U.S. arms makers see booming European demand as threats multiply

webfact

U.S. arms makers see booming European demand as threats multiply

By Andrea Shalal

2019-06-23T202033Z_1_LYNXNPEF5M0UX_RTROPTP_4_FRANCE-AIRSHOW-FLIGHTS.JPG

A Lockheed Martin F-16 fighter of the Belgian Air Force performs at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 22, 2019. REUTERS/Pascal Rossignol

PARIS (Reuters) - U.S. arms makers say European demand for fighter jets, missile defenses and other weapons is growing fast amid heightened concerns about Russia and Iran.

The U.S. government sent a group of unusually high-ranking officials including Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross to the Paris Airshow this year, where nearly 400 U.S. companies were showcasing equipment as the United States and Iran neared open confrontation in the Persian Gulf.

Lockheed Martin, Boeing and other top weapons makers said they had seen accelerating demand for U.S. weapons at the biennial air show despite escalating trade tensions between the United States and Europe.

"Two Paris air shows ago, there weren't a lot of orders," said Rick Edwards, who heads Lockheed's international division. "Now ... our fastest growth market for Lockheed Martin in the world is Europe."

Many European nations have increased military spending since Russia's annexation of the Crimea region of Ukraine in 2014, bolstering missile defenses and upgrading or replacing ageing fighter jet fleets. NATO members agreed in 2014 to move toward spending 2% of gross domestic product on defence.

Eric Fanning, chief executive of the Aerospace Industries Association, said the NATO pledge and European concerns about Russia were fueling demand. "I do think it reflects the increasing provocations of Russia," he said.

Industry executives and government officials say growing concern about Iran's missile development program is another key factor. Tehran's downing of a U.S. drone came late in the air show, but executives said it would support further demand.

"Iran is our best business development partner. Every time they do something like this, it heightens awareness of the threat," said one senior defence industry executive, who asked not to be named.

Edwards said Lockheed's F-35 stealth fighter, selected by Belgium, is poised to win another new order from Poland, while Bulgaria, Slovakia and Romania are also working to replace Soviet-era equipment.

Edwards and other executives say they see no impact from the ongoing trade disputes between U.S. President Donald Trump and the European Union.

U.S. Army Lieutenant General Charles Hooper, director of the Pentagon's Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA), said Europe accounted for nearly a quarter of the $55.7 billion in foreign arms sales his agency handled in fiscal 2018.

Hooper said the U.S. government was making concerted efforts to speed arms sales approvals and boost sales to help arm allies with U.S. weapons.

Ralph Acaba, president of Raytheon Co's's Integrated Defense Systems business, said the company was boosting automation and working to deliver the Patriot missile system and other weapons in half the five-year period previously typical.

"Europe is really big for us now, and that's a big change in just the last few years and even the last 18 months," he said.

In addition to wooing new Patriot customers, Raytheon is upgrading existing systems for customers likeGermany, which is likely to finalize a contract worth potentially hundreds of millions of dollars to the company in coming months.

Thomas Breckenridge, head of international sales for Boeing's strike, surveillance and mobility programs, is eyeing contracts wins for Boeing's F/A-18 Super Hornet fighter jets in Germany, Switzerland and Finland.

"There's a huge appetite in Europe for defence as a whole," he said.

(Reporting by Andrea Shalal; Editing by Jan Harvey)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-24

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't believe in war, but what's that gun you're totin',
And even the Jordan river has bodies floatin',
But you tell me over and over and over again my friend,
Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction.

Barry McGuire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfZVu0alU0I

A direct result from the policy of fear usa and trumpy are so extremely fond of. If the americans believe all that BS coming from their orange idiot, that is fine by me, I strongly hope (and expect!) that Europe is smarter...

6 hours ago, Thainesss said:

No we don’t. 

Although it is difficult to determine what Tug is referring to since there are no references in his post, I did find some similar percentage numbers, they were however from 2015, and the percentage was 54%, I think those numbers were owned by the previous administration, the link listed below supports Tugs numbers, it is just not current.

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/campaigns/military-spending-united-states/

UsGovernmentspending.com puts current defense spending at 21% and according to them pensions and healthcare are both more expensive than defense. Below is a link to their chart, and I do not know how credible they really are or what formula was used.

https://www.usgovernmentspending.com/us_fed_spending_pie_chart

To further complicate matters Our FBI and Homeland Security are also carried as National Defense spending.

So until the time comes when Tug provides us with some references supporting his statement you are indeed correct making yours.

4 hours ago, CaptRon2 said:

Although it is difficult to determine what Tug is referring to since there are no references in his post, I did find some similar percentage numbers, they were however from 2015, and the percentage was 54%, I think those numbers were owned by the previous administration, the link listed below supports Tugs numbers, it is just not current.

54% of the total yearly “discretionary spending” is on Defence.

Discretionary spending is less than 1/3rd of the total yearly federal budget. 

