TM30 but understand it might be necessary for my next annual extension due in Oct 2019. Every time I need a "residency certificate" in Thailand for banks or whatever, they are happy with the address mentioned in the WP which is my office address.

Now, for this constellation, can you please confirm that a TM30 form is necessary?

Also, I have never done a 90 day report during the last 4 years I worked in Thailand because I usually go overseas for work at least once every 2 months. So upon returning from overseas next week, should I report a TM30 form to my local Bangkok immigration? And as soon as I leave for more than 24 hours (domestically), upon my return I need to refile it (provided that I stay at a place that will notify the local authorities of my stay)? Is my understanding correct?

Thanks

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Another killjoy. Perhaps one may say CW could revert and copy Jomtiem, although since there is a potential to make money, unlikely! The TM30 queue is often way out the door of the small separate office in Jomtiem as it is. 

Seems to be going in the opposite direction though, more and more offices adopting the more stringent proceedures, not the other way around.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Great!  agencies know the paperwork, double check, know the IO officers, are normally on-time and not that expensive. Used one for years and never regretted it for a nano second. I go once a year, meet the agents staff, in and out in under an hour. 

The paperwork is simple to understand. I go to immigration once a year, present my retirement extension application directly to the IO and am out in less than an hour. My expenses are zero. I personally have always been happy with that system.????

Of course next year will change slightly because I will change to an extension based on marriage and understand there's also a one month 'under consideration' period to include. I thought of asking  an agent if using them would make the one month wait more bearable but, apparently, they don't get involved with marriage extensions, it's too complex for them to fiddle.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, thequietman said:

Just send a letter to your embassy. If they get enough complaints from your fellow countrymen, maybe, just maybe the consul will bring it up with a Thai official.

Wishful thinking I know, but baby steps. ????

555555555.... now That is funny!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sumrit said:

I also do my extensions and 90 day reports at S Racha. Previously I had never completed a TM30 but, with needing to go to the UK for four weeks last year (and seeing a few reports of people being fined for not filing a TM30 here on TV). I went to ask them at Si Racha Immigration. They said yes, it would be enforced in the future for people returning to Thailand after trips abroad. I did mine when I returned and the 'TM30' office, outside at the back of the main office, was filled to overflowing with people of various nationalities being sent there and fined for non/late TM30 reports.

As others have said, this is a 40 year old law and, just because it hasn't been enforced until relatively recently, it's still a requirement that appears to now need to be completed. 

It's not difficult, it's a five minute job, so just do it or accept the fine without complaining. 

immigration is 40 km away from my home and costing 2x 500 baht and how can you file something in 24 hours when you land on saturday morning and everything is closed till monday... off course, this crap is not possible at THE AIRPORTS ... that would have been too easy

so I was wondering ... what is you go out of the country every month ? will they fine you 12x 800 baht or just once, if you ever need to go show your face at immigration ?

Edited by justin case

1 hour ago, sumrit said:

The paperwork is simple to understand. I go to immigration once a year, present my retirement extension application directly to the IO and am out in less than an hour. My expenses are zero. I personally have always been happy with that system.????

Of course next year will change slightly because I will change to an extension based on marriage and understand there's also a one month 'under consideration' period to include. I thought of asking  an agent if using them would make the one month wait more bearable but, apparently, they don't get involved with marriage extensions, it's too complex for them to fiddle.

Bully for you. Many don't have that experience. My agent does my 90 day reporting too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It is more a matter of deteriorating, it was easy enough when I first got here.  Increasing requirements is a twist of the knife. After some years I have somewhat committed to Thailand and in the main like the place a lot, just not the days I have to traipse off to immigration. There is the other side of the coin that 'back home' isn't too appealing in modern times also, but obviously there is not the officialdom to deal with.  

I am fortunate, Jomtiem have yet to get onto the TM30 gravy train, and when they do I hope I can manage to organize on-line submittal. I am finding waiting many hours in heat hard work as I age. 

Hey Jacko you can submit TM 30 by mail similar address to 90 day reports just change the recipient to indicate person responsible for TM 30

The TM30 thing has been going on for two years at least, everyone should know about it by now. Do not complain to loud the actual fine is 1600b not the 800 you paid. My land lord refused to come in I deducted the fine from her rent

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Ah, okay , I didn’t realise that, probably nearly a year ago now when I enquired and I’ve been out the country twice or three times since.

