Welcome to Thailand - and welcome to immigration queues!

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Pardon?? I just coming back from Hong Kong without any que and without any hassle.

Try Google, mate.  10 fingers in the US, Canada...... Hell I'm not going to do it for you.

Hong Kong have been using facial recognition.  Fingerprint scanners are used for registered users in e-channels and will be used elsewhere.

Basically from what I was taught if you’ve never traveled abroad using a passport then you’re not in anyone’s biometrics database. But you are definitely in the biometrics databases for any country you have ever traveled to even across land border crossings. But like I said my biometrics class was back in 2006 and I retired in 2014 so I have no idea what biometrics technology might be like today behind the scenes. I used to know how biometrics worked behind the scenes but that was a long time ago and like I said technology advances very quickly these days so I’m sure at least some of the biometrics knowledge I had is probably obsolete by now. But I still know some stuff about it because there are some aspects of it that can’t change anytime soon.

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

What if you're Yakuza or postman pat?

Then you show the IO the lack of finger.  Same as if you have a finger bandaged.  Not rocket science for those of us who can read the instructions on the scanner. 

By the way the instructions are in your passport language and the process is done concurrently with the IO checking and stamping your passport.  In my experience it has added no time at all to the process unless you are standing behind an illiterate.  It is them holding you up,  no the scanner as such. 

I flew into Swampy yesterday afternoon.  No great queues.

Does this apply for Thai's, surely their biometric data is stored in their passports?

It applies to everyone in the world who travels on a regular tourist passport. Any country you’ve ever traveled to everyone is in their biometrics database regardless of nationality as long as you’ve actually traveled abroad. I recall that if you are traveling on an official government passport or a Diplomatic passport then that’s not going to be logged into most country’s biometrics databases, but I’ve been out of the game for years so for all I know that may have changed by now I’m not sure

No problems they taking finger print. But why all ten fingers? The thumb and ringfinger is nuff. Anywhay. There are scaners where you just put the hole hand down. Guess they didnt pay for that...?

No problems they taking finger print. But why all ten fingers? The thumb and ringfinger is nuff. Anywhay. There are scaners where you just put the hole hand down. Guess they didnt pay for that...?

It’s not a conspiracy against anyone or any nationality it’s just modern border security technology simple as that most of the world is using biometrics technology and I assure you that the technology will continue to improve and change over time

44 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

What a ridiculous over reaction, "dehumanisation", oh please. Look we live in a world with a rapidly increasing population and International travel becoming the norm. Human trafficking is a global issue (true dehumanising if you ask me) and a constant security risk looms over us all with crazy terrorists. What choice do we all have but tighten up security? I assume you have lost no loved ones in any kind of terrorist attack or had any of your family kidnaped and trafficked into a life of drugs and/or prostitution. Well many have and I suspect if you did suffer such a terrible event in your family you would probably be singing a different tune. Its a changing world, get used to it and stop reading Aldous Huxley novels if it takes away your ability to think logically for yourself.

Besides, Boeing will probably kill you anyway.

Im sorry. This is a rant. It all just gets worse and worse, fingerprints, a thai mobile SIM must be registered, arrival card ,completed, TM 30 reporting, 90 day reporting,  crazy tobacco smoking laws, clearing the streets of street food vendors ( the very essence of Thailand) bars being forced to close at 12 or 1 a.m. state paranoia and control in my view, whilst illegal and lethal yabba, crystal meth is easily available, illegal gambling going on everywhere, half the population seems to be addicted to alcohol, drugs or gambling or all three, about which they do virtually nothing. LoS? 

14 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Then you show the IO the lack of finger.  Same as if you have a finger bandaged.  Not rocket science for those of us who can read the instructions on the scanner. 

By the way the instructions are in your passport language and the process is done concurrently with the IO checking and stamping your passport.  In my experience it has added no time at all to the process unless you are standing behind an illiterate.  It is them holding you up,  no the scanner as such. 

I flew into Swampy yesterday afternoon.  No great queues.

Mine wasn't a serious post by the way.

However if you were missing a finger and looking at the scanner shown in the OP and some I have used they need to read all before clearing you unless there is a way to instruct the scanner to ignore the missing digit.

10 minutes ago, Bendi said:

As has been mentioned earlier, all ten fingers maintains the identity even if fingers were 'lost'.  Not sure if that is the reason but does make sense.

8 hours ago, Eligius said:

This scanning of our fingerprints is so disgusting. For most of my life - decades and decades - it has always been only CRIMINALS who have their fingerprints taken.

Now the sheep all think it is perfectly acceptable for us all to be herded and monitored and branded. 

I will never agree with this insane Orwellian system of fake 'security' obsession and psychotic control-freakery - when the real monsters (yes, monsters) are the criminals in high places (the less than 1%) who are running the whole filthy show.

I couldn't agree more. It takes Herculean restraint to get through airport security. To the extent that I choose not to fly if I have a choice. I am confident that the day of reckoning for the monsters is not far off.

