New Car for Retirement

New Car for Retirement

Am coming up to retiring shortly and have planned to buy a New Vehicle
What are peoples thoughts on exactly what to buy ?

I have a Fortuner now, its my 5th one, Like them and they have never let me down.

But, Once retired my annual mileage maybe 5000 Kms Per Year Maximum, it really would only be used for shopping and trips to Golf

I have not really set a budget as such, but would go to maybe 2,000,000 but having said that if I found what I thought the right vehicle it would not matter if it was much less

Interested in peoples thoughts on what to buy as would intend to keep it forever (within reason) and not be changing every few years as I have done previously.

My thought process has changed dramatically thinking about this, From another New Fortuner, then the opposite scale a New Toyota CHR, or even an older BMW 525D with the 3 litre engine that goes forever

• Like 1

Budget - 2MB 

Something which can fit a set of clubs in the boot (trunk)

New or Second hand

Large or small

4x4 or Sedan

That leaves an awful lot of options.

If cars are your thing, have a little fun, visit the dealerships, check out what floats your boat... 

When choosing a car I used to enjoy scrolling through one2car.com to get an idea of what's available (new and second hand) and what the prices are like. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I think you have answered your own question. You have had 5 Tunas and NEVER had a problem, so why not just keep with them. For your monies you can get the new TRD 2.8 4x4 fully loaded and still have lots of cash over. Loads of room for your golf clubs and shopping. 

There are times when we sit back and think what do I really need...We did, don't need a big thing to lug around ...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

But you don't live in Pattaya. Don't know if you had noticed but Pattaya like BKK is FULL of traffic. Coming out of a big lump and going into something like you/your wife now has would be a real shock. All you would see is bumpers and big lumps around you.

Besides things have improved since your late Pick up days and they now drive far better. The OP has not retired yet so he can handle a big lump. for hopefully another 20 years.

I'm no chicken and I wouldn't change from my Tuna to something small. The older you get the more comfort you want. I have just been back to the UK and the mid size lump I hired felt like driving a go cart.

It was a real pleasure picking up my big Lump from the airport and driving the near 400km back home and in comfort.

There are many options on the table regarding comfort for the OP, and as regards being big is better I am not so sure, unless your talking about getting wiped out by a big truck..

The OP has had the Fortuners and wants a change, that is what his thread is about..

PS. I have a tiny Suzuki to tear around in, it's a blast, not only is it fast enough for me I can park it in the space of a couple of bikes...

14 minutes ago, transam said:

There are many options on the table regarding comfort for the OP, and as regards being big is better I am not so sure, unless your talking about getting wiped out by a big truck..

The OP has had the Fortuners and wants a change, that is what his thread is about..

PS. I have a tiny Suzuki to tear around in, it's a blast, not only is it fast enough for me I can park it in the space of a couple of bikes...

The OP has had 5 of those Tuna things so he must be happy with them. My estimation is if your happy with something why change. Just get the latest model.

Question when was the last time you went any distance in your new Suzuki. Last time I did any long trip in a small lump I got out the other end feeling my age. I grant you buzzing around in town might be fun. But in a place like Pattaya you would end up pulling your hair out.

N/B there is never anywhere to park a lump in Patts no matter how small it is. 

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

The OP has had 5 of those Tuna things so he must be happy with them. My estimation is if your happy with something why change. Just get the latest model.

Question when was the last time you went any distance in you new Suzuki. Last time I did any long trip in a small lump I got out the other end feeling my age. I grant you buzzing around in town might be fun. But in a place like Pattaya you would end up pulling your hair out.

N/B there is never anywhere to park a lump in Patts no matter how small it is. 

Last Wednesday went from Ubon to Mukdahan, 6 weeks back went from Ubon to Khon Kaen, which is a 5 hour drive..No ploblem and great on gas and the CVT does a great job too...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Last Wednesday went from Ubon to Mukdahan, 6 weeks back went from Ubon to Khon Kaen, which is a 5 hour drive..No ploblem and great on gas and the CVT does a great job too...

All I can say is that you must be small or had lot's of stops. As any small lump I have driven or been in the seats have come up to about half way up my back and I ended up with back ache. That goes for the seat swab as well.

I even found the swab on my Vigo didn't give me enough leg support. Much improved in the Tuna or any big lump as the seats are much bigger They also have a better hugging design.