I’ve no reason to go to IO for a couple of months, so, interesting to see what they say about domestic.

Will probably look at registering for online just in case emoji51.png

I hadn't really looked at online because our local don't accept 90 day reports online....unless that has changed too. 

• Like 1

Applied for 800k retirement extension at CW recently. None of these issues/problems

occured. BTW, if I was you I wouldn't speak to the officers in the way you describe. They will smile, but your attitude will be noted for future reference.

1 minute ago, lamyai3 said:

The first most people hear about these "rules" is when they're hit by fines for something their landlord hasn't done. Maybe they should double the fines for anyone happily excusing such blatant racketeering. 

+1

Racketeering is the right word.

13 minutes ago, moe666 said:

The TM30 thing has been going on for two years at least, everyone should know about it by now. Do not complain to loud the actual fine is 1600b not the 800 you paid. My land lord refused to come in I deducted the fine from her rent

Yes, all the bangkok people dont realise that the rest of Thailand went through the TM30 stuff in the last couple of years.

I was cleaning out some paperwork the other day and found a TM30 receipt dated 2014. I was living at the GF house at samut sahkon and did an extension there, GF had to do a TM30 for me living at her house, and that was 5 years ago. Immigration offices have usually done TM30 as you apply for an extension, nobody even realised as it was just a form to sign, no fines etc

• Like 2

So, in and out in about 3 hours even though you didn't have your paperwork in order.  Nice they accepted your income letter from December.  Nice they had a way set up for you to do the TM30 thing so you didn't need to make a second trip back to Immigration.  Not sure what you are complaining about.  

5 minutes ago, newnative said:

So, in and out in about 3 hours even though you didn't have your paperwork in order.  Nice they accepted your income letter from December.  Nice they had a way set up for you to do the TM30 thing so you didn't need to make a second trip back to Immigration.  Not sure what you are complaining about.  

Perhaps you should read slower.  Last year I was in and out in 25 minutes.  My income letter was dated Dec 31st.  The word extortion comes to mind, pay me or you don't get your extension.  Who said my paperwork wasn't in order.  Maybe you should read even more slowly.  I had everything I needed.

• Thanks 1

Be warned,that they will ask you for things that are not spelled out in the regulations. Nobody should be asking me for a copy of what the landlord should file. 

I don't know what planet you're from op but its been in the Immigration Act since 1978. 

16 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Yes

Thank you for your clarification that the immigration official made you sign the TM.30 form where the house-master or owner or possessor of the residence would sign.

As explained in this post, the immigration official had the right to make you submit and therefore sign the TM.30 form.

14 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

I am taking it out of my rent and the condo owner knows it.  How could it possibly be my responsibility?  I don't have her ownership info.  I cannot do this because I lack information.  I can only do this at immigration where they allow me to sign for the owner because they have me held captive and will withhold my extension.  I'm sure Thais could care less about doing this, and often become scofflaws.  They just figured out how to get their money.  The fact, that I had no documentation to make this report was overlooked.

800b.  Thank you.

If you never ever got a TM-30, including when you first moved in, you might have a case.  However, if you left the country or stayed in a hotel somewhere else and failed to notify the owner, you do not.  The TM-30 issue(s) has been an all to frequent subject on TV.  Some people heeded the warning and others did not but the warning was out there.

Registered marriage and changed addresses for our house.  We stopped by my agent and they had my wife sign the documents and explained in Thai why the TM30, paid 500 baht, left passport and they did TM30, changed my address, and did my 90 day. Live a ways outside Chiangmai. Worth every baht!

Edited by Danthai

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, all the bangkok people dont realise that the rest of Thailand went through the TM30 stuff in the last couple of years.

I was cleaning out some paperwork the other day and found a TM30 receipt dated 2014. I was living at the GF house at samut sahkon and did an extension there, GF had to do a TM30 for me living at her house, and that was 5 years ago. Immigration offices have usually done TM30 as you apply for an extension, nobody even realised as it was just a form to sign, no fines etc

Same over 3 years ago when I rented a shophouse after a divorce. Hauled landlord to Promanada IO to fill in TM30. Took 10 minutes. No charges. at that time you only reported to IO at airport if you returned to country, same address and they updated paper in passport.