Employer stopped paying social security

I had a small accident yesterday and needed medical treatment so I went to my social security designated hospital.

The reception keyed in my details and then looked surprised. Apparently I wasn't covered by social security anymore as my employee hasn't paid anything for the "many months". No one had bothered to inform us ( the foreign staff).  

I know someone will ask "did you check your payslip?". Well the answer is "No" as we don't get payslips. The money is transferred to our accounts without any documentation.

I tried to contact my boss, but he is abroad for a few weeks. HR said they would "look into it."  Last time they "looked into" something it took nearly two years to do.

So, I would like to know. Is that illegal?

I'm 99% certain that paying social is a legal requirement as is providing pay-slips.

I would be concerned that if they've stopped paying the relatively minimal sums for social, have they been paying your tax (unless you are expected to do your own tax returns).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Crossy is right it is a legal requirement for the employer to provide a payslip detailing all deductions etc.

If you are below the age of 60 (even if above if you have not elected to stop) then it is a legal requirement for the employer to pay the social security payment for you, including their contribution.

• Like 1

[mention=14979]Crossy[/mention] is right it is a legal requirement for the employer to provide a payslip detailing all deductions etc.
If you are below the age of 60 (even if above if you have not elected to stop) then it is a legal requirement for the employer to pay the social security payment for you, including their contribution.
I am now 65. It is a government university and in the 20 years I have worked there I have never seen a payslip.
Yes I pay tax (or used to. Now my salary is so low I don't pay)
My contract is renewed every year and I had it confirmed today that it will be renewed again in September.

What also annoys me most is the fact that they didn't say anything to me.

I have just heard that it is because I am over 60!!! ... yes I was 60 five years ago, but they still paid.

Anyway i have lost my right to free medical treatment, so I plan to go to the social security office on Monday.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sorry mate, but like me you are shafted. I retired at 60 and then arranged for my bank to continue the payments to the SSF to maintain my hospital coverage. This worked well for several years, until a double banger mistake saw the payments stop and my coverage cancelled. I went to the SSO to plead my case, but they would not be swayed - 3 months of non-payment and your coverage is ended. Over 60 and you can't get it resumed. It devastated me and effectively means an end to my time in Thailand where I have lived for 30 years.

• Sad 2

Sorry mate, but like me you are shafted. I retired at 60 and then arranged for my bank to continue the payments to the SSF to maintain my hospital coverage. This worked well for several years, until a double banger mistake saw the payments stop and my coverage cancelled. I went to the SSO to plead my case, but they would not be swayed - 3 months of non-payment and your coverage is ended. Over 60 and you can't get it resumed. It devastated me and effectively means an end to my time in Thailand where I have lived for 30 years.
TIT.
I will go to Social security on Monday and try to find out exactly when the payments were stopped.

My belief is that as long as I am still employed my employer has to continue paying social security for me regardless of my age.

1 hour ago, petedk said:

TIT.
I will go to Social security on Monday and try to find out exactly when the payments were stopped.

My belief is that as long as I am still employed my employer has to continue paying social security for me regardless of my age.

This could very well be your saving grace and I wish you all the best with it. It will be wonderful if it is restored. As always, if you encounter resistence from an SSO staffer, find someone else to talk to that's higher up the food chain. Cheers

• Like 1

I dont want to be the guy to bring it up or ask, but I think this may be relevant for your case.....do you have a VALID work permit?

I remember reading somewhere that foreigners cant get a teaching work permit after 60 years of age. Without a work permit you cannot be registered with Social Security.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Satcommlee said:

For anyone interested you can check your payments record online...

https://www.sso.go.th/wpr/

This is a common scam orchestrated by crooked accountants..

I sent SSO an email to their ask questions link concerning continuing payments after retirement a month ago. Immediately got an auto reply saying they would reply shortly.  Still waiting for a reply. 

9 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Over 60 they don't pay SS, that is normal not a scam.

Read my post, it says 'required'. You asked 'which scam', I answered what I think the scam to be.

