Welcome to Thailand - and welcome to immigration queues!

Jonathan Fairfield

"It's designed to help keep Thailand secure"!!!? All the crooks, gangsters and mafia already live in Thailand,

the tourists just want to visit the beautiful Land of Smile.

Quote: if you own a gun you can rob a bank but if you own a bank you can rob everyone.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember the old days when my wife,son & myself would fly in from the UK, there was always big queues at the non Thai Passport holders line but they would let me use the Thai passport holders line as my wife & son are Thai so it would take less than 10 minutes, but now what would happen my wife & son would have to wait 1 hour or more for me, taken that we have had a long fight 11 hours + then do all this, then have to go to IO the next day for my wife to report that I am staying at the house that I built from money from the UK which is an investment for Thailand & money for the village people who helped build the house, All of this is very silly & I would like to see how they would feel being treated like this, I know live in Thailand but as time moves on the more I will look to move to another country & will not be coming back here anymore, I feel sorry for my wife's Thai friends in the UK when they come on holiday & have to do all this with there non Thai children/husband I don't see them coming back to Thailand anymore for holidays plus when I spoke to them they feel that Thailand does not want Non Thai's staying here for a long time or to settle down so they are having to change their plans & sell the land they have brought to build on when they get old as they feel they will have problems with their non Tha children & husbands, I hope the Thai Government understand what they are doing to their own people living in the UK. 

Not even my own country has my fingerprints. Why would Thailand need them. A passport is still a valid document to travel and enter countries with.

As it stands, Thai immigtation needs about two minutes just to process a single passenger, and now they need even more time. To absolutely no end. Stop with this biometric nonsense

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Not even my own country has my fingerprints. Why would Thailand need them. A passport is still a valid document to travel and enter countries with. As it stands, Thai immigtation needs about two minutes just to process a single passenger, and now they need even more time. To absolutely no end. Stop with this biometric nonsense

Non resident alien tourists have been supplying their fingerprints every time they enter the US via an airport for at least the past ten years. Singapore led the way in SE Asia. Travelers to both Australia and the UK need to supply biometric data to get a simple tourist visa. This is the modern world - get used to it

6 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Non resident alien tourists have been supplying their fingerprints every time they enter the US via an airport for at least the past ten years. Singapore led the way in SE Asia. Travelers to Australia need to supply biometric data to get a simple tourist visa. This is the modern world - get used to it

Maybe it is time we as subjects are not just getting used to it, but actively oppose this utter nonsense. It doesn't make any of us any safer, and is a gross invasion of privacy among others. And.. it is of course utterly useless, as it is easy to circumvent. Pray tell what is Thailand going to do with my fingerprints, I could be a nasty criminal already, they would not even know, as they haven't got my prints yet.... and Neither does any other country.

23 hours ago, shady86 said:

Thai Immigration at their finest. Getting people queue and wait. Time has no value here. 

Yes. At this rate they'll be challenging Kuala Lumpur (KUL) for the longest inbound immigration line gold medal.

Amusing Thailand. As they continue to try and emerge from a 3rd world country they keep slipping backwards. Immigration queue's at Swampy all these years later are worse now than they were at DMK 20 years ago

21 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

What a ridiculous over reaction, "dehumanisation", oh please. Look we live in a world with a rapidly increasing population and International travel becoming the norm. Human trafficking is a global issue (true dehumanising if you ask me) and a constant security risk looms over us all with crazy terrorists. What choice do we all have but tighten up security? I assume you have lost no loved ones in any kind of terrorist attack or had any of your family kidnaped and trafficked into a life of drugs and/or prostitution. Well many have and I suspect if you did suffer such a terrible event in your family you would probably be singing a different tune. Its a changing world, get used to it and stop reading Aldous Huxley novels if it takes away your ability to think logically for yourself.

