Ireland warns British PM contenders against 'dumbing down' border issue

rooster59

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

And to qualify they need to explain their circumstances. 

At which point they must produce a few bits of missing information. 

Agreed, and then the case becomes "under review" and can remain that way for years ! During which time they are entitled to assistance, based on their circumstances.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And to qualify they need to explain their circumstances. 

At which point they must produce a few bits of missing information. 

Folk with no passport are let out on the UK streets with cash to eat while their stuff is sorted..

You know, you really should do some homework before posting your "stuff"...

15 hours ago, petemoss said:

We were told that leaving would be easy and that we would get an agreement with the EU that would be beneficial to the UK in every way. Does this sound much like the deal that May negotiated? Does this sound anything like a no deal Brexit?

Were the Brexiteers in charge or in any position of power?

What we had was TM and a cabinet of mostly Remainers running the show and heading for Brino. TM never had any real intention of making Brexit a reality which is why the UK is where it is now and where she is after 34 years of lying, prevarication and obfuscation. She was basically fired from being PM.

She had NO intention of obtaining Brexit on any terms despite stating many times that the UK would leave the EU on 31st March. She gained an extension until 31st October and for what?

13 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

That's because there has not been the political motivation to come up with a solution - not publicly anyway. I have no doubt Varadkar and his EU chums have a plan to avoid a hard border in a no deal scenario. 

Not one of Baldrick's cunning plans I hope.

Non of which is payable to illegal immigrants. 

Maybe where you come from, but in the UK the streets are paved with benefits, illegal or not!

Why do you think they are all attracted to the UK? It’s not for the weather.

27 minutes ago, transam said:

Folk with no passport are let out on the UK streets with cash to eat while their stuff is sorted..

You know, you really should do some homework before posting your "stuff"...

That would probably be too "confusing" for him. 

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Non of which is payable to illegal immigrants. 

So once again, more unsubstantiated claims. 

O.K. So please inform us, how do these illegal Immigrants, most of whom

arrive pennyless, yet still manage to pay for food,accommodation, school places if they have children, medical treatment etc.

Educate us please.

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

O.K. So please inform us, how do these illegal Immigrants, most of whom

arrive pennyless, yet still manage to pay for food,accommodation, school places if they have children, medical treatment etc.

Educate us please.

How does any of this apply to Brexit and the Irish border?

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

What we had was TM and a cabinet of mostly Remainers running the show and heading for Brino. TM never had any real intention of making Brexit a reality which is why the UK is where it is now and where she is after 34 years of lying, prevarication and obfuscation. She was basically fired from being PM.

She had NO intention of obtaining Brexit on any terms despite stating many times that the UK would leave the EU on 31st March. She gained an extension until 31st October and for what?

Complete nonsense. It wasn't May's fault that the EU controlled the Brexit negotiations. It's the EU that we're trying to leave, not the EU that's trying to get rid of us. Wait and see if your beloved Boris does any better.

Complete nonsense. It wasn't May's fault that the EU controlled the Brexit negotiations. It's the EU that we're trying to leave, not the EU that's trying to get rid of us. Wait and see if your beloved Boris does any better.
Easy peasy..play waiting game.then NO DEAL..but I think that round about the 24th October..bottles will crash in brussels as the German Automobile industry really kick into the jobsworths in brussels[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, malagateddy said:

Easy peasy..play waiting game.then NO DEAL..but I think that round about the 24th October..bottles will crash in brussels as the German Automobile industry really kick into the jobsworths in brusselsemoji6.png

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Fortunately, IME it's only a small percentage of hard core Brexiteers who wish for a hard Brexit. Most people, including the large majority of MPs, realise what damage it would do to the economy, jobs etc. Not to mention the troubles it may stir up in NI.

As Boris will undoubtedly come back from Brussels with his tail between his legs with a deal that is substantively the same as May's deal and MP's have firmly ruled that out and a no deal exit, I really don't know where this is going.

As I've said before, the only way for MPs to save face with their constituents is to call for a confirmatory vote so that they can blame the result on Joe Public and remove blame from themselves. The noises coming from Parliament currently indicate that this will be the case. Don't forget, that the majority of MPs on both sides of the house, have only acted to curry favour with their constituents throughout this debacle. Nothing could be further from their minds than their principles and their election pledges. They only worry about retaining their seats at the next election.