Tug stated this:

12 hours ago, Tug said:

we spend 54%of our tax dollars on defense

And that is not even close to the same galaxy as the reality. 

The total federal budget in and of itself amounts to approximately $12,000 per person, per year. The whole federal budget. 

5 hours ago, CaptRon2 said:

you are indeed correct making yours.

I know. 

6 hours ago, JulesMad said:

A direct result from the policy of fear usa and trumpy are so extremely fond of. If the americans believe all that BS coming from their orange idiot, that is fine by me, I strongly hope (and expect!) that Europe is smarter...

I wouldn't bet on Europe, they've had plenty of arguments amongst themselves for centuries now.

1 hour ago, tabarin said:

I don't know what they are talking about but we are not concerned about the Russians or Iran at all in Europe. 
It are the people sitting in Brussel who say that, not the people from Europe.

Those in Europe not concerned about the Russians? Tell that to the Finns, Poles, Lithuanians, Estonians, and Latvians.

1 hour ago, tabarin said:

I don't know what they are talking about but we are not concerned about the Russians or Iran at all in Europe. 
It are the people sitting in Brussel who say that, not the people from Europe.

The people sitting in Brussels aren't the ones buying arms. These would be European governments. That's one reason each spends so much, by the way. Buying bulk and embracing standardization would bring costs down, but for obvious political reasons, unlikely to happen any time soon.

Neither Iran or Russia are a threat to EU or in conflict with EU.  if anything scaremongering by either arms dealers or US to make some sales.

No doubt India and turkey deals switching over to Russian made arms is a main or one of main contributors 

35 minutes ago, BestB said:

Neither Iran or Russia are a threat to EU or in conflict with EU.  if anything scaremongering by either arms dealers or US to make some sales.

No doubt India and turkey deals switching over to Russian made arms is a main or one of main contributors 

Russia Not A Threat To EU, Says Pro-Russian Poster.

:coffee1:

6 hours ago, Morch said:

Russia Not A Threat To EU, Says Pro-Russian Poster.

Besides the usual hysteria do tell what threat Russia posses to EU?

also do tell what threat Iran posses to EU?

22 hours ago, Tug said:

Not surprising with Donald destabilizing nato a sad fact here in the USA is we spend 54%of our tax dollars on defense and we aren’t inguaged in a major war 

LOL, where did you get that from, RT or CNN?  You make a few mistakes between discretionary vs total spending and income vs total tax dollars, etc. Here is an example how CNN also tried to deceive and they only got 27% military spending, yours must be RT or Iran. 

https://blogs.sas.com/content/sastraining/2014/04/22/how-are-your-tax-dollars-spent-lets-graph-it/#prettyPhoto

15 hours ago, CaptRon2 said:

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/campaigns/military-spending-united-states/

UsGovernmentspending.com puts current defense spending at 21% and according to them pensions and healthcare are both more expensive than defense. Below is a link to their chart, and I do not know how credible they really are or what formula was used.

https://www.usgovernmentspending.com/us_fed_spending_pie_chart

To further complicate matters Our FBI and Homeland Security are also carried as National Defense spending.

So until the time comes when Tug provides us with some references supporting his statement you are indeed correct making yours.

I looked more and can’t seem to find an answere so are you implying Donald cut defense spending?

31 minutes ago, rabas said:

LOL, where did you get that from, RT or CNN?  You make a few mistakes between discretionary vs total spending and income vs total tax dollars, etc. Here is an example how CNN also tried to deceive and they only got 27% military spending, yours must be RT or Iran. 

https://blogs.sas.com/content/sastraining/2014/04/22/how-are-your-tax-dollars-spent-lets-graph-it/#prettyPhoto

As has already been pointed out the figure was for discretionary spending. And maybe you should take a closer look that that pie chart you link to.

total_federal_spending

Apparently, the author of it believes that interest payments on the national debt are discretionary spending. That amounts to 251 billion. The next biggest discretionary expense by far is on veterans at 161 billion. I know that the Pentagon has managed by a feat of accounting fantasy to have those costs removed from their books.  You subscribe to that fiction? 

So, if you subtract interest payments from discretionary spending you get a total of 1328.6 billion. If you lump together military spending and veteran spending you get a total of 809 billion. So the real percentage of discretionary spending on the military is 61%. 

55 minutes ago, BestB said:

Besides the usual hysteria do tell what threat Russia posses to EU?

also do tell what threat Iran posses to EU?

What "usual hysteria"? Was that just the usual attempt to discredit an opposing point of view? Is your contention that European governments are all wrong? All clueless? All duped by the USA?

European governments see Russia meddling in elections, brazenly carrying out assassinations on their soil, Russian interventions in neighboring countries, Russia developing new nuclear arms. They take note of Russia's stance toward unifying efforts and forces (and vice versa).

And they arrive at different conclusions than those you offer. Thankfully, they aren't blind or blinkered much.

