Employer stopped paying social security

16 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Read a bit better. You can keep paying to be insured but the employer doesn't pay anymore after 60

That's an agreement between employer and employee.

There are older employees where the school/university still pays in when over 60. 

What's certain is that you can't get into the SS when you're 60, or older.

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune and I'm aware how important such an insurance for people like us really is.

If they stopped paying in when you turned 60, there's absolutely no chance to get back in.

Once six months are over without payment, there's no way to pay in the 438 baht privately.

I hope that they can give you an alternative to continue and please be aware that you can ask for all payments that were made by your employer and by you.

Best of luck to you!!!! 
They paid last year when I was 64 because I used it in August. I was 65 in November.

I don't know when they stopped paying.as I wasn't informed.
I don't receive payslips, so there was no way of knowing.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, RBOP said:

Quick question if know the answer, if one planning to retire at say 57 year old, can one still pay the 432 baht/month to continue the insurance? 

I think you must have been working for 15 years.

Hmm, I wonder. Didn't you notice a bump in your pay check and wonder where the money came from?
No I didn't see any difference. The money goes straight into my account. It does vary a little sometimes for "tax reasons".

Actually when I started "paying" social security the money was deducted but I wasn't registered for a good 14 - 15 months. The money just disappeared into the system. I never received a refund or an explanation.
If anything I was severely punished for going over my bosses head to complain further up in the system.

1 minute ago, petedk said:

No I didn't see any difference. The money goes straight into my account. It does vary a little sometimes for "tax reasons".

Actually when I started "paying" social security the money was deducted but I wasn't registered for a good 14 - 15 months. The money just disappeared into the system. I never received a refund or an explanation.
If anything I was severely punished for going over my bosses head to complain further up in the system.

You could probably sue them and they would be fined for not paying SS but in the end you might get fired. But then you can sue them for again.

On 6/28/2019 at 8:33 PM, petedk said:

I am now 65. It is a government university and in the 20 years I have worked there I have never seen a payslip.
Yes I pay tax (or used to. Now my salary is so low I don't pay)
My contract is renewed every year and I had it confirmed today that it will be renewed again in September.

What also annoys me most is the fact that they didn't say anything to me.

I have just heard that it is because I am over 60!!! ... yes I was 60 five years ago, but they still paid.

Anyway i have lost my right to free medical treatment, so I plan to go to the social security office on Monday.

log into the universities online portal and print a payslip. its what all thai staff would be doing. you will be in their system and so will your payslips

46 minutes ago, RBOP said:

You could probably sue them and they would be fined for not paying SS but in the end you might get fired. But then you can sue them for again.

Suing the university?     They have "deep pockets" but good luck.

Thai social security has a website that anyone paying into the system can view at anytime to see if there employer is doing there part.

Last year My girlfriends employer stopped paying the entire staffs social security and 2 of them actually went to the office in Chon Buri and the office itself contacted the business owner and things were caught up quickly.

Off The government has to forcibly do this and the business owners does not bring accounts up to date the Government can close the business down.

• Like 1

log into the universities online portal and print a payslip. its what all thai staff would be doing. you will be in their system and so will your payslips
Yes. I have heard about that and have searched the website without success. I will go in tomorrow and ask for the link. It is hidden deep down somewhere.

"I know someone will ask "did you check your payslip?". Well the answer is "No" as we don't get payslips. The money is transferred to our accounts without any documentation. "

The first red flag. I ALWAYS demand a copy of my payslip by email and by snail mail. Many times, there are mistakes in my payslip. I get them corrected. If they don't do this for you,  you have a dodgy employer. Sorry, but you had this coming to you.

"I know someone will ask "did you check your payslip?". Well the answer is "No" as we don't get payslips. The money is transferred to our accounts without any documentation. "

The first red flag. I ALWAYS demand a copy of my payslip by email and by snail mail. Many times, there are mistakes in my payslip. I get them corrected. If they don't do this for you,  you have a dodgy employer. Sorry, but you had this coming to you.
Thanks for your kind remarks.

Don't you think I haven't asked for payslips?
I have been working at this place for 20 years and I would say all our foreign teachers have asked for payslips only to be told that the university doesn't issue any.

We used to have to sign in a book that we had received our checks, but about 2 years ago they started to transfer to our bank accounts.

5 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

You are lucky you can "demand" things from your employer. Life becomes pretty miserable at our place if anyone "demands" anything.
I know from personal experience.

When I complained and demanded that something be done , on behalf of about 10 members of staff that our salaries had been deducted for social security contributions for over a year, but that Social security hadn't received our registration applications  ( I know because we called and checked) I was immediately punished.