Some bad news, found the following in SSO Q&A. Looks like foreigners over 60 cannot get social insurance. Well this may just end my plans for long stay in Thailand. Private insurance is too expensive at 60 years old.  Hope I'm wrong.

Or is this a bad interpretation/translation? 

Can an employee work with an employer at the age of over 60 years old? Can be registered as an insurer?

Answer :

If an employee works with an employer at the age of over 60 years, he cannot register for social security. Therefore cannot exercise the rights that are not due to work But if sickness due to work can use the compensation fund

ลูกจ้างเข้าทำงานกับนายจ้างตอนอายุเกิน 60 ปีบริบูรณ์ สามารถขึ้นทะเบียนเป็นผู้ประกันตน ได้หรือไม่

คำตอบ :

หากลูกจ้างเข้าทำงานกับนายจ้างตอนอายุเกิน 60 ปีบริบูรณ์ ไม่สามารถขึ้นทะเบียนประกันสังคมได้ จึงไม่สามารถใช้สิทธิที่ไม่เนื่องจากการทำงานได้ แต่ถ้าเจ็บป่วยเนื่องจากการทำงานสามารถใช้สิทธิกองทุนเงินทดแทนได้

10 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

You officially retire at 60 and your employer ceases their contribution to the SSF and stops paying in your share. It's then up to you to pay your medical coverage. 

When I retired I went to the SSO in Nonthaburi and sorted out all of the paperwork there (staff are very helpful and friendly). I had the choice of opting for the repayment of my contribution (plus employer's) in a lump sum or taking a monthly pension. I chose the lump sum repayment. The SSO staff also organised for my bank to continue paying the medical coverage of 432 baht a month, which technically you can do until the day you die or voluntarily (or involuntarily in my case) cease making payments for 3 months.

I hope this is of help to others.

Phew!  I was worried there. Great information. 

16 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

You officially retire at 60 and your employer ceases their contribution to the SSF and stops paying in your share. It's then up to you to pay your medical coverage. 

When I retired I went to the SSO in Nonthaburi and sorted out all of the paperwork there (staff are very helpful and friendly). I had the choice of opting for the repayment of my contribution (plus employer's) in a lump sum or taking a monthly pension. I chose the lump sum repayment. The SSO staff also organised for my bank to continue paying the medical coverage of 432 baht a month, which technically you can do until the day you die or voluntarily (or involuntarily in my case) cease making payments for 3 months.

It does, will be 60 in a couple of months and would have forgotten it.

18 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

Quick question if know the answer, if one planning to retire at say 57 year old, can one still pay the 432 baht/month to continue the insurance? 

6 hours ago, petedk said:

TIT.

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune and I'm aware how important such an insurance for people like us really is.

If they stopped paying in when you turned 60, there's absolutely no chance to get back in.

Once six months are over without payment, there's no way to pay in the 438 baht privately.

I hope that they can give you an alternative to continue and please be aware that you can ask for all payments that were made by your employer and by you.

Best of luck to you!!!! 

Edited by Isaanbiker

56 minutes ago, RBOP said:

Quick question if know the answer, if one planning to retire at say 57 year old, can one still pay the 432 baht/month to continue the insurance? 

Yes, you can. But you only have six months time after your employment ends and no payments are made. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, petedk said:

Not true.
I am 65 and have been paying for the past 10 years.

I think Fritz meant the employer stops paying. If you win your case, take over the payments yourself. Arrange to have a designated bank (SSO staff will tell you which ones are used) make the monthly payment for you. All banks have online accounts so you can keep an eye on the amount of money you have - but be careful as banks like the ridiculous Krung Thai have a 30-day time limit on accessing it, which brought me unstuck. Once again good luck.

47 minutes ago, petedk said:

Not true.
I am 65 and have been paying for the past 10 years.
You cannot enroll after passing 60.

To the poster who asked if I have a work permit: yes, I do. I work for a government university.

Read a bit better. You can keep paying to be insured but the employer doesn't pay anymore after 60

Edited by FritsSikkink