Johnson warns EU against any 'Napoleonic' tariffs in no-deal Brexit

snoop1130

9 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

So Johnson has finally bowed to public pressure and, no doubt reluctantly, agreed to participate.

Not really, as I recall he agreed to talk publically to Hunt on a televised debate, but only after the polling of members had started, Hunt wanted to debate the issues before the polling papers arrived between the 6-8 July, and Johnson didn't.

Seems this is a hollow victory for Hunt as this debate is still taking place after the voting slips have arrived and, more than likely, many will have already voted.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

"The decision to extend Article 50 was also approved by Parliament"

Link please.

House of Commons votes to seek Article 50 extension

21 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Not that I'm particularly bothered, as MPs have made it very clear that they are desperately searching for a BRINO that they can sell to the electorate ☹️.

You are, probably deliberately, forgetting that it is hard Brexit MPs like Rees-Mogg and his ERG who are largely responsible for the delay.

We had a deal which would probably have been acceptable to most of the electorate; Rees-Mogg and his cronies for their own reasons and Corbyn for party political ones blocked it.

The current Brexiteer hero, Boris Johnson, voted for it. At least until he saw which way the wind was blowing, and being the unabashed opportunist that he is, changed his mind; again.

As you may remember, I have argued several times that the deal be put to the electorate; you, along with most other Brexiteers here, have always argued against this.

7 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Not really, as I recall he agreed to talk publically to Hunt on a televised debate, but only after the polling of members had started, Hunt wanted to debate the issues before the polling papers arrived between the 6-8 July, and Johnson didn't.

Seems this is a hollow victory for Hunt as this debate is still taking place after the voting slips have arrived and, more than likely, many will have already voted.

So Johnson didn't want a public debate until many (most?) members had already voted.

I have to wonder why!

5 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

There's another debate/interview on ITV shortly & perhaps others too but they're unlikely to satisfy the other side or neuter their 'Coward' baloney.

44 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

That is true, or so I hear. The British public haven't, for some years, eaten quite a lot of the very high quality sea-food that is caught in British waters, sticking to traditional favourites. This is changing and will continue to though, as culinary and cultural tastes do shift over time. Moreover (post Brexit) we will have the chance to land a lot more of this cache of quality seafood and thus have the ability to introduce it to the British consumer once again.

'our fishermen who promptly decided it was easier to sell those to other EU fishermen' - this only happened because the UK government allowed itself to be emasculated by the CFP, allocating a large chunk of our national waters to continental fisherman - largely the French, so selling quotas is how many of these fisherman made their living, as the amount / specific stocks they were able to fish themselves had been drastically reduced and restricted to ensure foreign fishermen made a living fishing our waters. As the world's foremost maritime power for centuries - this to me seems an almost symbolic affront by the EU, one that should never have been allowed to happen. Look what it did to thousands of people who had before worked in a large and thriving industry employing large numbers in many coastal towns in the UK - especially the east and northeast of England and Scotland. 

'This may not be possible post a hard brexit and if it is will be subject to tariffs of around 35%' - this would simply mean that people on the continent would be paying that much more for their fish or importing it from elsewhere, but the former seems more likely given the tastes of those living in Europe, they have a prediliction for the fish caught in our waters. What's more is that French fish/seafood markets will have a much reduced supply from domestic fishing fleets, as fishermen from Charente to Normandy / Pas De Calais (after Brexit) will have nearly 70% of their fresh fish catch taken away from them and handed back rightfully to our fishermen to export / sell within the UK. I for one hope that we see an ancient industry in our country return to it's former glory in the advent of Brexit. The CFP was a con from the very beginning -

'The CFP was hastily stitched together by the founding six member states just before the start of the accession negotiations with Denmark, Ireland, Norway and the UK. At a hastily arranged meeting on 30 June 1970, six hours before the date an agreement was reached on the principle of 'equal access' ... just two weeks after Edward Heath’s election victory triggered UK entry negotiations with the EU, and just six hours before the talks actually started. negotiations began, the agriculture ministers of the “six” adopted the principle of ‘equal access’ to EU waters. This meant that the principle of free access was an integral part of EU law - an arrangement which any then EU membership candidate had to accept. The timing was no accident. The waters of these four applicants contain well over 90 per cent of western Europe’s fish, some 80 per cent in seas controlled by Britain

Drake must be spinning in his grave! ????

"our fishermen who promptly decided it was easier to sell those to other EU fishermen' - this only happened because the UK government allowed itself to be emasculated by the CFP, allocating a large chunk of our national waters to continental fisherman - largely the French, so selling quotas is how many of these fisherman made their living, as the amount / specific stocks they were able to fish themselves had been drastically reduced and restricted to ensure foreign fishermen made a living fishing our waters."

????

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

A huge vote of confidence in the UK here from a Japanese giant. This story mysteriously went under the radar yesterday. Didn't see or hear of it in any of the mainstream media outlets. Yet they jump all over the negative stories around Japanese car manufacturing! ???? 

Japanese telecoms giant NTT has unveiled the launch of its new $11bn (£8.7bn) merged business, which will be headquartered in London.

NTT said it had considered a number of locations for its new headquarters before choosing London.

“It has many benefits, including a stable economy, wealth of skills and talent, diversity in population and thinking, strong infrastructure, schools and housing for global talent moving to the city,” said NTT president and chief executive Jun Sawada. 

https://www.cityam.com/ntt-launches-new-london-headquarters-after-mega-merger/

Not a lot will change, it is only a restructuring of 28 existing companies.

NTT said it has merged 28 of its companies, including NTT Communications, Dimension Data and NTT Security, to form one combined tech services provider.

