At 70 years old I’m looking for the antidote – Do you have it?

I would revise that to “Boredom is a killer in retirement “.

The location is probably irrelevant.

Agree. Go back to Blighty and problems might not disappear, they will however, just change (heating/ageism/violence/drugs related problems/cost of basic amenities, for example)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/26/2019 at 9:29 AM, geoffbezoz said:

You are as old as you feel.  Very true saying for most people. Which is exactly why you should have a GF/wife at least 40 to 50 years younger than yourself. Then when you feel her you feel young ????????

i agree 100%....my girlfriend 46 yrs younger, is great...i do everything possible to keep myself young...

she seems to have more aches and pains than me...life is great at 68yrs old....i do worry a little about how i will be in 10yrs time...not worried if the young girl leaves...there are many more 'fish' in the ocean...

• Like 2

Just MY experience.   About 10 years ago was not feeling well.  Thought what the hell, try an antidepressant that the doctor said could help.  Did not like the way i felt ( not "uplifted" like I thought might be).  Just kinda weird.  Took for one month and stopped.  Felt much better !  Took more than a month after stopping before i did not get dizzy when lying down.  (withdrawal ! )

Uplifting is what beer is for. Antidepressants creep up on you until about 6 months it dawns on you that you no longer worry about the small stuff

20 minutes ago, madmen said:
On 6/26/2019 at 11:41 AM, rumak said:
Just MY experience.   About 10 years ago was not feeling well.  Thought what the hell, try an antidepressant that the doctor said could help.  Did not like the way i felt ( not "uplifted" like I thought might be).  Just kinda weird.  Took for one month and stopped.  Felt much better !  Took more than a month after stopping before i did not get dizzy when lying down.  (withdrawal ! )

Uplifting is what beer is for. Antidepressants creep up on you until about 6 months it dawns on you that you no longer worry about the small stuff

yeah, i already got your point that you think antidepressants are useful and in no way would discourage you to not take all you want.     Please spare me any sermons as I don't agree with you and can read many positive as well as negative opinions on the mass use of these chemicals.

I have matured to the point where I no longer worry about the small stuff ..... or try to put my opinions down as facts.     From our friend google :

According to one study, doctors misdiagnosed almost two-thirds of patients with depression and prescribed unnecessary antidepressants.

Edited by rumak

I’m coming up on 72 still working full time in healthcare with some days more hectic than others but loving it. A wise man said that we at best are ‘unmiserable’. That’s when we forget ourselves and find cessation of our own self-inflicted miserablenesses by some kind of activity that we can love doing. Thank the Creator every day for the blessing of this job, of sharing and loving and being loved in return. And looking forward to spending time in my wife’s beautiful home land.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 6/28/2019 at 10:49 PM, Jip99 said:

I would revise that to “Boredom is a killer in retirement “.

The location is probably irrelevant.

Good friend is school Principal in Wisconsin.  She is not yet 60 but close.  This week she had 2 strokes and a heart attack.  She says job related.  I retired at 59 in Thailand.  Never bored one day.  

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:59 PM, rickudon said:

Apart from a couple of minor health scares back in my 40's, I was fairly healthy until I was nearly 65. Then had symptoms of pancreatitis (not usually good!) and mortality did stare me in the face. Main thoughts of how unfair it was as I was about to start drawing my state pension and would at last be able to stop penny pinching so as to lie within my means.

Luckily I recovered 95% but now have another possible issue  - skin cancer. Caught early and still waiting for final diagnosis (already removed) but of course survival not guaranteed. This time I have been more philosophical about it. I f I only have a couple of years left, so be it. I just need another couple of years to ensure my children are provided for.

Apart from that, I have my hobbies, never bored, I know I have more to do than I will ever have time for.

The State pension is worth more than what you were earning previously? Wow....sounds like a great scheme.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:20 PM, soalbundy said:

nI think, with the right number of bank notes, even a Thai doctor would give you a never never land injection. When I was a child I remember a conversation between my mother and grandmother. My grandfather had been sent home to die with stomach cancer, the doctor came every day to give him morphine injections as he was not only starving to death he had intense pain. My grandmother asked the doctor to increase the dosage but he replied that he was already giving him the maximum allowed, anymore would kill him. My grandmother said she looked the doctor in the eyes and just raised her eyebrows, after a few seconds hesitation he nodded, an hour later my grandfather was dead.

Not an uncommom practice but kept hush hush so to speak.. Mate of mine went the same way at 44 years old. 20 years ago in Australia. Belly up after the doc left the house.

Edited by emptypockets

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

The State pension is worth more than what you were earning previously? Wow....sounds like a great scheme.