Actually, this is exactly what terrorist are after, the sheer fear that is displayed here is astonishing. Let's make a police state whilst we are at it. It is all a matter of using logic and brains. the chance of you (or me) dying in traffic is many, many times bigger than the chance of you or me dying due to a terrorist attack, yet to date, I haven't seen any evidence that we suddenly stop transporting ourselves. Why should this be any different ? These kind of measure do not really enhance security, the bad guys just laugh and explore other means. Most human trafficking isn't being done via international airports. Thailand's border with Lao and Cambodia is just like a sponge, and the notion that this enhances security is laughable. 

I get sick and tired of the terrorist attack fear bullshit. I for one am willing to take this small risk. I so hope people start using their brains, instead of using their illogical fear to whitewash nonsense like this. For <deleted> sake, even android's fingerprint scanner doesn't work half of the time ! 

On 6/28/2019 at 10:20 AM, saigonsunset said:

Question is why do they need scans of four fingers right hand followed by four left hand followed by each the thumps where one thump scan should be plenty for indentification? Maybe they are afraid one might cut off that finger to commit heinous crimes undetected while in Thailand?

LOL.  Maybe it's to keep out those nine fingered members of the Japanese yakuza

21 hours ago, hotchilli said:

If it stopped a suicide bomber getting on your plane you would be thankful.

It wouldn't. The topic is about people entering Thailand, not about people trying to board a plane. Try to keep up. 

How do you figure a finger print scan, regardless of where it was scanned would stop a suicide bomber ? It wouldn't of course. 

23 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

Another idiot. You have less rights than a snail. I dont see the border patrol on the first snail that crosses the border? They don't need biometrics nor fingerprinting.

Even a dangerous crocodile can wander freely. If you want to give up your freedom then ok, don't expect me to do it also!

Thanks for the compliment,I wish you had to go to airport today and speak same like you write to officer there 55.You're response tells allot about you 're attitude, keep it going and you will end in an nice place I think.55

Being all knowledgeable as you say, you should know that eye scanners set up in airports are iris scanners, not retina scanners which are very different.  As I'm sure you know, a retina scanner involves sending a low power laser beam into your eye.  Retinal scans cannot be taken 'casually' as some have suggested.  They are usually taken through an eyepiece and take around 30 seconds.  An iris scanner on the other hand is a digital photograph of the eye which also cannot be taken 'casually' and takes a matter of seconds.  You would know if you'd had your iris scanned.  

Being the expert, correct me if I'm wrong and, if so, give me one airport that uses retinal scans on passengers.

Yes you’re wrong, and almost every airport in the world these days including most land border crossings and no I’m not an expert on the technicalities of the technology but I know it’s being used has been for close to 20 years around the world probably longer I had the training about it back in 2006 so I’m sure it’s drastically improved and upgraded by now

I can understand the complaints of long queues, but most people are homing in on the requirement to collect bio-metric data calling it 'an invasion of privacy'  'against human rights' etc.  Some people are suggesting 'we stand up to this practice'.

It's being used all over the world, in airports, in business, in schools.  Not only for security but registering for work (clock on clock off), to open doors, switch on/off machinery, gain access to information etc etc etc.

It's not going to go away.  People saying we should stand against it and stop it are living in 'cloud cuckoo' land.  

Thailand is not the first to use bio-metrics.  Used for years all over the world, the west included.

11 minutes ago, Mel52 said:

Yes you’re wrong, and almost every airport in the world these days including most land border crossings and no I’m not an expert on the technicalities of the technology but I know it’s being used has been for close to 20 years around the world probably longer I had the training about it back in 2006 so I’m sure it’s drastically improved and upgraded by now

I can find no evidence anywhere that airports use retinal scans on passengers.  Quite the opposite.  Iris scans are being used in many airports as it's not invasive and very fast.  There is plenty of information regarding iris scans at airports and also plenty of sites that state "Retinal scans are never used at airports".  The confusion lies in people confusing retina scans with iris scans.

I can find no evidence anywhere that airports use retinal scans on passengers.  Quite the opposite.  Iris scans are being used in many airports as it's not invasive and very fast.  There is plenty of information regarding iris scans at airports and also plenty of sites that state "Retinal scans are never used at airports".  The confusion lies in people confusing retina scans with iris scans.