6 minutes ago, petemoss said:

Fortunately, IME it's only a small percentage of hard core Brexiteers who wish for a hard Brexit. Most people, including the large majority of MPs, realise what damage it would do to the economy, jobs etc. Not to mention the troubles it may stir up in NI.

As Boris will undoubtedly come back from Brussels with his tail between his legs with a deal that is substantively the same as May's deal and MP's have firmly ruled that out and a no deal exit, I really don't know where this is going.

As I've said before, the only way for MPs to save face with their constituents is to call for a confirmatory vote so that they can blame the result on Joe Public and remove blame from themselves. The noises coming from Parliament currently indicate that this will be the case. Don't forget, that the majority of MPs on both sides of the house, have only acted to curry favour with their constituents throughout this debacle. Nothing could be further from their minds than their principles and their election pledges. They only worry about retaining their seats at the next election.

If MPs on both sides of the house had only acted to curry favour with their constituents throughout this debacle we'd be out already. A lot of them do need to be worried about retaining their seats at the next election because many are destined to exit stage left, as things stand.

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

If MPs on both sides of the house had only acted to curry favour with their constituents throughout this debacle we'd be out already. A lot of them do need to be worried about retaining their seats at the next election because many are destined to exit stage left, as things stand.

I can't see how that can be true. The majority of their constituents were not in favour of May's deal or a no deal Brexit which is why they were voted down. Yes they are worried about their seats and rightly so which is why they'll pass the buck and leave the final decision to you.

1 hour ago, petemoss said:

A Remainer post thinks the border will be over run with them and smuggled rum 'n baccy, if we don't have machine guns on it after we Brexit.

13 minutes ago, Loiner said:

A Remainer post thinks the border will be over run with them and smuggled rum 'n baccy, if we don't have machine guns on it after we Brexit.

There is a borderless border now. Not overrun with illegals. Why would it be any different after Brexit?

I do know of Brits who have got their Thai wives into the UK through that route though.

Breach of the GFA is a valid issue though.

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

UK is where it is now and where she is after 34 3 years.

Perhaps I should read my posts at least 3 times before posting.

Stupid boy, Pike.

3 hours ago, petemoss said:

Really? If it wasn't Teresa May's fault then who the hell has been running the Brexit campaign in parliament to leave for the last 3 years?

Where do you get "My beloved Boris from"?

The UK voters, that is you, me and millions of other people have NO input whatsoever as to who will be the next PM.

We have been trying to leave for the last 3 years but parliament, led by TM and the Remainer cabinet have stymied every move to leave despite many promises to the contrary.

I don't care who will be the PM as long as they get the UK out of the EU by 31st October.

If that is the best response you can offer then you can go onto my ignore list.

I can't be be bothered to waste my time talking to blinkered people.

2 hours ago, petemoss said:

There will be NO new deal no matter who goes to the EU to negotiate one unless it is a total surrender of the UK to the EU. If that happens there will be very few Tory MPs after the next election and the Tory party can hold its next conference in a telephone box with room to spare.

I can't see how that can be true. The majority of their constituents were not in favour of May's deal or a no deal Brexit which is why they were voted down. Yes they are worried about their seats and rightly so which is why they'll pass the buck and leave the final decision to you.

The MPs constituents were NEVER consulted as to what they wanted and never will be.

15 minutes ago, billd766 said:

We have been trying to leave for the last 3 years but parliament, led by TM and the Remainer cabinet have stymied every move to leave despite many promises to the contrary.

I don't care who will be the PM as long as they get the UK out of the EU by 31st October.

If that is the best response you can offer then you can go onto my ignore list.

I can't be be bothered to waste my time talking to blinkered people.

The cabinet put the best deal that they could negotiate to the house. It wasn't the cabinet that stymied it, it was the ERM, Labour, the Lib Dems and the UU, not the cabinet. It wasn't the cabinet that stymied the no deal Brexit, Parliament on all sides voted against it, it was on May's insistence that it stayed on the table. Do you only aknowledge the facts that suit your POV? Very blinkered.

Go ahead, put me on ignore, it's the blinkered Brexiteer thing to do.

