Dunking

There have been many topics on tea, and other beverages. In fact there is an interesting one on the go at the mo'.

My question is not about what tea you drink but about what you dip into it; dunking.

Back in the UK I dunked 'nice' bickies. In fact a cup of tea would be an incomplete experience without them.

Now I'm in the LOS and 'beng beng' and a small biscuit with a pineapple filling are my favourites. Funnily though, I never dip anything into coffee.

There must be other stuff that would be a great tea dunk. Anyone!?

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Same as soaking..

So you put the bickie in a saucer and pour tea on it. Whet next; suck it up through a tube?

Don't get it. Anyway, I don't want to stray too far from dunking.

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

So you put the bickie in a saucer and pour tea on it. Whet next; suck it up through a tube?

Don't get it. Anyway, I don't want to stray too far from dunking.

As far as I know the word sopping is a Brit word. If one is caught out in a storm and get soaking wet, we can and do say sopping wet....5170.gif.792cddd105f04bc571a3c3dc6670d6eb.gif

• Like 1

Malted milk biscuits in coffee was good. Custard creams in Tea. (UK)

Here in the Los they do a nice biscuit with jam in the centre similar to jammy dodger style sold by the tin but due to dietry change dont participate in the "dunking" experience any more.????

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Custard creams in Tea. (UK)

Custard creams; now you're talking.

I'd forgotten about them. Lovely.

7 minutes ago, transam said:

As far as I know the word sopping is a Brit word. If one is caught out in a storm and get soaking wet, we can and do say sopping wet....5170.gif.792cddd105f04bc571a3c3dc6670d6eb.gif

Yes! But how do you get to do it? Is it the same as dunking, just a different term.

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

Custard creams; now you're talking.

I'd forgotten about them. Lovely.

Yes! But how do you get to do it? Is it the same as dunking, just a different term.

No, you use a spoon to fish it out....

2 minutes ago, transam said:

No, you use a spoon to fish it out....

Got it. What is is really is then, iswhen you misjudge the dunking and the bickies fall into the tea. All of us dunkers have been there. Beng beng (my #1) are also chocolate coated so timing is of the utmost importance.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, transam said:

No, it's a bit like we like HP sauce on chips...A combined flavour thingy...

Yes, well, I can agree with th HP sauce, but diluting a biscuit in hot water (enhanced by tea flavour) I don't understand.

2 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Yes, well, I can agree with th HP sauce, but diluting a biscuit in hot water (enhanced by tea flavour) I don't understand.

It's a local ethnic ritual not fully understood by non practitioners.

• Like 1

Well I never thought TV could be so useful!

My favourite snack is also a beng beng (mainly as they remind me of a 'picnic' bar back home) but never once did I think of dunking it, in fact since 8 years in Asia dunking has become just a vague memory - until now! Thank you TV.

• Like 1

ShotType1_540x540.jpg.71de63801d573acfbd569a29ee3a0298.jpg

Tesco in Malaysia carries Tesco-branded digestives, a little of the grainy taste but still sweet overall.  Dunking for longer than the count of 3 and you'll have to fish it out with a spoon.

There are several types of Tesco-branded biscuits down there, strange but I've never seen these in Thailand.

oaties.jpg.02237a2c5dcc9fbfe0e9a7897d1b168a.jpg

Edited by bendejo

Just now, bendejo said:

Tesco in Malaysia carries Tesco-branded digestives, a little of the grainy taste but still sweet overall.  Dunking for longer than the count of 3 and you'll have to fish it out with a spoon.

There are several types of Tesco-branded biscuits down there, strange but I've never seen these in Thailand.

seen Tesco branded Rich Tea fingers, not tried though.

It's simple really, without being overly analytical, we Brits like to eat crunchy biscuits, which some like to dunk, Mericans like to eat softer less crunchy "cookies" that they don't like to dunk, unless it's a biscuit, then they like to dunk or soak in gravy! - Elementary! :crazy:

“Biscuits, biscuits: wherefore art thou biscuits?  ????

• Like 1