Ok thank you.

Iris scanners retina scanners not much of a difference sorry I’m not an eye doctor man. [emoji23]

It’s a little lens thingy that scans your eye okay lol [emoji23] Like I said earlier I’m not much of a techy and I’m not an eye doctor either lol [emoji23]. But I can assure you that this biometrics technology is being used all over the world at almost all ports of entry. Iris scanner thanks can I make an appointment with you for an eye exam since you are the expert on eye balls lol.

5 minutes ago, Mel52 said:

Ok thank you.
Iris scanners retina scanners not much of a difference sorry I’m not an eye doctor man. emoji23.png

I was being polite before and trying to give you a way out, even mentioned the difference between retina and iris scanners. But enough of the bullshit please, you've been spreading misinformation on this thread posting around a dozen times you did a short course back in '06 and are some kind of expert on biometrics.

There is a huge difference between retina scanning and iris scanning which is why retina scanning is still rare only used in high security areas. 

You said the data was "in your passport", chips in smart passports from my country certainly do not have retina or iris scan data in them, there is no retina scan at Swampy and I'd be surprised if they have iris scanners even now with the new kit which hasn't changed other than add a fingerprint scanner.

Is this in use at Don Muang yet?

Yes it’s used all over the world has been for many years currently Thailand is just upgrading their current biometrics technology there’s been a lot of confusion about that on here some people think it’s something new because of the upgrading and because the news makes it sound like something new which is kind of just semantics. Biometrics screening technology is not a new thing it’s something that has been used for several years Thailand is just simply upgrading it with “new technology”. Just think of it like periodically upgrading the software on your smartphone I guess could be a good way to explain it

Just because it is becoming common doesn't mean we should agree with it.  

Facile argument.

It’s been common since at least as far back as after 9-11 it’s definitely not new I received training on biometrics screening technology at airports and ports of entry back in 2006 it’s not new it’s been common for close to or maybe longer than 20 years now. I’m not sure exactly what year biometrics screening technology made it’s debut but it’s been several years I know that for a fact

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

I can understand the complaints of long queues, but most people are homing in on the requirement to collect bio-metric data calling it 'an invasion of privacy'  'against human rights' etc.  Some people are suggesting 'we stand up to this practice'.

It's being used all over the world, in airports, in business, in schools.  Not only for security but registering for work (clock on clock off), to open doors, switch on/off machinery, gain access to information etc etc etc.

It's not going to go away.  People saying we should stand against it and stop it are living in 'cloud cuckoo' land.  

Thailand is not the first to use bio-metrics.  Used for years all over the world, the west included.

It IS an invasion of privacy. And in the case of Thailand there are serious concerns as to who can access all this data. Remember this is a country where hacks are very common and data is pretty likely to not be secure. 

The bottom line is very simple, according to Thailand's entry requirements, I need a valid passport, and that passport should be more then sufficient to ascertain my identity. 

As to being used all over the world, not at most airports I frequent (yet at least) and that's the whole point, if we swollow this without a fight, governments the world over will indeed start to do this nonsense. Look at Thailand as an example, from registration of something rudimentairy as a sim card, to this nonsense. It's simple, I come for a holiday, I have a passport, and the last thing I want to do is queue even more than I already have to, just because the powers that be have decided they need to scan 10 bloody fingerprints !

Over in Europe, the laws on privacy and storage of data is being tightened for companies, and now all of a sudden governments have a free reign ? <deleted>. 

40 minutes ago, Mel52 said:

I have a new rule I don’t argue with idiots online there’s really no point in it. I just ignore them now

Thanks for that.  I'll take your advice and ignore you.

These days you don't have to be an expert.  All the info is there for the taking. Regarding scanners, I looked at various airline and aviation sites along with medical sites.  As has been pointed out to you, retinal and iris scanning is a completely different technology.

I'll never purport to be an expert, but fortunately, I can read and understand!

Archived