Any stats avail on the number of expats returning home?

Kenny202

On 6/28/2019 at 1:36 PM, Small Joke said:

If blokes can hang in there, somehow, until the greatest economic world collapse in history happens (it is so tantalizingly close) and assuming China don't invade or the Thais don't kick out the U.S. base here, then immigration will be doing some reassessment, because tourism will fall off a cliff, for at least a decade. We can only hope.

The US base here? American military are long gone and forbidden to mingle with Thai girls due to court martial for sex trafficking. 

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The US base here? American military are long gone and forbidden to mingle with Thai girls due to court martial for sex trafficking. 

If only that were true.

There's plenty still living on past imaginary heroics in the bars of Pattaya,

• Haha 2

The changes are difficult if we dwell on them. I’m ok now at 65 not collecting the monies more SS yet ....sorry Social Security US yet 

but it’s in the pipeline.. Had a fare amount saved and stupidly pissed all well almost all away..  

I can still afford a couple of Dr. Peppers from the Import store up here in the Isaan. Living in the village house land all paid for and hoping the misses learns to hang on to it and enjoy it... 

but that might be a bit of work. She’s in BKK visiting one of her  ore than 3 boyfriends...  Yes I know and don’t give a hoot about it as long as it doesn’t cost me anything...

ok back on track .. I expect in the next year my business that is Sales Rep. Tied to one company their request long ago great money. But bought but a fortune 300 company .... they had a few 

companies like mine and they did away with the others ...replaced 

locally cheaper..

I’m the last Rep. standing .., when it goes away it will be a pinch and that’s when you have to find a resolve... Social Security will 

be too short for the new requirements... but 41 years in the same business Aerospace you’ve made a few friends and when you’re fairly good at want you do... pick up a little work to fill the gap.

i like it up here in the country would guess due to health the battery is running low.. so stick it out a s do what I came for 

retireish... new word just made it up... 

Have a great day everyday one hand on your wallet it’ll work out...

8 hours ago, jimn said:

Its not utter nonsense I am afraid to say. I spend 7 months in Thailand and 5 months in the UK. I am now in the UK and can confirm that the UK is cheaper for almost everything. The only things that are cheaper in Thailand is eating out, petrol and the Thai markets. The UK now has some high quality low cost supermarkets like Lidl and Aldi which sell excellent products. It has forced the large chains to compete. Beer and spirits are also cheap as is wine that is a crazy price in Thailand. Drinking out is cheaper especially Wetherspoons. Clothes are good value from Primark, H&M and Butons. This is all based on the really poor exchange rate. Of course if you work and keep your money in Thailand full time you will have a different view, but if you bring money in now especially from the UK, it is more expensive in Thailand.

Lidl,Aldi,

do not sell high quality products they sell ultra high processed food, factory farmed meat and chicken and their fruit and veg are of low quality a few bits and pieces are ok but as in all supermarkets you have to read the labels.Primark sells crap I don't really know about H&M or Burton's these days,but there are Great deals to be had on TVs because there is a lot of competition and you can get bottles of beer and cider at 3 for a fiver.It depends where in the UK your pub is try telling a Londoner that it's cheaper to drink out.If in Thailand you need to eat imported food and products then comparing the price with what you would pay in your home country will hurt and if you eat all your meals out and do your drinking in bars then it's expensive to live anywhere.A mango here will cost €2 I can get 4 or 5 for that in jomtien I don't buy mangoes here,a piece of cheese here say 400gram will cost €6 in Thailand double that I don't buy cheese in Thailand. 

14 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

I was at CW Wed. The place was packed. The side where they do extensions and work visas....every seat taken and lots of people standing.

Not sure when the exodus is suppose to take place...but it wasn't this week.

Maybe because, from what I am aware, June is the final month that embassy confirmation letters from US, UK AUS etc., can be used as confirmation of income.

3 hours ago, Dene16 said:

In the UK, especially for people returning, they will be virtually isolated, as apposed to an active social life in Thailand 

Indeedy, isolated and disillusioned with their culture that they no longer belong to. One can also become isolated in Muang Thai, of course, but it is just easier to meet folk from all walks of life or go out by oneself without giving it a second thought.

I think a significant amount have returned - high baht, kids in schools, visa hassles etc - plus Thailand has changed (grown up a bit) and perhaps not the escape haven it was just a few years ago even. Still a great place... one quite often finds oneself in extreme envy mode. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, adammike said:

Lidl,Aldi,

do not sell high quality products they sell ultra high processed food, factory farmed meat and chicken and their fruit and veg are of low quality a few bits and pieces are ok but as in all supermarkets you have to read the labels.Primark sells crap I don't really know about H&M or Burton's these days,but there are Great deals to be had on TVs because there is a lot of competition and you can get bottles of beer and cider at 3 for a fiver.It depends where in the UK your pub is try telling a Londoner that it's cheaper to drink out.If in Thailand you need to eat imported food and products then comparing the price with what you would pay in your home country will hurt and if you eat all your meals out and do your drinking in bars then it's expensive to live anywhere.A mango here will cost €2 I can get 4 or 5 for that in jomtien I don't buy mangoes here,a piece of cheese here say 400gram will cost €6 in Thailand double that I don't buy cheese in Thailand. 

Red Wine