Teachers at daughters school wanting to visit our home.

sherwood

My step-daughter graduated from a private Catholic high school a few years back. Never had a home visit, but had numerous parent-teacher meetings over the years. While in general things were OK, I'm sorry to report that I had one encounter with a home room teacher who left me with the impression that she harbored some extremely ugly attitudes towards Thai women married with foreign men. Basically, that the women were all former hookers and the men were all low lifes. The teacher's attitude was so overpowering she refused to converse with me in Thai (even though three of her collegues had no problem conversing with me in her presence), and talked to me in a very condescending manner as though I were very poorly educated.

If home visits are a standard part of the screening process, then that's that. But if you're being singled out or selected for a home visit and others aren't required to do so, then I would surmise that the motive might be curiosity about the lifestyle you might lead because you are a foreigner, or it also could be driven by an attitude that extra scrutiny is warranted because, as a foreign-Thai couple, you are seen as potentially having a less stable home environment.

Not saying at all, that's what's going on here, but some schools can harbor attitudes about foreigners, and not everyone thinks a foreigner in the household is automatically a big plus for the student's academic prognosis. Most foreigners assume, most often correctly, that they will contribute greatly to a child's academic development, but you need to keep in mind that that view isn't necessarily embraced by every Thai educator.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Sitting here now waiting on the visit. Hope they come before 7pm as it is a Saturday and will be a little bit drunk by then after watching the rugby.

I hope your kid(s) wil be sleeping before you get 'a little bit drunk'! Or is that normal parenting for you, getting drunk at home? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

It realy is a long day for a school kid here, up at 6.00 am on the bus at 7.00 am home at 5.00 pm, homework and a little play time before dinner. She will be five next month and she is doing OK.

Anyway however you teach your kids do it well, that is the best we can hope for. Just dont leave it up to the institutions to teach them everything. They me be young but they are as individuale as you and I.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sherwood said:

It realy is a long day for a school kid here, up at 6.00 am on the bus at 7.00 am home at 5.00 pm, homework and a little play time before dinner. She will be five next month and she is doing OK.

Anyway however you teach your kids do it well, that is the best we can hope for. Just dont leave it up to the institutions to teach them everything. They me be young but they are as individuale as you and I.

Why do people send a 4 year old to school? Both parents busy making money at work?

I'm all for homeschooling, at least at that age.

Edited by Vacuum
  • Like 2

“A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove .... but the would may be different because I was important in the life of a child”. A good quote me thinks ...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

9 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Why do people send a 4 year old to school? Both parents busy making money at work?

I'm all for homeschooling, at least at that age.

Social interaction is a big point. Daughter started baby school at 3 yrs of age.

Wife works on the farm side of things, not much income from 5 rai and I am retired (for the time being) so not really to make money. We would save money by not sending her to school.

I think you could say she goes to school because we love her.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Reminds me a of a story... my Son (4 years old at the time)... was asked (at school) to select (stickers of) different food types and place them in the 'every day' box or the 'sometimes' box... the idea was to teach them healthy eating with the idea that vegetables go in the 'every-day' box and things like sweets, chocolate etc go in the 'sometimes' box...   the kids were also asked to name some 'every-day' foods and 'sometimes' foods....

.... His teacher, while quite amused, told me that when he was asked to give an 'everyday' food, he answered "Beer" !!!

That's the thing ... lol ... little kids just say the first thing that enters their heads.

22 hours ago, sherwood said:

No big deal but we where all in our PJs when they called us and kind of upset the nightly routine 555 Just checking on the home enviornment I would imagine.

They're also doing a financial assessment of the family.

Kids living in nice houses don't get university loans.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I had one encounter with a home room teacher who left me with the impression that she harbored some extremely ugly attitudes towards Thai women married with foreign men. Basically, that the women were all former hookers and the men were all low lifes. The teacher's attitude was so overpowering she refused to converse with me in Thai (even though three of her collegues had no problem conversing with me in her presence), and talked to me in a very condescending manner as though I were very poorly educated.

Last one that visited my home managed to slip me her phone number (while the gf wasn't looking), and made it quite clear she was available for extra curricular activities.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, sherwood said:

Is this normal. Photos where taken and a little polite banter and of they went across the soi to visit the household of the kid who is in grade two at the same school.

I just wonder if this happens everywhere.

Yes, this is to my knowledge, normal. Teachers from my daughters bi-lingual private school also visit my home – a bit to my surprise, we Westerners are used to some level of privacy – but my lovely girlfriend told me that, that's normal in Thailand...????

6 hours ago, roodujardin said:

Our boys teachers frequently visit, approx. 8 of them. Sometimes they give us a call but mostly it's impromptu. Normal teacher behavior. It's always social and friendly and photos always taken before they leave. 

I would think that taking photographs infringed your privacy

Do they state what the photographs will be used for?

Do explain how they will protect your information and or request permission to use the photographs?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

I would think that taking photographs infringed your privacy

Do they state what the photographs will be used for?

Do explain how they will protect your information and or request permission to use the photographs?

Rather than writing up all the details is probably the most effective way of recording the visit

I am not surprised there are foreigners who struggle in Thailand, noting the suspicious potentially confrontational attitudes exposed on threads such as these - relax guys a couple of photographs no big deal

• Like 1

Just now, 473geo said:

Rather than writing up all the details is probably the most effective way of recording the visit

I am not surprised there are foreigners who struggle in Thailand, noting the suspicious potentially confrontational attitudes exposed on threads such as these - relax guys a couple of photographs no big deal

Depending on where they are posted/ kept and who has access to them.

I would be drawing a "media use" document and having them sign it, before allowing any photographs to be taken.

https://www.sampleforms.com/media-consent-form-sample.html

5 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Depending on where they are posted/ kept and who has access to them.

I would be drawing a "media use" document and having them sign it, before allowing any photographs to be taken.

https://www.sampleforms.com/media-consent-form-sample.html

i believe this was the point I was making......because your actions would most likely appear to the teachers you were just being awkward and difficult

Might get your child a bit of sympathy though

Edited by 473geo

Oh my, never thought to invite them inside or offer drinks.

Just a few photos outside with the family and teacher.

And by the way, we did have time to change out of our PJs before the teachers turned up for the photo shoot.

3 hours ago, sherwood said:

Social interaction is a big point. Daughter started baby school at 3 yrs of age.

Wife works on the farm side of things, not much income from 5 rai and I am retired (for the time being) so not really to make money. We would save money by not sending her to school.

I think you could say she goes to school because we love her.

or perhaps because the Law says you must.

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

I'm surprised how many pensioners have kids at school. What's wrong with you blokes??