Forum here for Prachuap Kiri Kan?

funlovinkid

I posted this here in the Hua Hin local forum, but I'm not sure this is the best location for it:

I've had a couple of friends here in Thailand express interest in visiting (or living in) the city of Prachuap Kiri Kan, and they've piqued my curiosity, but I can't seem to find any reference to it here on TV.  I would like to learn about PKK, but every "Local Forum" here references virtually every other province in the country but this one.  Does anybody know if there's a correct place on TV for forum discussions about PKK - or, for the Thai Visa moderators, if maybe there should be?

25 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

Hua Hin is correct forum as PKK is one hour south. Throw some questions out here and see how you get on.

Thanks for that (and I will take your advice accordingly hereafter), but if this is true, shouldn't Thai Visa at least include a reference to the province in the sub-heading for this forum?  I notice that other Local Forums make a note of mentioning all the provinces which are meant to be included in the grouping, but PKK is nowhere to be found.  Don't know if I'm correct in assuming that the TV moderators will pick up on this as a result of this thread, or if I should contact them directly.

Basically, I was hoping to stumble across any existing comments from expats about PKK city itself, rather than throwing out loads of question into the emptiness.  ????

Edited by funlovinkid

Me & the Mrs stayed in PKK for 4 or 5 days last year on our tour around South Thailand, on the surface it appears to be a very nice and quaint place, I have some pics on Facebook somewhere I'll see if I can dig a few up and post on here for reference.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, poohy said:

PS if you read my address you will have seen i live there and worked the above out

I don't tend to study posters details, like location ????

But I don't blame you, trying to dissuade the crowds.. Like a lot of places, they are only a few people from being spoilt 

I won't tell anyone else how nice it is there, you're secret is safe...

Edited by cornishcarlos
  • Like 1

Ok being helpful now its a nice place , beautiful countryside and smallish town but not to everyone's taste

April to November is very quiet, a bit like gods waiting room can be busy with snow birds and winter holidaymakers other months but in real terms still a quiet town, more or less zero night life

Weekends can be busy with Thais.

Its mainly a government town so has all facilities ..main shops Tesco and a Macro shopping wise anything else its a visit to HH

Plenty of hotels and restaurants (one good foreign one, not sure if its allowed to advertise so contact poster  Mister T)

Really its best if a prospective visitor comes for a few days and looks around then decides 

Edited by poohy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Why would that be !!

I've stopped there a few times, as it's roughly half way between our place and BKK.

I found it to be a nice little town, not too crowded but still a vibrant market/fishing town feel to it.

Great pier and views from the beach road and just south, at Ao Manao, a good beach to swim.

There's a selection of hotels from budget to middle level and a sprinkling of Western style eateries, if that's your thing.

I'm not sure what there is not to like about it, unless you are looking for non-stop nightlife...

I happen to live in the Pattaya area (4 years now), so I'm familiar with your description above, and that's definitely NOT what I'm looking for.  I moved here primarily as an escapee from the infamous smoky season in Chiang Mai, and I like all the amenities that Pattaya has to offer - with the exception of the nightlife that you describe.  Also, I live at the beach (Jomtien), and I love it - but it would be nice to be able to actually swim in the water without getting sick, which is impossible anywhere around here because of the pollution and street runoff into the ocean.

I'm hitting my early 60's, and beginning to feel myself slowing down a bit, enjoying a bit more peace and quiet than I did in the past.  But I'm wondering if PKK would be outright boring.  I hear Hua Hin has all the amenities, but is too often swamped with Bangkok tourists and traffic, which doesn't sound very appealing.

So, does PKK have any amenities that a typical Westerner would want (some air-conditioned restaurants, a supermarket catering to Westerners [like Villa Market, say], a hospital with English-speaking staff)?  I guess this was the gist of my original posting.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, poohy said:

Humour! maybe difficult to understand but there you go

Also we have to keep out/dissuade the Riff Raff

PS if you read my address you will have seen i live there and worked the above out

If you want to dissuade the riff-raff, that's a good sign.  ????

Prachuap is definitely being 'found' by tourists. First visited 10 years back and it was just about a 100% Thai town popular at weekends with the Bangkok folks but quite at other times. 6-7 years back started seeing back packers and now in season the promenade is flooded with foreigners. As for numbers of foreigners who reside there others need to comment but I'd hazard a guess it's less than 200.