No, that detail was left out. I was forced into Early retirement at 58, and was on about 850 GBP a month pension - not really enough. I topped up from savings but needed the state pension, otherwise i would have run out by 70. Mind you, with Brexit and falling exchange rates, not vastly better off now.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2019 at 4:31 PM, Jimlim said:

I agree about genetics, however I also believe people live longer because modern Healthcare system.  My mother is 80 y.o, Thai but been living in America with diabetes since her 50s.  She is managing her disease and could live at least 10+ more years, while all her siblings in Thailand died in their 50s because of diabetes.  Live life ..dont waste time thinking of death ????

i see and hear about diabetes why is it so common in Thailand ? i know so many Thai people with this

2 hours ago, Tomahawk21 said:

i see and hear about diabetes why is it so common in Thailand ? i know so many Thai people with this

It's a very common disease, but Thai people eat a lot of sticky rice.

3.7 million people in the UK have been diagnosed with it.

13 hours ago, rumak said:

According to one study, doctors misdiagnosed almost two-thirds of patients with depression and prescribed unnecessary antidepressants.

Is it misdiagnosis? If a person needs counselling, the Dr isn't going to pay for it, and the patient may not be able to. All that is left is medication.

Some problems are just not curable easily, and few people are happy to be told that their is nothing the Dr can do and go away. That's why Drs give antibiotics for colds or flue, when they don't work.

9 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Nonsense - your other posts don't reflect this view at all.

Not enough information to understand your point.

Since my wife ruined me financially and mentally, and I left  Thailand, I'm always sad , and just filling in time. Without family, there is little purpose in hanging around. I have friends, but not the sort I wake up with in the morning.

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

I retired to Thailand at 52 and would probably be dead if I had continued my employment into my 60's. Certainly a heart attack contender.

Pretty much stress free living in Thailand (and a bit in Europe) and I agree about never/rarely being bored.

Similar. My work made me insane. I left for a better, if poorer life.

Actually, I loved the work, but the managers were monsters.

• Like 2

The ageing surprises for me have been how vital and vivid I feel at young at my core... the negative is a feeling of vulnerability... I heal slower, ache more and fear a hospital visit... 

Best advice is keep healthy habits and be focused on the good - 

And, to a certain extent, relax and be prepared for the inevitable... 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not enough information to understand your point.

Since my wife ruined me financially and mentally, and I left  Thailand, I'm always sad , and just filling in time. Without family, there is little purpose in hanging around. I have friends, but not the sort I wake up with in the morning.

i always feel bad as well when you tell of your misfortune.   I admit I am curious.... but if you ever decide to give details of your experiences here on TV it might elicit some compassionate thoughts from other members.  Of course,  you must be willing to face the trolls as well   ????

On 6/25/2019 at 10:05 PM, marcusarelus said:

I used to write more and still have many things to share but I have stopped.  I don't like the criticism that writing brings.  One of my children says something or posts something on facebook incredibly stupid and I no longer even comment.  Why start a fight.  My wife does something outrageous and I just blow it off.  Old friends try to talk to me about Trump or some other idiot and I turn off my ears.  I take my dog for a walk and talk to her.  I watch the Thai people and that is an endless source of amusement.  I cook more.  I made the mistake of recommending a wine here and 4 people started a fight with me about my taste in wine.  No winning so why bother.  If I got depressed I'd talk to my doctor about some anti depressants - a lot of mild ones out there now.  My mom took some after her second stroke and she was nicer than she had been in her whole life - people could actually tolerate her and some even started liking her.   

Good, sound advice. Grow thicker skin! That is key to alot of woes that seem to affect the masses these days. Such sensitivity. Such soft, easily offended, PC type people out there, who are simply not comfortable within their own skins, and it manifests itself with the desire to pick a fight with anyone and everyone, for the silliest of reasons. Get over yourselves. Get out of your own way. There is alot to be enjoyed in life, and the focus on the negative prevents alot of that fulfillment from taking place.

Of course, I am guilty of complaining. But, I try not to make it personal, and try to not take it personally. It is more of an observational sort of thing. 

For many of us who are getting up there in years, it is strange to see people croaking and buying the farm all around us. Some at rather young ages. I am philosophical about it. When the Grim Reaper is ready for us, there is not much we can do. I do not allow my mind to fret over it. It is what it is. Reading philosophy and meditating seems to really help too. It is all about perspective. 

There are alot of things we can do to improve our well being. Eating well, exercising, maintaining a good attitude, maintaining some perspective on our lives, not getting too emotional about stuff we have no control over, pursuing your passions, and loving those around you. Also, for those over 60, I highly recommend a nutritional formula called Green Vibrance. It is the equivalent of 22nd century vitamins and minerals. I need less sleep, have more energy, a stronger libido, and better memory with it. It seems to be food for the brain. Which we need as we get older. It does have to be imported from abroad, but I believe it is available through iherb.

• Like 1