Suddenly all the rules changed, but not in my favour. Previously I had been the most reliable teacher, often leaving in the middle lunches with my friends on Saturdays or Sundays to fill in for another teacher who suddenly became sick and I was paid well for doing this. Students and teachers asked for me by name on special courses. 

After that day, the payment for special courses was nearly halved. I finished the courses and was never asked to do anymore.

My boss tried to get rid of me. I heard from the Thai staff that she was doing everything to get me out.

She retired 2 years ago and things are slowly changing again.

Edited by petedk
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, petedk said:

You are lucky you can "demand" things from your employer. Life becomes pretty miserable at our place if anyone "demands" anything.
I know from personal experience.

When I complained and demanded that something be done , on behalf of about 10 members of staff that our salaries had been deducted for social security contributions for over a year, but that Social security hadn't received our registration applications  ( I know because we called and checked) I was immediately punished.

Suddenly all the rules changed, but not in my favour. Previously I had been the most reliable teacher, often leaving in the middle lunches with my friends on Saturdays or Sundays to fill in for another teacher who suddenly became sick and I was paid well for doing this. Students and teachers asked for me by name on special courses. 

After that day, the payment for special courses was nearly halved. I finished the courses and was never asked to do anymore.

My boss tried to get rid of me. I heard from the Thai staff that she was doing everything to get me out.

She retired 2 years ago and things are slowly changing again.

Nothing worse than a lowly foreigner catching out a scamming Thai!

Just been to the Social Security and they confirmed that the university is wrong, so they asked for copies of my payslip.

Now at the university and once again I have been told that foreigners cannot see their payslips. I tried online. It is true, I don't have access.

Now waiting for the dean to try and get some kind of print out.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, petedk said:

Just been to the Social Security and they confirmed that the university is wrong, so they asked for copies of my payslip.

Now at the university and once again I have been told that foreigners cannot see their payslips. I tried online. It is true, I don't have access.

They should at least have informed you when they stopped paying in. If you're lucky, the university must pay back for the whole time, and it's possible that you also have to pay a reasonable amount, depending on the time frame. 

But still better than not having an insurance. My currently 438 baht insurance policy has paid a couple of hundred times more for me that my employers and I had paid into the system so far. Best of luck!! 

Edited by Isaanbiker

10 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

Sorry @scoutman360 but foreigner working for government uni or high school never get a slip. I know it since almost 22 years ! But every years when doing my tax paper (when the secretary not forget it) it's printed on how i have paid to the SS system.

BTW @petedk : i "think" i remember reading that our first 18 month onto the system weren't included in the total. I can't be fully certain because i really don't remember where i saw this or who told me.

35 minutes ago, petedk said:

There's something wrong here. I'm sure by law that a pay slip is required (a personnel staffer told me this donkey's years ago). You need to check this with the Labour Department - the department and the Labour Court are reputed for doing their job well and for backing workers, keep that in mind.

One issue bothers me - and that is whether the legal obligation to pay the monthly SS fee falls on you or your employer after you turn 60. In my case I retired at 60, then went on to part-time contracts with my employer. I began making the payment myself through my bank - I didn't check with my personnel people about the company making the payment, I just assumed it was my responsibility. You might want to check that as well.

There's something wrong here. I'm sure by law that a pay slip is required (a personnel staffer told me this donkey's years ago). You need to check this with the Labour Department - the department and the Labour Court are reputed for doing their job well and for backing workers, keep that in mind.

One issue bothers me - and that is whether the legal obligation to pay the monthly SS fee falls on you or your employer after you turn 60. In my case I retired at 60, then went on to part-time contracts with my employer. I began making the payment myself through my bank - I didn't check with my personnel people about the company making the payment, I just assumed it was my responsibility. You might want to check that as well.
Something is strange. My employee paid until I was 64 and suddenly stopped without telling me.
I won't go into the discussions we have had about payslips but basically the Labour court says that as long as we work for the government then we have to talk to the Ministry of Finance. They weren't interested in our case.

Anyway I am on the way to the social security now.

• 1 month later...

Here is an update:

Yes, HR at the university admitted that they made a mistake and that they should pay social security for me.

A few days ago I asked how it was going, only to be told that the finance department refuse to pay.

A new trip to social security and a long talk with the head of the department resulted in the Director of Finance at the university being invited to a meeting at the social security.

In the meantime I have been told that my social security has expired and that I cannot take it up again as I am over 60.

So <deleted>? All a waste of time. Now i have to try and find a good health insurance policy.