There is an excellent gym and swimming pool up by the main drag plus the local football side play in the Premier league, the Thai version, and if you severely screw up don't worry there's a prison right there in town.

You can reach by train in around 4 hours from Hua Lamphong and the 0805 is excellent.

Isnt there a high speed elevated railway line that is supposed to be running from Bangkok all the way to the Malaysian border? Any sign yet in Prachuap?

• Like 1

PKK is not HH or Pattaya its a quiet "Thai" town

You can swim on Ao manao beach I wouldn't recommend town beach.

Air con restaurant hmm maybe a couple of hotel ones  

Shops same as Villa no, Tesco and Makro only 

Local Hospital is ok and there are some good pharmacy/ clinics who speak passable English

Hotels to suit all budgets 

House for rent anything by the sea is obviously more expensive but there are affordable places around ,you probably need a car or motorbike

Only real way to decide if its for you is visit and get a feel of the place

As for "full time" locals here in town and surrounding area being generous maybe 200 at max! 

Edited by poohy
  • Like 1

We stayed at Sun Beach hotel right at the top end of the promenade, very nice, small family run business, there is the army base to visit, there is a nice ' museum' there with some old aeroplanes and memorials to Thailand's fallen, the beach is pretty good and there are plenty of places to eat and drink in. The very narrow road one back from the beach has some small bars & eateries and other shops.

The local temple is,as usual stuck on top of a bloody great hill, my knees wouldn't allow me to climb it so the Mrs took the camera and did it one morning while I was still in bed ????

IMG_20180603_153653.jpg

IMG_20180603_190057.jpg

IMG_20180604_192046.jpg

Edited by Golden Triangle

19 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Geez, who nicked the toppings from your pizza !!!

I don't think they quite got the hang of it yet, not being a big fan of Thai food I sometimes enjoy the excuses for Western fare that are dished up around this lovely country, and I have visited most of it ????

2 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I don't think they quite got the hang of it yet, not being a big fan of Thai food I sometimes enjoy the excuses for Western fare that are dished up around this lovely country, and I have visited most of it ????

The base looks pretty good and that's where my compliments end ????

I've stayed in that hotel though, was very good value.. Think we paid 800 baht ??

We stayed at Sun Beach hotel right at the top end of the promenade, very nice, small family run business, there is the army base to visit, there is a nice ' museum' there with some old aeroplanes and memorials to Thailand's fallen, the beach is pretty good and there are plenty of places to eat and drink in. The very narrow road one back from the beach has some small bars & eateries and other shops.

The local temple is,as usual stuck on top of a bloody great hill, my knees wouldn't allow me to climb it so the Mrs took the camera and did it one morning while I was still in bed [emoji3]
IMG_20180603_153653.thumb.jpg.43076f14febb1b84e0984b16f77e6f3e.jpg
IMG_20180603_190057.thumb.jpg.f0cf427aaa5990e794d0837ad32fb045.jpg
IMG_20180604_192046.thumb.jpg.a8028611c8d439cd2995d217ed2a1723.jpg

Yup , I also stay at sun beach , here’s an almost identical photo ( must have been in the next room ! )

IMG_5370.JPG

Have stayed there 3 times, last time was Songkran last year.

Recommend the OP take a trip there and stay 4 or 5 days, check out the beach Ao Manao ( excellent IMO ), have a walk up to the Wat ( watch out for the monkeys ) have a beer or two in the main beach front bars and walk the excellent beach front street market.

Me an the gf usually rent the bicycles from the hotel and cycle to the beach or cycle up north, some great rocky coves and wonderful scenery.

There’s a little pizza place on the second road back from the beach ( near the entrance to Ao Manao ), great Italian style pizza with a garden in the back, run by a farang ( although I think it was up for sale ), near the “ Gift Garrely “ ( [emoji23]).

Not sure I would want to live there but it is close to Hua Hin for a more lively/farang experience if that’s what you want occasionally.
  • Like 2

As I mentioned in an earlier post my Mrs went up there while I was still in me scratcher sleeping the sleep of the innocent ???? But yep, I can't remember how many steps to get up there 400 comes to mind, but I told the Mrs no way was I going up there,on our travels down south we did find another temple perched on top of a mountain with well over a 1000 steps to get up there, Air Ambulance would be required for me LOL - I'll see if I can find a picture of it, I have one somewhere ????