The newly-formed firm, NTT Ltd, will employ more than 40,000 people in offices across more than 70 countries and regions, with headquarters in the City.

https://www.cityam.com/ntt-launches-new-london-headquarters-after-mega-merger/

It comes as other Japanese giants scale back their investments in the UK, with both Nissan and Honda choosing to move car production abroad.

Honda will close its factory in Swindon while Nissan has opted against building its X-Trail SUV at its Sunderland plant, choosing Singapore instead despite a government bid to offer it £60m in funding.

https://www.cityam.com/japanese-telecoms-giant-ntt-group-set-pick-london-host/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, evadgib said:
43 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I would have thought you Brexiteers would be grateful to Miller. After all, without her case Article 50 would have been triggered via prerogative powers, May's deal would not have been debated, let alone voted on, in Parliament and we would have left the EU on those terms last March.

Yes, her case did receive more coverage at the time; much of it due to the racist abuse and threats of violence directed at her and her solicitor by Brexiteers!

Update on the Brexit Court Case

A reminder that;

a) This is being stifled by MSM therefore cannot be located via the usual channels &

b  ) Address the content rather than the speaker/author or the person presenting it to the board in any reply.

A recently declassified D Notice from the 1970s makes very interesting reading and is in the bundle filed with this appeal a few days ago.

Any chance of you addressing the points I raised in the post you quoted?

18 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes, I would expect every E.U. Country to respect the UK electorates votes and to reject the UK Governments request for an extension

Quite delusional, the EU is negotiating with the elected government of the UK, not a people's republic.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Standing for an anthem whether a school's an organisation's, a country's, an international union or any other group is not a matter of intimidation, it's a mark of respect. That you would refuse to show that respect is your choice. But I wonder how you would feel if foreigners disrespected the UK in such a manner.

As for the Brexit party's protest, I still believe that a more appropriate and meaningful protest would have been for them not to have turned up at all.

But, of course, that would have meant each of them losing tens of thousands of pounds in MEP salary and expenses; plus losing out on their MEP pension and redundancy money when Brexit finally happens.

I'm sure their leader, Farage, has educated each and everyone of them in how to get the most cash, paid by the British taxpayer, out of the European Parliament for the absolute minimum of effort. Something he's an expert at having been doing it for years.

"Standing for an anthem whether a school's an organisation's, a country's, an international union or any other group is not a matter of intimidation, it's a mark of respect."

Very true, so how does one best behave when one has little or no respect for the institution?  I would suggest by remaining seated.  Of course as children (hence my point re. the 'school song'), we didn't have that choice - unless we were (likely) happy to be expelled.....

"But I wonder how you would feel if foreigners disrespected the UK in such a manner."

Examples please.  If they refused to stand up for the national anthem - no problem at all, as I can't see the point either!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

A huge vote of confidence in the UK here from a Japanese giant. This story mysteriously went under the radar yesterday. Didn't see or hear of it in any of the mainstream media outlets........

Being financial news, you would usually only find it in papers like City AM or on the financial pages of the broadsheets.

Indeed, The Financial Times, among many others, reported on this last April!

I do realise, of course, that you Brexiteers like to believe that the MSM in the UK is censoring all news when it comes to Brexit. Those of use who live in the UK know this belief to be the complete and utter pony it is.

7 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"Standing for an anthem whether a school's an organisation's, a country's, an international union or any other group is not a matter of intimidation, it's a mark of respect."

Very true, so how does one best behave when one has little or no respect for the institution?  I would suggest by remaining seated.  Of course as children (hence my point re. the 'school song'), we didn't have that choice - unless we were (likely) happy to be expelled.....

The best way to show little or no respect for the institution would be to not attend.

But, as repeatedly pointed out, by doing that they would lose large wads of cash.

8 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"But I wonder how you would feel if foreigners disrespected the UK in such a manner."

Examples please.  If they refused to stand up for the national anthem - no problem at all, as I can't see the point either!

You want examples of a hypothetical question? (You do know what 'if' means, I assume.)

OK, you have no problem with people disrespecting your countries anthem and by association your country. I do, but then I'm a patriot.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, evadgib said:
37 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Any chance of you addressing the points I raised in the post you quoted?

Did you not understand #777 ?

I understand that yet again you refuse to give a straight answer to a straight question.

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Why don't you step up? Take on Boris or the other guy?

That’s is just absolute nonsense. And not very original as two posters have said the same thing before. 

I chose my career and in it I do not act like a coward and avoid difficult questions, meetings, facing those who may be hostile to my way of thinking. 

20 minutes ago, evadgib said:

This persistent yawn-a-thon brings nothing new to the board.

Neither do your posts on the subject. Banal rhetoric that contributes nothing to the conversation (see your quoted post.)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, evadgib said:

(HOW) Did you not understand #777?

I do not understand the comparison of Miller against the Art 50 extension.

It was Parliaments wish to extend Art 50 . Expressed by the debate and votes on the 14th March

The government was simply enacting the wish of Parliament.

Parliament had also previously gave a minister the power to alter the exit date by SI. 

The Miller case was of fundamental constitution law. 

50 minutes ago, petemoss said:

Neither do your posts on the subject. Banal rhetoric that contributes nothing to the conversation (see your quoted post.)

Here's a Mirror (but to avoid the 'off topic' brigade i've included Boris ???? )

Image result for daily mirror johnson

3 hours ago, 7by7 said:
21 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

A huge vote of confidence in the UK here from a Japanese giant. This story mysteriously went under the radar yesterday. Didn't see or hear of it in any of the mainstream media outlets........

Being financial news, you would usually only find it in papers like City AM or on the financial pages of the broadsheets.

If this is the case, why are the financial stories about companies moving away from the UK so widely reported in the main news channels?