As for Iran, didn't comment on that - not sure how one relates to the other. Iran is not a direct threat to Europe, but it might evolve to be one. That's part of the reason Europeans got invested and involved with the JCPOA. That's also why European governments generally support curbing Iran's ballistic missile program, and Iran's regional efforts.

6 minutes ago, Morch said:

What "usual hysteria"? Was that just the usual attempt to discredit an opposing point of view? Is your contention that European governments are all wrong? All clueless? All duped by the USA?

European governments see Russia meddling in elections, brazenly carrying out assassinations on their soil, Russian interventions in neighboring countries, Russia developing new nuclear arms. They take note of Russia's stance toward unifying efforts and forces (and vice versa).

And they arrive at different conclusions than those you offer. Thankfully, they aren't blind or blinkered much.

As for Iran, didn't comment on that - not sure how one relates to the other. Iran is not a direct threat to Europe, but it might evolve to be one. That's part of the reason Europeans got invested and involved with the JCPOA. That's also why European governments generally support curbing Iran's ballistic missile program, and Iran's regional efforts.

EU governments have no problems with Russia and enjoyed great relationship until USA said otherwise.

The only one with problems is UK but then again, soon to be out of EU

EU governments also supported previous deal with Iran and supported keeping it and even now reluctant to put blame on Iran 

OP and my post which you nicely edited both mentioned threat of Iran 

so once again besides the usual hysteria and you said so, what threat has either one posses to EU ?

22 minutes ago, BestB said:

EU governments have no problems with Russia and enjoyed great relationship until USA said otherwise.

The only one with problems is UK but then again, soon to be out of EU

EU governments also supported previous deal with Iran and supported keeping it and even now reluctant to put blame on Iran 

OP and my post which you nicely edited both mentioned threat of Iran 

so once again besides the usual hysteria and you said so, what threat has either one posses to EU ?

You say "no problems" and "great relationship". Europeans governments do not seem to agree. NATO was not disbanded, and European governments supported the UK's complaints against Russia (not that this episode was limited to the UK, even). Unless you are trying to cast all Europeans governments as being the USA's puppets, "until the USA said otherwise" is meaningless.

European governments are reluctant to put a blame on Iran how? The JCPOA is in place precisely because blame was put on Iran. The inspections regime is in place precisely because Iran is not trusted to carry out obligations in good faith. As far as I'm aware, European governments do see Iran's ballistic program as a possible future threat and as a destabilizing factor in the Middle East, and the same holds for Iran's various regional interventions.

Did not edit any of your posts. Don't see how that you "mentioned threat of Iran" is relevant. My initial comment was focused on the Russia angle.

Several issues relating to Russia (and to a much lesser degree, Iran) being considered a threat by European governments were included in my posts.

4 minutes ago, Morch said:

You say "no problems" and "great relationship". Europeans governments do not seem to agree. NATO was not disbanded, and European governments supported the UK's complaints against Russia (not that this episode was limited to the UK, even). Unless you are trying to cast all Europeans governments as being the USA's puppets, "until the USA said otherwise" is meaningless.

European governments are reluctant to put a blame on Iran how? The JCPOA is in place precisely because blame was put on Iran. The inspections regime is in place precisely because Iran is not trusted to carry out obligations in good faith. As far as I'm aware, European governments do see Iran's ballistic program as a possible future threat and as a destabilizing factor in the Middle East, and the same holds for Iran's various regional interventions.

Did not edit any of your posts. Don't see how that you "mentioned threat of Iran" is relevant. My initial comment was focused on the Russia angle.

Several issues relating to Russia (and to a much lesser degree, Iran) being considered a threat by European governments were included in my posts.

Again besides you said so , what is Russian and Iranian threat to EU.

7 minutes ago, BestB said:

Again besides you said so , what is Russian and Iranian threat to EU.

Mentioned in my posts.

And, obviously, it's not me "saying so", but how European governments see things.

6 hours ago, BestB said:

Got ya, because you said so then it must be so????

You need to start reading OP's before posting:

Many European nations have increased military spending since Russia's annexation of the Crimea region of Ukraine in 2014...

24 minutes ago, Morch said:

You need to start reading OP's before posting:

You right , reading is the key . 

US arms makers see booming European demand as threats multiply.

Followed by mentioning Iran and Russia .

So tell me again.what threats multiplied and how either one became a threat and since Iran and Russia mentioned. That means just that Iran and Russia 

16 minutes ago, BestB said:

You right , reading is the key . 

US arms makers see booming European demand as threats multiply.

Followed by mentioning Iran and Russia .

So tell me again.what threats multiplied and how either one became a threat and since Iran and Russia mentioned. That means just that Iran and Russia 

I've already addressed this on several posts. A quote from the OP was provided.

You seem bent on ignoring it all and keep up the denials.

4 minutes ago, Morch said:

I've already addressed this on several posts. A quote from the OP was provided.

You seem bent on ignoring it all and keep up the denials.

If you say so, not that any of it was factual or relevant besides your “ I said so” but carry on????

Archived