Im sorry. This is a rant. It all just gets worse and worse, fingerprints, a thai mobile SIM must be registered, arrival card ,completed, TM 30 reporting, 90 day reporting,  crazy tobacco smoking laws, clearing the streets of street food vendors ( the very essence of Thailand) bars being forced to close at 12 or 1 a.m. state paranoia and control in my view, whilst illegal and lethal yabba, crystal meth is easily available, illegal gambling going on everywhere, half the population seems to be addicted to alcohol, drugs or gambling or all three, about which they do virtually nothing. LoS? 

I was at two bars last night in Korat and my wife and I were there till 3AM. I did notice that the foreigner or farang bar did close at midnight but the good Japanese place was open all night and they had one hell of a good selection of imported beers from all over I even tried some new beer last night from Holland.

This scanning of our fingerprints is so disgusting. For most of my life - decades and decades - it has always been only CRIMINALS who have their fingerprints taken.

Now the sheep all think it is perfectly acceptable for us all to be herded and monitored and branded. 

I will never agree with this insane Orwellian system of fake 'security' obsession and psychotic control-freakery - when the real monsters (yes, monsters) are the criminals in high places (the less than 1%) who are running the whole filthy show.

"it has always been only CRIMINALS who have their fingerprints taken."

Talking about criminals, how long before the scanning of fingerprints when doing a 90 day

report at immigration? 

If it stopped a suicide bomber getting on your plane you would be thankful.

8 hours ago, Genmai said:

People who think like this tend to not realize just how much of our 'private' information is in the public domain already or available for sale to third parties. Nothing you can do about it. Personally if it means a reduced chance of actual criminals getting in and living among us then I'm all for it. Whatever privacy concerns I may have are outweighed by the benefits of living in a safer society. It's more an issue of sloppy implementation that's the problem here. Lines not managed, forms nowhere to be found, staff picking their noses and eating soup on a chair, gross scanners never cleaned, pens covered in scotch tape with the germs of 10000 travelers, IO taking their sweet time, etc. Thailand should really take notes from Japan where this system has been in place for many years.

Your missing the point entirely.

3 hours ago, dendijk said:

And exactly how safe are our privacy details in the hand of this government?

How sure can we be they are not storing them on a few 'floppy drives' and leave them laying around somewhere. The data might be easily accessible to hackers. When in the wrong hands such data could be 'framing' you for anything in the future.

But thankfully we can rest assured. This is the Thai government so we need not worry about anything ????

Don't think anyone or government use floppys any more,  they are found at  Soi6

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

Yes. There are some serfs who will gladly do whatever the Authorities order them to do 'for their own safety and protection'.

If the Authorities at the airports in future say: 'Right, you must urinate into this bucket, defecate into this tray - and ejaculate into this phial - so that we can identify that it really is you and not a terrorist' - loads of idiots would actually think this was all for their own good, and would happily and eagerly comply. Some people just LOVE being slaves. 'Nothing to fear if you've done nothing wrong'. Oh, pleaaase! Nothing to worry about? In lands that have no democracy or human rights - only the law of Might is Right? No risk, no dangers there? Of course - everything the Authorities demand is purely to 'protect the public'. We can trust the wise and benign Authorities. They know best. We must comply, kowtow, get down on our knees, grovel in the dust and dirt. Come on - we want more degradation and humiliation - don't stop with fingerprints and all the rest. Degrade and criminalise us even further. We love it!

The only 'good' all this nonsense serves is to build the prison walls tighter and tighter around us all - while the 1% who control it all are laughing at our utter stupidity, gullibility, and cowardice.

You are absolutely correct! Just be aware that all this will start very subtly in the developed part of this planet.

I'm affraid none of you guys got it right. This queue was organizdd by TAT to take pics of the millions of tourists arriving in Thailand after the marvellous job done by them after the drop in numbers they announced early this week. Next week we will get an official info saying everything is back to a very positive trend...or else

19 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

If it stopped a suicide bomber getting on your plane you would be thankful.

Pointless.  The chances of there being one suicide bomber on a plane is negligible.  The chances of there being two is infinitesimally small.  That's why I always carry my own bomb.

Japan has mandatory finger print entries. Refuse and you don't enter the country. Not all fingers but one index finger.

Yes, almost every country in the world does it and iris scanning as well it’s called biometrics screening almost every country in the world has been doing it for years now. Oh and by the way I forgot to mention in my above posts about iris scanning that actually means scanning your retina in your eye if anyone didn’t already know that. You know when you’re going through immigration and you have to look into that little camera lens well that thing isn’t just taking your picture it’s also scanning your retina in your eye. That’s why it’s called biometrics screening and yes of course they take your fingerprints as well obviously. It’s just the way border security all over the world is these days it’s just technology it’s the way of the world now and it has been for a while now you’d think people would be used to it by now

10 minutes ago, Mel52 said:

You know when you’re going through immigration and you have to look into that little camera lens well that thing isn’t just taking your picture it’s also scanning your retina in your eye.

At Swampy?

Archived