23 hours ago, tebee said:

What about EU citizens or illegal immigrants? They will have no rights to cross the border, but unless you check who is crossing how will you stop them from entering NI and then the UK?

But it's goods that is the main problem If you don't physically check them how do you know what is crossing the border? I could declare I was exporting a lorry load of expensive aircraft components to Eire and claim back the vat on them, but infact take over sa load of scrap steel. Without check the opportunities for fraud are endless.

Read the comments on this for what a return to the border will mean for the folk there 

https://www.quora.com/What-benefit-of-our-EU-membership-will-you-regret-losing-the-most-if-Brexit-actually-happens/answer/Rachel-Anderson-166

There is a borderless border now. Not overrun with illegals. Why would it be any different after Brexit?

I do know of Brits who have got their Thai wives into the UK through that route though.

Breach of the GFA is a valid issue though.

Can you Remainers agree among yourselves what type of border you want. So many Remainers who didn't vote for so many versions of how they now want us to Leave.

Good job that after we Brexit we won't be imposing a hard border and we won't be breaching the GFA. Not sure about some of you Remainers though.

4 hours ago, petemoss said:

Never mind.

6 hours ago, petemoss said:

Please keep up to date. Someone mentioned that perhaps immigrants, legal or illegal may try to gain access to the U.K benefit system by entering 

the U.K. vie The I.R. This was rubbished by a remainer. 

I therefore asked the remainer to explain his post.

6 hours ago, petemoss said:

True the E.u. Is determined that we don’t leave, or at least if we do, on terms that will deter other countries to leave this so called union.

Added to this is the Fact that the U.K is one of the few countries that actually contribute financially to the bottomless pit that is Brussels.

5 hours ago, petemoss said:

From Where do you obtain all your facts? I can only guess the Guardian.

Anyway this is the breakdown from the 2016 People’s Democratic referendum.

EU Referendum Results 2016

By Votes 17.4 million Leave | 16.1 million Remain”

This is correct.

“By constituency 406 | Leave 242 Remain”

Regarding Conservative constituencies 247 voted leave, while only 80 voted to remain.

And only 160 M.P voted to leave,against 486 voted to remain.

The number of M.P’s does not exactly tally with the number of constituents, due to a few M.P’s being unaccounted for.

2 hours ago, Loiner said:

Can you Remainers agree among yourselves what type of border you want. So many Remainers who didn't vote for so many versions of how they now want us to Leave.

Good job that after we Brexit we won't be imposing a hard border and we won't be breaching the GFA. Not sure about some of you Remainers though.

Both remainers and leavers want a borderless border. Unfortunately, with a no deal Brexit, a hard border is inevitable, which is why there won't be a no deal Brexit. That leaves only 2 alternatives, May's deal, which is the only deal Boris can come back from Brussels with, or remain.

1 hour ago, petemoss said:

When did this vote take place?

If you had cared to fully read my post, you would note that it comes from the 2016 British People’s Democratic Referendum. The exception being the figures for how the M.p’s voted. That figure was derived from the Stated position of the M.P’s prior to the actual vote.

Now you tell me, from where did you obtain your information that the majority of the British people or the majority of constituents did not vote for Brexit.

C94C476E-561A-4D6D-AE0B-FD83EE757BD2.jpeg

Ireland warns British PM contenders against 'dumbing down' border issue

I'm an outsider, not knowing much about the intricacies of the UK-Ireland relationship.  But this dumbing down statement sounds like a direct call to Bojo about coming out with the simple-minded rhetoric of his orange-faced American friend, or that American lush trying to destroy Western democracy.

4 hours ago, nontabury said:

The exception being the figures for how the M.p’s voted. That figure was derived from the Stated position of the M.P’s prior to the actual vote.

Now you tell me, from where did you obtain your information that the majority of the British people or the majority of constituents did not vote for Brexit.

So MPs didn't actually vote in the way you said they did. Well done for misconstruing the facts.

Now show us where I said that the majority of people or the majority of constituents did not vote for Brexit. (Although it's true that far less than 50% of the electorate voted for Brexit).

What I actually said is that the majority of people didn't vote for a hard Brexit or May's deal when they voted for Brexit. They voted for a complete separation from the EU with an exit agreement that is beneficial, financially, to the UK.

Making up quotes seems to be getting a habit with you.

Archived