If your happy with your new lump all credit to you, but I wouldn't be impressed.  

1 hour ago, br12stol said:

New C class 220d is nice, new BMW 3 series ( wait for local build )

The OP will just love shelling out two to three times more for servicing in his retirement.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, transam said:

If me I would stay well clear of a S/H BMW....

You have plenty of time and the cash...If me in your position I would probably go to motor shows to whittle stuff down, from there have a few test drives with those that ticked a few boxes..

What are your reasons for staying away from a S/H BMW ?

Honda Accord sedan. The OP might find he's getting too old to wrestle with truck tyres on a Fortuner, or having to climb in and out of one.

The Honda Accord a couple of years back was singled out in America as the vehicle with the best longevity in terms of odometer reading.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, transam said:

If me I would stay well clear of a S/H BMW....

Seconded! been there and done that, still have the bills to prove it! though I did get to drive through Pattaya as part of the Royal entourage, for some reason the "Police" thought I was part of it.

12 hours ago, cranki said:

How about the new Honda Civic RS ?? Not a bad looking car imo.

Looks nice and is quick ... NVH is quite bad and it's bumpy ... how do I know ...had one for two years and just sold it ...plus is that the RS has a full set of air bags and the 4-door has a huge boot

Thankyou all for the replies, many interesting thoughts
Have always liked BMW's but here they really are just too expensive, and although i fancy a nice 5 series, would not pay the new price and i guess by buying secondhand defeat the whole object of just one car for retirement, it really has to be new i think.
If money was no object would buy a Nice BMW or Audi, but the budget will not run to that (unless i knew i had only a few years left haha)
Have sort of looked at the Honda Civic, Plus the Toyota CHR both obviously smaller vehicles, the ultimate aim is not to downsize or upsize really, it is to find something reasonable that is easy to service and will last the years, Looked also at the New Volvo XC40 and 10 Years warranty ? (That may have been the XC60) But nearest dealer in Bangkok does not work for me.
and yes of course another Fortuner is also an option, but for whatever reason i do not really like the shape of this new one . .  i have one of the last TRD (Series 5 I think) January 2015 Registered, and the only reason i have not changed it yet is because i do not like the look of the new one . . . 

I think it is a good topic as would also apply to someone just coming here for retirement 

2 hours ago, pattayapip said:

Thankyou all for the replies, many interesting thoughts
Have always liked BMW's but here they really are just too expensive, and although i fancy a nice 5 series, would not pay the new price and i guess by buying secondhand defeat the whole object of just one car for retirement, it really has to be new i think.
If money was no object would buy a Nice BMW or Audi, but the budget will not run to that (unless i knew i had only a few years left haha)
Have sort of looked at the Honda Civic, Plus the Toyota CHR both obviously smaller vehicles, the ultimate aim is not to downsize or upsize really, it is to find something reasonable that is easy to service and will last the years, Looked also at the New Volvo XC40 and 10 Years warranty ? (That may have been the XC60) But nearest dealer in Bangkok does not work for me.
and yes of course another Fortuner is also an option, but for whatever reason i do not really like the shape of this new one . .  i have one of the last TRD (Series 5 I think) January 2015 Registered, and the only reason i have not changed it yet is because i do not like the look of the new one . . . 

I think it is a good topic as would also apply to someone just coming here for retirement 

Good update PP. But I think you should have at least a test drive in the new TRD Tuna. That's if there are any about. Albeit you don't like the style. The new 2.8 lump it has is a vast improvement on the last 3lt one also the new 6 speed box that's a dream. Added to the fact it now has 20" rims and low profile tyres makes for much better handling. It's also much better on fuel but that's down to the driver.

Hope you find what suites you best of luck.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

As I just answered to cranki's post, try the Honda Accord. Everything you would want in a nice sized car. Luxury, space, balls and style.

It is a nice looking Car, Plus the Misses likes it too which helps ????

43 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Good update PP. But I think you should have at least a test drive in the new TRD Tuna. That's if there are any about. Albeit you don't like the style. The new 2.8 lump it has is a vast improvement on the last 3lt one also the new 6 speed box that's a dream. Added to the fact it now has 20" rims and low profile tyres makes for much better handling. It's also much better on fuel but that's down to the driver.

Hope you find what suites you best of luck.

Very true, have not driven one, know you have had multiple Tunas as i have, was hoping a new generation might help, but seems nothing in the pipeline as yet